By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So here's what I think of the PS3

I've spoken to a freelancer who's very familiar with Japanese consoles and he advice me NOT to plug it in the power socket, it has to say 100-240 volt on the sticker and I don't feel like breaking open my console which doesn't have any screws, only to look what Power Supply it has... . I thank you guys for the advices, but I simply don't wanna take any risks...

P.S. Sony Europe has always been an asshole especially when it comes to import. No wonder why Lik Sang no longer excists and companies like Play Asia and Yes Asia no longer ship any official Sony PS3 / PSP products to the European Union. So that doesn't surprise me... at all.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network
twesterm said:
phil said:
Andir said:
twesterm said:
phil said:

"The SIXAXIS controls for the walking across logs wasn’t bad, but I had to wave the controller about wildly to get myself to fall off the log."

Then you weren't doing it right. Small tilts are plenty. When are you going to point out the game's shortcomings rather than your own?

If you pay attention that was a shortcoming. If the gag is a balancing bit then if I wave the controller about wildly I should fall. Instead, the player character continues to wobble. You shouldn't have to try to make yourself fall.

As for the pressing the right buttons thing, on the first time you press X you only have to press it once even though the button animates. The rest of the times you have to keep pressing X even though the button is animated button is doing the same exact thing.

As you can plainly see, I clear the whole fight with ease and Nariko is rolling about, moving around the platform, jumping up in the air, and doing finishing moves and I am only pressing two buttons the entire video. I never once press the analog sticks.

I actually recorded a video on my phone when I first ran through that same section in the demo (I still haven't bought the game) doing the two button test and I died. Ran out of health. I deleted it and made another just to continue testing and I lived. I noticed one thing though. When doing the simple two button combos and not killing the mobs quickly, the enemies seemed easier. What I found interesting is that when I actually tried, using multiple combos and such, it was easier to die (harder to stay alive) because they attack you in multiples and don't hold back as much. Now, either I'm doing something totally wrong in trying, or the game is smart enough to know when I'm really sucking (AKA, not killing fast/only pressing two buttons) and it doesn't send that next pack of enemies. I'd need one of the devs to straighten that out for me, but I'm guessing by my first trial, and subsequent tests that it was either a strange coincidence or an oversight on the development of the game. (Seriously, how many Q/A people will try to only use two buttons? Maybe it was intentional to make it fun for some little kid who got the game for Christmas?) Also, those two buttons make up a tremendous amount of combos. Maybe if they had fewer you might do worse? I don't know.

Also, I'd like a few reports on how many Wii owners totally fail when they swing their controller around like an idiot.

So you've just admitted that it doesn't actually work the way you said. Half the time you do that, you die. On the ones where you live, you lose half of your health in less than a minute on the easiest fight in the game. Congratulations.

Edit: Oops, replied to the wrong post. My point still stands: you lost half your health in under a minute on the easiest fight in the game. I'm willing to bet I could accomplish the same in most other 3d platformers.

Not really. I said I got up and got a drink which takes at the most 30 seconds and the video I went ahead and just did the whole fight. Also, I would say I never lost a 1/3 of my health and that was just in the initial part. All I did was call your little BS boast and then some and now you're angry you got proven absolutely completely wrong.

And just for grins and giggles, I'll call complete BS on the bolded part in your quote. Video or it can't happen. Lets see you do something like that in any other 3D platformer.

You clearly had about half your health knocked off at the end of that fight(the circle doesn't go all the way around, remember).

Before I have my own grins and giggles and pull your pants down around your ankles for the whole world to see, I want to make sure I'm not about to waste my time and have you pull some bullshit.  So answer this: God if War II, shit game or not?  You have two choices.  Either you think it's shit, so your opinion really doesn't matter, or you think it's a good game, and I get to screw you.  Take your pick.

You forgot the third answer: haven't played it.

You've speculated before. Why not the wild uneducated BS now?

onna: you can just plug it into the socket. No one makes non-switching power supplies any more, it costs barely anything more to make it switching and it's much more expensive to have two separate power supply manufacturing lines. No modern electronics will break if you give it 240v instead of 100v, it will work just fine.

If you want to get your converter to feel safe then fine, but I wouldn't bother with it. Despite what the sticker says, the PS3 can easily handle 240v, I guarantee the power supply in the Japanese/US PS3 is identical to the power supply in the Euro PS3.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network
Munkeh said:
Kasz216 said:
That video is... pretty bad. Even Dynasty Warriors wouldn't let you get by without looking at the screen in any part of the game, or not moving the control stick.

Even FF12 makes you awlk up to the baddies. Still, just like FF12, you only have to play that way if you want too. Me I always keep 1 character with his gambits off.

KH 2 was one of the worst culprets, you could go into a level and just smack X and everyone would be dead, but it was still a great game

I did the same in FF 12, if you didn't even control 1 character, what was the point? 

Exactly, 12 has a lot of flaws, like basically being nothing but a starwars/Ogre Battle homage more then it's own game but i mean the battle system, you can decide how automatic you want it to be. 

phil said:

I had a nice little response all typed up with speculations on my thoughts of God of War II but I decided I really don't want to give them to you. Not because I'm afraid you're going to rape me, but because I have no reason to.

If I say I love the game, you come up with your awesome proof that I know nothing and make me go home crying even though you're only going off a game I've never really played. If I say I don't like the game you'll say since I don't like that game I can't like any game similar to it which is crap. Am I not allowed to like Starcraft if I don't like Warcraft? Am I not allowed to like Doom 3 if I don't like Quake 4? Am I not allowed to like Super Mario Galaxy if I don't like Ratchet and Clank? Am I not allowed to like Excite Truck because I don't like Motorstorm? the list goes on.

Actually, nevermind all that, I feel like being fickle today. I love God of War II. I'm all for wasting your time and seeing your thread closing show.

omgwtfbbq said:
onna: you can just plug it into the socket. No one makes non-switching power supplies any more, it costs barely anything more to make it switching and it's much more expensive to have two separate power supply manufacturing lines. No modern electronics will break if you give it 240v instead of 100v, it will work just fine.

If you want to get your converter to feel safe then fine, but I wouldn't bother with it. Despite what the sticker says, the PS3 can easily handle 240v, I guarantee the power supply in the Japanese/US PS3 is identical to the power supply in the Euro PS3.

I would probably get a converter to be on the safe side.  I skimmed the book tonight and it specifically states 120V on both the manual and the box.  I know alot of computer supplies are coming with the auto switching capability but you never know.  I wouldn't risk it.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

twesterm said:

phil said:

I had a nice little response all typed up with speculations on my thoughts of God of War II but I decided I really don't want to give them to you. Not because I'm afraid you're going to rape me, but because I have no reason to.

If I say I love the game, you come up with your awesome proof that I know nothing and make me go home crying even though you're only going off a game I've never really played. If I say I don't like the game you'll say since I don't like that game I can't like any game similar to it which is crap. Am I not allowed to like Starcraft if I don't like Warcraft? Am I not allowed to like Doom 3 if I don't like Quake 4? Am I not allowed to like Super Mario Galaxy if I don't like Ratchet and Clank? Am I not allowed to like Excite Truck because I don't like Motorstorm? the list goes on.

Actually, nevermind all that, I feel like being fickle today. I love God of War II. I'm all for wasting your time and seeing your thread closing show.

You're allowed to like or hate whatever combination of game you want.  But if you're not objective about it, you're not allowed to pretend that what you think matters.  I know I'm not terribly objective, so I don't go around telling people that X is garbage.  This is what we call intellectual honesty!

Also,  pretending that you no longer care about your original criticism because you know it's about to get hosed is pretty cowardly.  Why don't you just admit that it was crap in the first place?  It's not that hard, really.

phil said:
twesterm said:

phil said:

You're allowed to like or hate whatever combination of game you want. But if you're not objective about it, you're not allowed to pretend that what you think matters. I know I'm not terribly objective, so I don't go around telling people that X is garbage. This is what we call intellectual honesty!

Also, pretending that you no longer care about your original criticism because you know it's about to get hosed is pretty cowardly. Why don't you just admit that it was crap in the first place? It's not that hard, really.

I tell you I've never played God of War II and you get unhappy and tell me pretend.  I do that and you're still unhappy.  I really don't know what you want me to do there.

As for Heavenly Sword, I don't get where you got that I wasn't objective.  I went at the game with an open mind and hated it.  If I came back and said I loved it, would I automatically be biased for it and considered a fanboy?

As for not sticking to my  criticisms of the game, where have I faltered on those?  If I didn't care about them or stand behind I wouldn't bother replying.  Now with God of War II, yeah, I don't stand behind made up criticisms of that game because I've never played the game and they're, you know, made up.