By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Poll: Which team wins Super Bowl XLIV?

Poll: Which team wins Super Bowl XLIV?

Indianapolis Colts 29 40.28%

New Orleans Saints 43 59.72%

Total:72

Colts. A Saints win would be sentimental.

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Vetteman94 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
The Colts defense is good but not good enough to contain the Saints offense. Meanwhile, the Saints defense is good enough to at least partially contain Manning. You're going to see a lot of scoring but the Saints will be leading the board at the start, middle, and end.

And the Vikings will be in the same place next year as the Ravens and Jets are in this year--with a good defense paired with a crappy offense. Meanwhile the Packers will have well-rounded team capable of putting points on the board (unlike the Vikings).

I do believe the Jets had the best defense in the NFL,  and we all see how that game turned out

Colts scoring 30 points against the Saints wouldn't be entirely unexpected.

I would guarantee it. Manning is from NO if I'm not mistaken.

coming from an almost completely neutral standpoint (I like the giants and don't really care about anyone else) I am going to say colts will win unless Manning has a really bad day. Why do I say that? the following facts will explain:

1) The colts have Peyton Manning, the Saints don't. Yeah, Brees is good. DAMN good. Good enough to put him in the top 3 quarterbacks in the league (with Manning and Tom Brady). But he's not as good as Manning. Sorry to say it, but he's not, not yet anyway...

2) The Saints' pass defense is ranked 26th in the league. This is not a good thing for ANY team going into the Superbowl, let alone if you are playing Peyton Manning. If you want proof of how much trouble the Saints are going to have trying to defend the Colt's passing game, consider this. Except for a (typical) slow start on Sunday, Manning simply decimated the Jet's pass defense torching them for 377 yards and 3 TDs with no interceptions. And the Jet's pass defense is ranked #1 IN THE ENTIRE NFL. Now imagine what he can do when he plays the 26th ranked defense...

3) The Colts won't turn the ball over 5 times. They don't run the ball enough to give teams a decent shot at making someone cough one up and if you do manage to get them to do that they just go back to the passing game. And Manning doesn't throw very many interceptions. This year he only had 16. Now, granted, the Saints aren't going to do this either and Brees actually threw less INTs than Manning this year (11), but given that even with those five turnovers, the Saints had to take the game into overtime and kick a field goal to beat them doesn't bode well for their chances of winning without getting all those freebies. Heck, they STILL might have lost if the Vikings hadn't given them a free first down to keep them from going 3-and-out in OT...

4) The Colt's defense is better than the Saints defense and they have been playing very well for the last few games. Whether they will continue to do so remains to be seen, but this has been a major factor in how well they have done in the playoffs. As I keep mentioning the Saints abysmal pass defense, I should mention that the Colts defense at #14 isn't great either, but it is much more capable than the Saints no matter how you cut it. Since this game is most likely going to be a shootout, holding the opponent to that field goal will be extremely important. Despite their problems with Favre, the Vikings were marching right down the field into the endzone for much of that game (when they weren't dropping the ball on the ground).

5) Peyton Manning is not 40 years old. and he is completely unflappable. Seriously, I have never seen anyone rattle him. Ever. He has his occasional bad days yes, (he IS human the last I checked...) but there is no way you're going to see him tossing balls up for grabs over the middle of the field like Favre did for the last half of the game. And if he can/needs to run the ball, HE WILL.

I guess at the end of the day, despite all that has been said (and even what I said), my prediction lies on two inescapable facts: The Colts have Peyton Manning and the Saints have the NFL's 26th-ranked pass defense. No matter how you cut it, that combination right there is a disaster waiting to happen. You can talk all day about how the Colts are one-dimensional and blah blah blah. It doesn't mean sh*t. The Colts could have easily gone 16-0 if they wanted to with a 'one-dimensional' team. No matter what else happens or doesn't happen, unless Manning has a really, REALLY bad day, he'll be walking home with his second Lombardi trophy.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Retrasado said:
2) The Saints' pass defense is ranked 26th in the league. This is not a good thing for ANY team going into the Superbowl, let alone if you are playing Peyton Manning. If you want proof of how much trouble the Saints are going to have trying to defend the Colt's passing game, consider this. Except for a (typical) slow start on Sunday, Manning simply decimated the Jet's pass defense torching them for 377 yards and 3 TDs with no interceptions. And the Jet's pass defense is ranked #1 IN THE ENTIRE NFL. Now imagine what he can do when he plays the 26th ranked defense...

3) The Colts won't turn the ball over 5 times. They don't run the ball enough to give teams a decent shot at making someone cough one up and if you do manage to get them to do that they just go back to the passing game. And Manning doesn't throw very many interceptions. This year he only had 16. Now, granted, the Saints aren't going to do this either and Brees actually threw less INTs than Manning this year (11), but given that even with those five turnovers, the Saints had to take the game into overtime and kick a field goal to beat them doesn't bode well for their chances of winning without getting all those freebies. Heck, they STILL might have lost if the Vikings hadn't given them a free first down to keep them from going 3-and-out in OT...

Point 2 is well spoken of.

Favre only had 7, lol.

-He managed to throw 2 during the Saints game.

Sephiroth357 said:
Retrasado said:

Favre only had 7, lol.

heh. yeah, but he also had better protection, waaay better receivers, and way, way, way, WAAY better running backs than either Brees or especially Manning, so I didn't think that would be a fair comparison. You do have a very good point though

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Around the Network
Retrasado said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Retrasado said:

Favre only had 7, lol.

heh. yeah, but he also had better protection, waaay better receivers, and way, way, way, WAAY better running backs than either Brees or especially Manning, so I didn't think that would be a fair comparison. You do have a very good point though

Running backs? We only have a guy named A.P. Well, come to think of it, Peterson is really good. So...You got a point there.

I am cheering for the Saints.

The Colts will win.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Retrasado said:
Sephiroth357 said:
Retrasado said:

Favre only had 7, lol.

Come on now, the Saints and Colts receivers are better than that. Harvin, Rice, and Berrian is one hell of a tandem, but the Saints has quite a group of receivers themselves.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I don't care who wins. I'm not really a fan of either team. Cowboys baby!!!!!!! lol

oldschoolfool said:
I don't care who wins. I'm not really a fan of either team. Cowboys baby!!!!!!! lol

LOL You Cowboys fans make me laugh sometimes.....

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."