By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Pachter says Mass Effect 2 is a strong darkhorse for GOTY. Do you agree?

Pachter says Mass Effect 2 is a strong darkhorse for GOTY. Do you agree?

I agree with Pachters comment. 108 55.67%

No, Pachters an idiot. 49 25.26%

I don't really know to tell you the truth. 15 7.73%

I like to look at sheep......bahhhhh 22 11.34%

Total:194
Torillian said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BladeOfGod said:
no, i believe GOW 3, Halo Reach or Last Guardian, Zelda Wii or SMG 2 will win GOTY

Come on man! seriously! LOL.....That is a good list but this is how it's going to go. Team Ico makes games that constantly go under the radar so Last Guardian is out of the picture. Zelda Wii might come out and might be good, but since when has a Wii game won GOTY? The same goes for SMG2. GOW 3 will be a GOTY contender but its only true shot at winning is best action title or best PS3 game.

Ironically the last time Wii won alot of general GotY awards was when SMG released.  Your whole basis for thinking ME2 has a shot is that the first was great and you know the second is getting reviewed high.  SMG2 is the sequel to the highest reviewed game of this generation, it has more than a shot. 

Personally I don't see ME2 winning it, because it's too early in the year and will be overshadowed by later releases.  That's why he says it is a darkhorse, because it is rare for a game to release so early in the year and be remembered enough to win GotY, that's exactly the reason he brought up Silence of the Lambs.

You're right.... I looked it up. SMG2 won GOTY 2007 so SMG2 will definitely now be a valid threat. I think ME2 is a contender for GOTY, I don't think it has a chance against a game like Halo Reach or probably even Bioshock 2. This is what i've been saying. I agree with your reasoning for why he calls it a "dark horse" as well. I will be voting this game in for 2010 GOTY, RPG of the year, best voice acting and best story though. Mass Effect has everything other games lack.

Around the Network

@STAGE
SMG won some GOTY awards in 2007, God Of War won GOTY 2005 (on almost every web site) and GOW 2 won best action game 207. Zelda Wii ( FIRST original Zelda title on Wii) will probably score 94+ on metacritic, and i think Team Ico have won some GOTY awards too.

sorry i meant "best action game 2007" not 207

From the looks of things Mass Effect is so far ahead of the curve that Pachter may just be right about this one. The trailers and live streans dont lie, voice acting, body movement and interactive conversations are miles beyond anything else in the industry. The same could be said about Mass Effect 1 but there were some limitations there plus the mediocre combat dropped it off anyone's radar but the fans of action RPGs. Combat looks great now and as all reviews agree it could very well be the best looking 360 game so far. The story is supposed to be slighly disappointing, but when you say that about a Bioware game then it still means the story is better then that of 99% of all other videogames. If critics get to decide who wins GOTY then Mass Effect 2 is a very strong contender. If gamers decide who gets it then not so much, Mass Effect is known as too much RPG by most gamers and only sold over 2 million copies.