By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Can't decide whether to get Windows 7 32bit or 64bit?

So I plan on getting windows 7 (XP had a good run) but I'm just not sure if I should get the 64 bit version or the 32 bit. From my understanding 32 bit only supports up to 4 GB or RAM (right?), and I currently have 2 GB right now and I do plan on upgrading that soon to 4 GB and maybe more (my motherboard can apparently support up to 16 GB of RAM).

Is the 64 bit more for the 'extreme' user or is it fine for a casual user like me?

Would I have any problems with some drivers not working?

Is it really a whole lot different then 32 bit?

Is it easier to have 32 bit then 64 bit or are they basically the same?

Around the Network

for a casual user im not sure why you would need much more than 4gb of ram, i'd go with 32bit

64bit/32bit depends on the motherboard speed doesn't it? (bus system)

I would say get 64bit... I haven't tried both but mine is 64bit Ultimate and it's awesome... and you still have x86 program files so I would guess everything should work (and you can download new drivers)

I'd like to hear input on this too. The only thing I know is that since 2GB RAM already has started to feel little, 4GB will feel little in a couple of years. Meanwhile an OS is something you keep for several years and usually transfer to your next comp. I need support for more than 4GB RAM in the long run.

Slimebeast said:
I'd like to hear input on this too. The only thing I know is that since 2GB RAM already has started to feel little, 4GB will feel little in a couple of years. Meanwhile an OS is something you keep for several years and usually transfer to your next comp. I need support for more than 4GB RAM in the long run.

Lol, apart from Windows 7 having "standby" RAM I don't often exceed 2GB.

Around the Network

There's no point really in getting 32-bit. Go for the 64-bit version.

The only exception would be if you don't have a CPU that supports AMD64 - which, unless you've got something extremely ancient, it would, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89

Well, 32-bit can only "see" 4 gig of ram, total, and that includes the ram on your video card. AKA, if you have a 1 gig video card, your computer will only ever use 3 gig of system ram.

64-bit fixes that problem.

Here is the deal, all new CPU should be 64 bit compatible. The license for Windows 7 is good for both 32/64 bit for any edition. So if you have say Pro (get at least Pro), then you can switch out to 64/32 any time, the hassle is the re-installation.

I suggest you get 32 bit. The deal is that 64 bit is still a bit of an issue with compatibility. (Also, Windows 8 is supposed to be 128 bit).

My example of incompatibility: I am researching for my professor on CUDA for structure from motion. x64 Windows does not support CUDA with visual studio 2008. I tried all the hacks, but none of them worked. Once I downgraded to 32 bits, I just installed it and everything worked immediately.

There's is no reason not to get 64-bit....

EDIT: Oh I know one ! Canon is lazy and doesn't release a 64-bit driver for my laser printer >.>

phnguyen89 said:
Here is the deal, all new CPU should be 64 bit compatible. The license for Windows 7 is good for both 32/64 bit for any edition. So if you have say Pro (get at least Pro), then you can switch out to 64/32 any time, the hassle is the re-installation.

I suggest you get 32 bit. The deal is that 64 bit is still a bit of an issue with compatibility. (Also, Windows 8 is supposed to be 128 bit).

My example of incompatibility: I am researching for my professor on CUDA for structure from motion. x64 Windows does not support CUDA with visual studio 2008. I tried all the hacks, but none of them worked. Once I downgraded to 32 bits, I just installed it and everything worked immediately.

Like I said I'm more of a casual user, 95% of the time all I'll be using is internet browsers and the other 5% would be anti virus programs. And the odd time some games.

(And I guess WMP is playing 100% of the time.)