By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Mass Effect 2 sells 2 million copies in week one

Scoobes said:

I hope so, for accurracy sake. But as long as Valve remain an Ltd. I'm not sure we'll ever see Steam numbers.

Take a look at http://dev.zr40.nl/steam/games for some indication of Steam sales figures. Bear in mind that this is collated from achievement data scraped from public community profiles, which only account for ~40% of all active accounts, so the actual sales figures will likely be much higher, probably double the numbers here. Unfortunately, figures are only available for games with Steam achievements.

Now, I freely admit this is a big stretch, but if we can extrapolate from peak concurrent users soon after a game has been released to get a ballpark figure for total Steam sales, then it would indicate that both Dragon Age and ME2 have sold extremely well.

This is probably way off target but here's the reasoning-

Torchlight is listed at 170,000 in the first link, it peaked at around 6,000 concurrent users soon after release. Ratio of ~28:1

L4D2 is listed at 680,000 in the first link, it peaked at around 25,000 concurrent users soon after release. Ratio of ~27:1

CoD6 is listed at 1,038,000 and has maintained a peak of around 110,000 concurrent users. Ratio of ~9:1

Mass Effect 2 has so far peaked at 15,500 over its first weekend and Dragon Age peaked at around 18,000 when it got released. Using even the lowest ratio above indicates that both have sold getting on for 150,000 on Steam alone, never mind at retail or through other DD. Using the highest ratios would indicate that they're approaching 500,000 each. Again that's on Steam alone.

Now, the owner of Impulse reckons that Steam accounts for around 70% of total DD sales and from NPD data, retail and DD sales are about equal, although they expected DD to overtake retail this year. For the sake of argument, assume that DD now accounts for 60% of overall sales. Applying these ratios to the lowest estimates above-

ME2:- 15,500 concurrent users => 139,500 sales on Steam (x9 using the CoD 6 ratio) => 199,285 total digital sales (Steam is 70% of the total) => 332,142 overall sales (digital distribution accounts for 60% of overall sales including retail).

Using a similar method with the higher 27:1 figure, gives just under a million as the total. The actual overall figure should therefore be between 332,142 and 1 million. The retail component of this will be between about 133,000 and 400,000.

So no, at retail the PC version has sold nowhere near the 360 version, even using the higher ratio. However, adding in DD the sales are still very healthy and very profitable to EA/ BioWare as there are no licensing fees and the DD version would be expected to realise higher profits as they don't have to ship any physical media.

Of course, you could probably drive a coach and horses through the methodology above, but I think at least it gives an indication of ballpark figures and explains why companies continue to release on the PC- it's simply worth their while and makes them a stack of cash.

As for piracy, checking one of the largest BitTorrent trackers indicates that the XBox 360 pirated version accounts for about 25% of the total number of downloads. Not as high as the PC version of course, but pretty significant all the same.

Oh, and the sales figures on this site are for 360 only. None of GOW, ME 1 or Fable have PC numbers included, they are all at 0.0 m-

Mass Effect.

Fable.

GoW.

Around the Network

i want to play this game but first i have to finish the first one.

greenmedic88 said:
But PC sales don't seem to be bringing publishers the ROI they're looking for on major budget releases or there wouldn't be the shift in emphasis we've been seeing to console gaming. When this comes from long standing traditional PC game developers, the message should be loud and clear.

Personal preferences aside regarding platforms, it's hard to overlook the comparative numbers between PC and console game sales in all but the most hand picked examples.

Long term sales on PC games may not be the factor some are making it out to be in terms of generating revenue as PC games are virtually always discounted sooner and often to clearance level prices. Love the Steam weekend and holiday deals, but can't help but wonder how much purchases on these games are actually benefiting publishers. Not hurting them since there's no inventory being processed, but when you buy a game like Mass Effect for $5, it's hard to think you're giving Bioware your money.

That 5 euro digital sale might be giving them almost as much cash as around 20 euro retail sale for x360 version, and infinitly more then second hand sale of ME1 X360 through ebay.

And that 5 euro sale is just a bonus a money they wouldn't see normally as it either comes from people who previously had no intention of buying those games at retail prices or who pirated it and now had a chance to "legalize" themselves.

Now just becouse sales of pc games in US are crap it doesn't mean they are crap everywhere.

Modern Warfare 2 PC was reported by NPD IIRC at 170k first week or first month. In Poland it sold 23k copies on PC first day, 3,8k on PS3 and 2,5k on X360.

And of course EA has it's own download sales service - which one gives them more money $50 digital sale through their own store or $60 sales through retail from x360 version after all the profit margins for stores, distributors, microsoft ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Xbox 360 blockbuster exclusives are always perform crazy sales numbers. I'm not surprised at all. Even with the major piracy issues Microsoft always out performs in software sales and sets new heights in sales numbers! Mass Effect 2 is the best RPG game iv ever played and seen! I hate RPG games but after playing this, i'm hooked!

ruff_romeo said:
Xbox 360 blockbuster exclusives are always perform crazy sales numbers. I'm not surprised at all. Even with the major piracy issues Microsoft always out performs in software sales and sets new heights in sales numbers! Mass Effect 2 is the best RPG game iv ever played and seen! I hate RPG games but after playing this, i'm hooked!

Mass Effect 2 is not an exclusive and is published by EA, not Microsoft.

Around the Network
selnor said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:
daggy said:
selnor said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:
daggy said:
FaRmLaNd said:
Microsoft were talking specifically about Germany. Where the pc market is bigger then the console market. That same cannot be said about the rest of the world (bar a few select countries).

Considering the delay between the 360 and pc release of mass effect I very much doubt the sales would be very close.

few select countries? How about the entire Asia (except Japan), Eastern Europe, Scandinavia and Oceania. And let's not PC-centric nations like Portugal, France, Netherlands, etc...

I'm not saying that Mass Effect 1 PC sales would be close to the X360 version, but I'm damn sure that it's not as low as 300k.

Dude get over it. Youve seen the proof. Gears Of War 1 was just as bad. That has sold over 6 million. 360 sales of the game are somewhere over 5 million. Because PC version came out when the 360 version was at 5 million it makes the PC version somewhere between 0-1 million. Remeber though the 360 version will still be on sale. I would put the PC version of Gears around 4-600,000. And 360 about 5.5 - 5.8 million. Again thats using this sites accurate figures. MAybe only Asia and Germany buy the PC versions and EVERYWHERE else buys the console versions?

Why are you bringing up the sales of Gears of War 1 when we're talking about sales of Mass Effect 1 & 2? You can't just compare the breakdown of PC games to 360 games for any PC/360 game for reasons stated below. Factors you SHOULD but haven't taken into consideration:

- Gears came out 1 yr after the 360 version, was poorly ported and still has problems for many PC gamers today that means it's actually unplayable. Mass Effect PC version came out approx. 6 months later and was a relatively good port and was slightly improved over the console version. This would have an effect on sales ratio of PC:360 of these 2 games relative to each other.

- This site doesn't track PC sales figures, so we have no way of knowing how well or poorly the PC version of Mass Effect has sold. Considerring EA are releasing this sequel at the sametime as the 360 version suggests the original's PC version DID sell well enough to warrant a same day release for the sequel (i.e >300K).

- PC sales of any game tend to be much longer and drawn out compared to console sales which are much more front-loaded. Digital distribution platforms really help with this.

- In certain markets in Europe and Asia, PC gaming is MUCH larger than console gaming. This is the main reason MS stopped releasing games on PC and 360. Games like Alan Wake have now gone 360 only so PC gamers have to buy a 360 to play it. Same with Halo 3, Gears 2 and Fable 2 & 3. I would argue that even in console-centric markets PC gaming is still more popular than believed due to digital downloads but we have no way of proving or disproving that.

- Bioware still have a very big PC fanbase that remember the days of Baldurs Gate. The sales of Dragon Age Origins proves this.

- Numerous publishers having seen the success of Steam are now releasing their own digital distribution systems and online profile schemes. It seems odd they would be investing like this unless PC games were at least bringing in some decent revenue.

You would be right except for 1 small thing. Every big PC/360 game or M$ exclusive has sold 80+% of it's sales on 360 over PC. Gears 1, ME1, Fable, Halo the list goes on. The majority of PC gamers out there buy and play MMO's, or strategy games. This whole belief of loads of PS3 owners buying a gaming rig to play certain games is so far out of the order. Sales prove it. You will be lucky to see StarCraft 2 hit 1 million first week sales when it's released let alone ME2 on PC. PC players will have downloaded it illegally or will have no rush ( busy doing instance runs on WOW ). Thats why console exclusives hold so much weight and M$ know it. Dont you think if the PC version sold millions then M$ would realise it's hurting there console? They know the 2 markets dont work together and sales show this.

Give me proof that Gears of War 1, ME1, Fable and Halo sold over 80% on xbox, and less than 20% on PC. I just ask you for proof, because so far no one has shown me anything that concludes your statement.

Dude, Starcraft 1 sold only 1.5 millions in it's first year.... now it should be well above 11 millions sold. PC games sell for ages and ages.

And you contradict yourself. Why do you think that Microsoft stopped selling PC versions of their games?! It's because PC affects console sales.

Dude your posting on a sales site. It's very easy to look for it yourself. I have already posted the link which shows you Mass Effect 1 at 2.13 million lifetime sales. And that when the PC version came out it had already sold 1.8 million. Now this site puts both together. All you have to do is a bit of math.

Gears 1 is another example. When it came out on PC Gears 1 had already sold 5.8 million on 360. It currently sits at around 6.2 I think ( without looking again. Do the math. Fable is the same etc etc. And M$ havent stopped them being released simulataneously. They have just been games which started dev on 360 first. Then ported to PC. For a certain even ME2 was 360 dev first, but I bet we would have had it sooner if it wasnt for EA stalling for both versions to release.

This site doesn't put both together. That 2.13 million figure is for sales of Mass Effect on 360 ONLY. This website doesn't track PC sales (you'll see on the link PC apparent;y has 0.00 sales) because it's so difficult to do so. On PC digital downloads makes up a very large percentage of sales making tracking sales very difficult and even harder to do so by a region by region basis as a lot of the digital download sites don't release figures. Link:

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/index.php?name=Mass+Effect

Yes they do. Because you can check Biowares overall Mass Effect 1 sales which include PC/360 together. It's pretty inline with 2.13. 

Another thing why it's easy to tell the site puts both together? You can see small spikes in the numbers for Gears 1, Fable and Halo 2. Or are you gonna say it's coincidence that the spikes are on PC's release weeks? 

Than why bother with putting up both versions as seperate entities in the database? It makes no sense whatsoever. Also, how on Earth are we tracking PC sales figures when the vast majority of tracking firms have a tough enough job already with a much larger data set. And it's even more of a problem to break it down on a region to region basis.

And can you link where Bioware have announced total ME1 sales figures for PC and 360? All I can find is a 2 million figure for 360 sales.

Foamer said:
Scoobes said:

I hope so, for accurracy sake. But as long as Valve remain an Ltd. I'm not sure we'll ever see Steam numbers.

Take a look at http://dev.zr40.nl/steam/games for some indication of Steam sales figures. Bear in mind that this is collated from achievement data scraped from public community profiles, which only account for ~40% of all active accounts, so the actual sales figures will likely be much higher, probably double the numbers here. Unfortunately, figures are only available for games with Steam achievements.

Now, I freely admit this is a big stretch, but if we can extrapolate from peak concurrent users soon after a game has been released to get a ballpark figure for total Steam sales, then it would indicate that both Dragon Age and ME2 have sold extremely well.

This is probably way off target but here's the reasoning-

Torchlight is listed at 170,000 in the first link, it peaked at around 6,000 concurrent users soon after release. Ratio of ~28:1

L4D2 is listed at 680,000 in the first link, it peaked at around 25,000 concurrent users soon after release. Ratio of ~27:1

CoD6 is listed at 1,038,000 and has maintained a peak of around 110,000 concurrent users. Ratio of ~9:1

Mass Effect 2 has so far peaked at 15,500 over its first weekend and Dragon Age peaked at around 18,000 when it got released. Using even the lowest ratio above indicates that both have sold getting on for 150,000 on Steam alone, never mind at retail or through other DD. Using the highest ratios would indicate that they're approaching 500,000 each. Again that's on Steam alone.

Now, the owner of Impulse reckons that Steam accounts for around 70% of total DD sales and from NPD data, retail and DD sales are about equal, although they expected DD to overtake retail this year. For the sake of argument, assume that DD now accounts for 60% of overall sales. Applying these ratios to the lowest estimates above-

ME2:- 15,500 concurrent users => 139,500 sales on Steam (x9 using the CoD 6 ratio) => 199,285 total digital sales (Steam is 70% of the total) => 332,142 overall sales (digital distribution accounts for 60% of overall sales including retail).

Using a similar method with the higher 27:1 figure, gives just under a million as the total. The actual overall figure should therefore be between 332,142 and 1 million. The retail component of this will be between about 133,000 and 400,000.

So no, at retail the PC version has sold nowhere near the 360 version, even using the higher ratio. However, adding in DD the sales are still very healthy and very profitable to EA/ BioWare as there are no licensing fees and the DD version would be expected to realise higher profits as they don't have to ship any physical media.

Of course, you could probably drive a coach and horses through the methodology above, but I think at least it gives an indication of ballpark figures and explains why companies continue to release on the PC- it's simply worth their while and makes them a stack of cash.

As for piracy, checking one of the largest BitTorrent trackers indicates that the XBox 360 pirated version accounts for about 25% of the total number of downloads. Not as high as the PC version of course, but pretty significant all the same.

Oh, and the sales figures on this site are for 360 only. None of GOW, ME 1 or Fable have PC numbers included, they are all at 0.0 m-

Mass Effect.

Fable.

GoW.

Thanks for the info. An interesting estimation. So PC could account for anywhere between 330K-1M sales of ME2, which even at the low end is a significant amount of revenue comming in.

Bickering aside, this means that ME2 will outsell ME1 very soon. It nearly shipped in a week what ME1 sold lifetime. Combine that with Ioi having ME2's first week sales being 67% of ME1's lifetime sales and this means good things for Bioware. EA has to been happy. Which means they'll continue to leave Bioware alone to do what they want. That is good for us gamers.

selnor said:
daggy said:
selnor said:
daggy said:
Swordy said:
selnor said:

What the hell?

People are saying the PC version sold more????????????????

Looking at history for Mass Effect 1, the PC version accounts for less than 400,000. ME1 was released on 360 on 20 Nov 2007. Up to May 2008 when the PC version released the 360 version had sold 1.8 million copies. ME1 currently sits at 2.13 million. So that means PC accounts for anywhere between 200,000 to 300,000 of ME1. Now also notice that there is no spike on the PC release week here ( week 33 ).

http://www.vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?game1=MassEffect - X360[7635]

Going by this logic, and exactly the same logic as with Gears Of War 1. It would suggest that over 80% of sales are on the 360. Because 1. Only 300,000 or less have ME1 saves on PC for ME2 and 2. All the previous cross over sales for any big 360/PC game show 360 having 80+% of the sales.

So my guess is 360 ME2 has sold between 1.2 and 1.4 million in the US, and PC will have sold around 50-180,000.

Also these figures are not counting EU sales. Because it came out here today.

Finally a sensible post. PC has alot more problems with piracy, look at MW2, it sold something like 750k on PC, but nearly 5 million copies were downloaded illegally.

You do know he's being sarcastic, right?! He showed no source from where he based his argument.

LOL. I'm not being sarcastic. I posted the link to the sales of MAss Effect 1 history on this very site. You did click the link didnt you? And you are aware the release dates of PC and 360 versions right?

First, your link was wrong since you mispelled Mass Effect when you tried to make it show it's chart. Second, the chart itself has nothing to do with the PC version, so how the hell does someone even extrapolate the sales of the PC version from just that?

It's very easy, the 360 version came out Nov 20 2007. Week 1. The PC version came out MAy 2008. This site puts both 360 and PC sales together. So When the PC version released when the sales were already at 1.8 million it's now today at 2.13 means the PC version has sold anywhere upto 300,000. See?

Edit: the link has since been fixed.

I have a feeling that is wrong.. I believe it sold those extra and got a small boost when it became a platinum hit. The PC version sold like shit though, you have that correct, and it was pirated alot. Mostly just PC gamers who felt they were entitled to a free game, lol.

I wish I could find an article about how bad it sold, but it was a late port so EA must not have cared that much. No figures anouncements or anything. While ME1 for xbox has alot of sales info for it. It's called google, people. Sometimes it's not what you fgind, but what you can't find.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
selnor said:

It's very easy, the 360 version came out Nov 20 2007. Week 1. The PC version came out MAy 2008. This site puts both 360 and PC sales together. So When the PC version released when the sales were already at 1.8 million it's now today at 2.13 means the PC version has sold anywhere upto 300,000. See?

Edit: the link has since been fixed.

I have a feeling that is wrong.. I believe it sold those extra and got a small boost when it became a platinum hit. The PC version sold like shit though, you have that correct, and it was pirated alot. Mostly just PC gamers who felt they were entitled to a free game, lol.

I wish I could find an article about how bad it sold, but it was a late port so EA must not have cared that much. No figures anouncements or anything. While ME1 for xbox has alot of sales info for it. It's called google, people. Sometimes it's not what you fgind, but what you can't find.

We have no way of knowing this though. It's been available for digital download and had many sales on Steam etc. Also PC games aren't very front heavy so it may have sold better than the 360 version for a few of the later weeks.

One thing we can check and know for sure, it was pirated a lot, lol. I don't think the DRM helped much either. The sequel doen't have the annoying DRM of the original luckily.