By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo and their localization efforts on the Wii.

Except no one cares about any of those games that weren't released here.

Around the Network

another code r and disaster day of crisis made it to europe and they sold really well so they should go to the usa disaster day of crisis 250k approx
another code r 200k approx

Well, Nintendo treated them as crap, perhaps if they had hyped them more, like what they are actually doing with Zangeki no Reginleiv, they could have been successes. People would have cared, Zangeki is a clear indication.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

trestres said:
I think it's time for Nintendo to expand their Western development. Japanese gamers have shown time and again that they are not interested in these small new projects Nintendo is making. Why not give the USA a chance? The possible target audience is too big to ignore. Plus some games not being localized have made no sense at all.

It's time for Nintendo to move on. Sony already did, and their Western focused games have been successes. If we won't be able to play their Japanese oriented games, at least they should have something else for us. Not fair majority of their core new IP's will never make it here.

Yea but aside from gamers like me (which are very few and in between) it's doubtful any of these games will ever become any form of a success.  Localization isn't cheap and they definitely know that.  Now ones that made it to Europe and not America, well that's definitely an issue I have, but ones that have purely stayed in Japan were probably not expensive games to make in the first place and even if Nintendo didn't sell too much of them it's doubtful they lost too much. 

Really I'm not entirely sure why some of those titles were made without the intention of pushing them, but I'd need to ask Nintendo that.  Possibly allowing developer freedom within or simply development issues for those projects along the way and simply "getting them off the slate". 

But I think that's a good question for all Japanese companies who are looking to expand Western development.  It ain't easy haha.  Funny telling Nintendo that considering they are the most successful Japanese company in the west (hell most successful publisher in the world in the industry).  But should they start making region specific games for the West?  Probably so.  But NoA would need to expand more as all of this still happens in Japan of course.  Maybe take a few American studios as Retro Studios does seem to be the main one.  But it's going to be hard to argue with Nintendo that they need more Western specific development when there established franchises sell loads in the west.

kevinrize said:
another code r and disaster day of crisis made it to europe and they sold really well so they should go to the usa disaster day of crisis 250k approx
another code r 200k approx

That's great if true. Where did you get those numbers from?

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

@Zucas: Nintendo is always trying to find the next big thing in Japan, but they are content with their old time franchises selling well in the West. They haven't tried much since the GC era with ED and Geist. I'm surprised we've seen no new Western IP's from them, their Western studios have shared no info whatsoever for the entire gen.

More studios should be something urgent for them, they are losing a lot of probable profits. Meanwhile their Japanese studios are making small games that have no appeal even to the Japanese. They could make some Western games while they are at it.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

Snesboy said:

Except for Fatal Frame IV. It baffles me as to why Nintendo didn't localize this. With their push, it could crack 200k easily US+EU...

It would be intresting if you could add Europe to your lists. Because some of the games which are not available in USA are available in Europe. (and vice versa) The in Europe available games should be:

Wii Chess
Disaster: Day of Crisis
NPC Pikmin 2
Another Code R

The good thing is, they are translated into UK-english and could be played on a homebrew-enabled Wii. (Besides, they are already localized, so I think it wouldn't be too expensive to localize them again into US-english.)

Also Fatal Frame 4 was translated by fans and the imported game can even be played on a non-homebrew enabled Wii.

I know it would be nicer to get an officially translated game from nintendo. And sometimes I don't understand nintendos release strategy ... (They released Disaster Day of Crisis, an action game, in Europe but not in America and they released Excite bots, a racing game, in America but not in Europe ...)

Still, if you take imports, the fan translation and Sorikus comment about 2010 into account, than the lists doesn't look too bad from a gamers point of view.

routsounmanman said:
Snesboy said:

Except for Fatal Frame IV. It baffles me as to why Nintendo didn't localize this. With their push, it could crack 200k easily US+EU...

I must have not seen that one...okay, there's one exception everyone!

I honestly don't remember this much crying when we didn't get Doshin the Giant, Giftpia, Kururin squash or the first Custom Robo. Yet tantrums are thrown when games like Captain Rainbow don't make it here, even though the game itself would have to be butchered/censored and then sold at a budget price to even remotely appealing so as to not incur losses on the localization effort in the first.

There were times when we used to have to wait upwards to a year for something like Zelda after Japan got it. That's what I consider ONE YEAR (or more) LATE!!!111!1!1, not something that came out a quarter or two later, which just happened to be in the next calender year.

EDIT: Also, I wouldn'tjump to conclusions about Monado turning into Xenoblade. May be true, may not be true. I'll wait for confirmation.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"