By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - AVATAR Highest Grossing movie EVER: PARTY THREAD!!

Im glad that Titanic came off from the top... one of the wrost movies ever created IMO :| But to bad that movies like pans Labyrinth will never manage 100 million+ gross at the box office

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Im glad that Titanic came off from the top... one of the wrost movies ever created IMO :| But to bad that movies like pans Labyrinth will never manage 100 million+ gross at the box office

Cult category movies never get much box office success since they don't appeal to the mass public. Pan's Labyrinth was one of the best movies ever made, but there are a lot of movies that fits into this category. 

Pretty much you can do a runthrough in every movie genre, comparing the biggest movies in each against the cult classics, and you'll find the same pattern over and over again

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

hunter_alien said:

Pans Labyrinth is amazing!!

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=98668

I didn't realize anyone in this thread had a financial stake in this movie and therefore had a reason to cheer its box office gross.

Avatar was a decent movie. Visually fantastic with a predictable story and characters. It also had an overbearing message that unnecessarily weighed down the movie with its heavy-handedness.

District 9 was a far better film in every respect other than visual effects.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
I didn't realize anyone in this thread had a financial stake in this movie and therefore had a reason to cheer its box office gross.

Avatar was a decent movie. Visually fantastic with a predictable story and characters. It also had an overbearing message that unnecessarily weighed down the movie with its heavy-handedness.

Maybe people are cheering for it because they like the movie? I mean, why cheer for anything unless you have a personal stake in it? Plus, beating Titanic can only be a good thing for cinema.

Also, was I the only one who didn't "get" District 9? Why was it so good? I just watched that movie with a blank face most of the time, waiting for the parts that were supposed to make it amazing as I heard.

rocketpig said:

You do realize this is a video game sales site, right? This is the primary place on the internet to gather and discuss bemoan and cheer the sales of videogames. This is the one place where cheering on a films financial success is not only acceptable, but the norm.

And yes, District 9 was the better film, but they were both great. And two great sci-fi action flicks in one year is a pretty damn lucky year for us.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

MontanaHatchet said:
rocketpig said:

Maybe people are cheering for it because they like the movie? I mean, why cheer for anything unless you have a personal stake in it? Plus, beating Titanic can only be a good thing for cinema.

Also, was I the only one who didn't "get" District 9? Why was it so good? I just watched that movie with a blank face most of the time, waiting for the parts that were supposed to make it amazing as I heard.

I can understand wishing for something to do well because you liked it (and therefore will see more work done by the creative team behind it) but I can't see the point in celebrating its passing of a pointless milestone.

I liked District 9 because of its fresh take on an alien "invasion", which basically turned to enslavement. It also had an interesting way to tackle bigotry. On top of that, the director did a good job of taking the main character and turning him into a sympathetic character after spending 45 minutes thinking he was a giant douchebag. The camerawork was also good, though that shaky camera style is becoming a little stale.

In short, it offered fresh ideas while Avatar had none.

rafichamp said:
Best technological advancement in movies of last decade (2000-2009).

I wouldn't even give it that award. That nod goes to The Two Towers, which built the technology for Gollum/Smeagol that Avatar used so heavily.

rocketpig said:
rafichamp said:
Best technological advancement in movies of last decade (2000-2009).

I wouldn't even give it that award. That nod goes to The Two Towers, which built the technology for Gollum/Smeagol that Avatar used so heavily.

It depends. Two Towers and Andy Serkis perfected the motion capture system that all CGI based movies use nowadays. Avatar perfected the 3D stereoscopic cameras that most 3D movies from now on will use. 

I agree that it is premature to give that award to Avatar, has we still have to see the full impact of this technology in future films. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"