By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata 'TURNED down Natal tech' back in 2007 --Good decision or not? (rumor)

yeah, good for rhem (and for my wallet, wii would have really costed a lot m ore)

Around the Network

i think nintendo made the right choice. eyetoy proved to me as a gamer that a physical device is needed to get more from gaming. motion sensing tech such as natal or eyetoy is not all so brilliant once the novelty wears off.

Where natal might work extremely well is if they start incorporating this tech with tv's, br players, dvd players, pc's etc.

However, in the fanboy wars, whether Natal is great or not is irrelevant. For MS to succeed, i reckon people will flock to it and carry it whether it does anything for gaming or not.

Iwata confirms that Natal will bomb?

wait and see ...

Time to Work !

disolitude said:
LOL - Couldn't sell it at Nintendo price point.

Iwata - "Its a good tech but we can't make gazillion dolalrs off the hardware so we passed on it...Oh and yeah latency issue, miyamotto said something about it and other stuff."

In business though that is very important. I would have pointed that out, but you got it first :)

Also I know people like to forget this, but Natal is a highly segrated device. It's meant to enhance the current game play style or have very simple games. Those games that still require a controller will still be leaving expanded market out. This is not an effective bridge device. Though I would love to see these attached to my DVD players and computer as a new form of interface for sit back and use purposes.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network

This could be the Playstation 'add-on' all over again for Nintendo. Time will tell. Though Iwata didn't burn any bridges. He just told them flat out that he couldn't launch it at a reasonable price, and I'm sure that was true in 2007. Add a few years, and MS money, and we have another story. Though Natal's biggest flaw is it's launching near the end of this generatiosn cycle (Assuming it ends in a couple of years) but as someone said, if it doesn't fail it will be something the other competitors will have to deal with going into the next gen.

i think the most interesting part of this is that nintendo didnt want the technology at such a high price. I still dont see natal doing anything when it comes to light in fact even more now they have dropped the processor. If nintendo didnt want it for their family orientated games and wouldnt fi into their games there's not much hope of microsoft hitting the casuals with anything good for sure

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

disolitude said:

Iwata - "Its a good tech but we can't make gazillion dolalrs off the hardware so we passed on it...Oh and yeah latency issue, miyamotto said something about it and other stuff."

give Iwata some credit. At least he didn't take the tech and charge the customers at a price that's much price than the usual Nintendo price.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

saicho said:
disolitude said:

give Iwata some credit. At least he didn't take the tech and charge the customers at a price that's much price than the usual Nintendo price.

I obviously don't know what happened behind closed doors at Nintendo with this emeting. Maybe Iwata did the right thing, maybe he didn't... I dont' know what kind of price they are talking about.

Now since Microsoft said that Natal is 50% hardware, 50% software, I think its foolish for Iwata to say that they passed on that technology. They passed on the hardware part, but who knows what kind of software they would use to get this tech up and running.

I doubt we'd see voice reckognition for one, if Nintendo used Natal.

I'm more interested in the uses of the technology as UI, and that Microsoft picked it up will be more interesting that if Nintendo did since it won't be only centered around gaming. Can't wait for this to come to my HTPC!

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"