By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Alan Wake will 'blur line between games and TV'

tensen1212 said:
wait a minute theres a pc version? i thought it was cancelled.

No word by anyone that it has been, outside of this article.  I believe the reporters likely forgot the PC version was cancelled. 

Anyhow, I hope it does deliver as they say.  But now, whenever I see hype like this, the song "Oh no you didn't" (Mercenary 2 theme song) comes to mind, along with the line "Sucka tried to play me". 

Around the Network

Yeah, I've read somewhere how companies use to talk wonders about their games :)

I remember the good old days when GTA4 was gonna be just epic.

I'm not trashing alan wake, but this "news" are utter trash. You don't expect a company to kill their game.

If this comes from an outside source I think I'll believe when I get my paws on the game.

between games and tv?? that's a first...anyways i loved the story driven epic mix of game/movie in uncharted 2 and i think i'll love it in allen wake as well.

richardhutnik said:
tensen1212 said:
wait a minute theres a pc version? i thought it was cancelled.

No word by anyone that it has been, outside of this article.  I believe the reporters likely forgot the PC version was cancelled.

Anyhow, I hope it does deliver as they say.  But now, whenever I see hype like this, the song "Oh no you didn't" (Mercenary 2 theme song) comes to mind, along with the line "Sucka tried to play me".

...and before my minds eye i see Krusty the Clown doing Ventriloquism, trying to upstage Gabbo

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

The N64 blurred that line ages ago!

Around the Network

and the game was never delayed, because it never had a release-date...

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Should be interesting.

Beuli2 said:

Yeah, and Heavy Rain will be the closest thing to real life, we get it, developer games just do not want games to be games anymore and other crap.

This thread is not a about the meshing of real life and games it is about meshing TV and games... 

Heavy Rain is about creating a real life, physchologically thrilling, interactive experience.

Alan Wake is focused on a fantasy, physchologically thrilling, interactive, and episodic experience.

Subtle,  but very different...  Heavy Rain is saying we will walk you through a movie that tries to make everything as real as possible.  Alan Wake isn't concerned about realism as much as it is the pyschological thrill ride.  And they want to keep the story going through episodic content after as well (Much like TV episodes).

Man, IGN's going to hammer it on presentation if it really has blurry lines! ;)

Will the game have pre-programed events and gameplay triggers?
Will the game have pre-programed movements and character animations?
Will the game have pre-programed dialogue and reactions to events?

....if so, I really don't see how it'll be any different from any of the games we have today or have had in the past. From Resident Evil 4 to Uncharted 2. But as for being like TV, scripted and always doing the same things, then sure.

I really think gaming should try to stop pushing the 'realism' barrier until they can. Sure, we can produce amazing graphics, but we still can't break any other threshold. Characters will still repeat animations, still just use voice actors to repeat lines of dialogue and still just mimic movies to 'appear' like they're real. In many ways, games still have a long ways to go just to reach the freedom of interaction two characters on a movie screen can have.

Six upcoming games you should look into: