By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So here's what I think of the PS3

I have ff7, ff8, ff10 and ff10-2 characters

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Around the Network
*~Onna76~* said:

Which HDMI cable is the best by the way? I hear about Profigold and Monstercable, but Monstercables are ridiculously expensive, or are the Sony HDMI cables good as well?

I've decided to buy a step down converter, cost me over 60USD, but I know the brand, have used it always for the PS2, but that one is too light for the PS3 to use it. Better not take any risks plugging the PS3 in the powersocket no matter if the store says it will work. If the PS3 says 100Volt only then I guess you shouldn't mess with any other voltages.

The monster looks pretty damn sexy on my cupboard if I may say so :D

Hope for you you didn't buy that 60$ converter 'cause you don't need one, a friend bought a ps3 while in NY 3 weeks ago and had the same dillema when seeing the 100 volts only sticker at the back of the ps3, after some search on the net he found out all ps3 apparently have the same power supply unit. so he plugged it and it's just fine, you'll find similar posts on a lot of other european forums.

I did, I don't feel like blowing up a 600USD console to the moon ;) Or even worse... blow up an entire home. Why would Sony put a sticker on the back of the console or write down in a manual that the console can only be connected to a 100 volt power socket, any higher can blow the thing up, but in the meantime you can just put it in a 240V powersocket. Doesn't make sense to me. If the Power Wire would at least have an AC Adapter then yes, it is possible, as the WII has that too. Also says 100 volt, but the power wire with adapter converts the 220 volts from the power socket to 100 volts to the WII. Its even bad for a WII to use the AC Adapter with a Step Down Converter, as mine blew up within 6 months and bought one here in the Netherlands.

The PS3 receives 220-240volt straight from the power circuit as it doesn't have an AC Adapter.

By the way, how can you see what kind of power supply your PS3 has?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but didn't feel like making a new topic for this.

Anyways, I got a PS3 about a week ago and my feelings weren't too great for the console. That said, I'm still not too terribly upset since I didn't really have to pay much, just a huge collection of DVD's. So lets skip forward to yesterday and the announcement of the game I'm working on.

Our boss John gathers us all up for the good job on getting where we are speech and all that hoopla (not discounting it, just yall probably don't want to read it). So he gets to the Game Informer magazine and how we were all supposed to receive a free copy Friday but it accidentally got sent two day air instead of overnight. He then proceeded to tell us that Target had some spiffy Ghostbuster shirts and we would all get one of them.

He then told us that we would all receive a free Spiderman 3 BluRay movie. There was an awkward silence since nobody really likes that movie and maybe three of us could actually play it. He has a kind of confused look on his face and ask how many of us actually have BluRay players. I timidly raise my hand (and I'm the only one, the other two don't want to) and we all have a good laugh.

After that, he says oh, we will have to fix that and just give all of you a PS3. There was a moment of silence and then laughter because we had been joking about that a few weeks earlier since everyone received a Wii for Christmas last year from the company. He lets of laugh a little while and stays serious and then says no really. He then tells us we're getting a free BluRay remote (which I already bought too >_<) and a certificate for a free game (think I'm getting Eye of Judgment with a bunch of people). It takes a moment for the info to seep in but we were all pretty happy.

So yeah, point of story: a week after getting a more or less free PS3 I get a completely free one. The only catch is that the more or less free one was an 80 gig with BC, the free one is a 40gig with no BC so not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm pretty sure I can still return my 80gig but I *really* don't want to lose BC but I *really* like completely free.

Damn choices. <--my actual face the last 4 days

twesterm said:

So yeah, point of story: a week after getting a more or less free PS3 I get a completely free one. The only catch is that the more or less free one was an 80 gig with BC, the free one is a 40gig with no BC so not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm pretty sure I can still return my 80gig but I *really* don't want to lose BC but I *really* like completely free.

Damn choices. <--my actual face the last 4 days

That is awesome.  It's still a PS3... but free is always great.

Around the Network

Yeah, pretty much have to decide if I just want to keep the 80gig and sell the 40 or return the 80 and see if Movie Trading Company will just order new games for me as they come up.

I was going to just give the 40 to my sister and her family as their Christmas present but they apparently recently got one to get my game when it comes out (they're anti MS since the husband is a Linux dork).

why not trade the PS3 into EB/Gamestop. You should get if, its an unopened package, about full price (about $349). My friend traded his unopened 360 he won in a contest and got within 70 bucks of the reg. price.

Also, if you could message TheSource (or me), I'd like to get an interview with lead dev. Well email some questions. =P 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Kasz216 said:
That video is... pretty bad. Even Dynasty Warriors wouldn't let you get by without looking at the screen in any part of the game, or not moving the control stick.

Even FF12 makes you awlk up to the baddies. Still, just like FF12, you only have to play that way if you want too. Me I always keep 1 character with his gambits off.

KH 2 was one of the worst culprets, you could go into a level and just smack X and everyone would be dead, but it was still a great game

I did the same in FF 12, if you didn't even control 1 character, what was the point? 

add me

*~Onna76~* said:

I did, I don't feel like blowing up a 600USD console to the moon ;) Or even worse... blow up an entire home. Why would Sony put a sticker on the back of the console or write down in a manual that the console can only be connected to a 100 volt power socket, any higher can blow the thing up, but in the meantime you can just put it in a 240V powersocket. Doesn't make sense to me. If the Power Wire would at least have an AC Adapter then yes, it is possible, as the WII has that too. Also says 100 volt, but the power wire with adapter converts the 220 volts from the power socket to 100 volts to the WII. Its even bad for a WII to use the AC Adapter with a Step Down Converter, as mine blew up within 6 months and bought one here in the Netherlands.

The PS3 receives 220-240volt straight from the power circuit as it doesn't have an AC Adapter.

By the way, how can you see what kind of power supply your PS3 has?

well as I said my friend plugged his US ps3 to 220/240, if it was not compatible it would have burned the thing in the second, now it's not surprising from Sony, that same friend bought Assassin's Creed yesterday and it says on the back of the game it can only be played on European ps3...   wtf,  of course it played on his us ps3...

check this link 

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4908&ref=y

if you don't want to go through the whole article :

"The entire power supply is built into the PlayStation 3. The Xbox 360 requires an external "brick" that can be swapped out depending on the local regulations for electronic devices. The US and Japan uses 110-120V, 60Hz adaptors. We have confirmation from SCEA now that the power supply inside the Playstation 3 is, in fact, universal. The power supply supports 100 to 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hertz, which is useable in all modern power grids -- including Europe. Although European markers require a different physical plug for their infrastructure, there is no need to replace the power supply."