By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nominees Announced for Spike's 2007 Videogame Awards

kn said:
dtewi said:
Halo 3 has breakthrough technology?

Have you played it? Yes, it actually does. The theater alone is very, very cool and takes "replay" to a level I had never really considered before. In my opinion it is one of the coolest "new" features to have hit any title this year.

I dear god hope you dont think that a video capture function is really new to gaming... 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
kn said:
dtewi said:
Halo 3 has breakthrough technology?

Have you played it? Yes, it actually does. The theater alone is very, very cool and takes "replay" to a level I had never really considered before. In my opinion it is one of the coolest "new" features to have hit any title this year.

Wait a second, did you just call demo recording breakthrough technology? This is as old (probably older) than Counter-Strike 1.4. In fact that's how you get ready for a team in competitve CS, you go download the other team's demos and play them on your computer (in game) from every angle possible.

Demo recording is as old as the hills.

As far as forge, it was done with Marathon.**

Mutators are from ye olden days of the first Unreal Tournament.

Pure fragging style FPS was perfected (and most say never duplicated) with Quake III (where the man cannon idea was stolen from by the way). It's pretty much Halo only much faster and requiring a much higher degree of skill.

When you get right down to it and really dig, Halo has done absolutely nothing new or revolutionary outside their marketing campaign and horrible online community (actually Counter Strike beats them in this category).

Now Gears of War, that was a revolutionary console shooter (not counting multiplayer). It played perfectly to the weakness of console controls and the pacing and map design was superb, the only thing that hurt was multiplayer variety.

**And Operation Flashpoint way back in August 2001 if you want to split hairs, only it did it to a degree that's never been matched except by Armed Assault.  

I thought replay was cool. When they had it in that Looney Tunes B-Ball game on SNES.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Who would take these dickheads opinions, what idiots.

I think this guys comment just about sums it all up;

I agree, flawed list on many fronts. Allow me to elaborate...

Best game fueled by Dew? Pucker them corporate sucking lips up, baby. Not to mention one of the nominees is from last year.

Game of the Year: Remember kids, if it ain't on 360, it ain't on this list.

Best Shooter: Second verse... oh well, if Warhawk doesn't make this list, it'll make action, right?

Best Action: Well, there goes that theory... but GOWII? Isn't this yet another year+ game?

Best Rhythm: GH should not be on the list twice. Especially not when Singstar and Boogie dropped this year. Boogie may not be the best game, but GH shouldn't be on the list twice.

Best Driving Game: I can forgive Motorstorm not being on but why does a game not even released yet get on? I mean, I'm all about Gran Turismo 5 winning this section. And the next Zelda should beat out anything else in the action category.

Best Military Game: Themed categories? Best game where a character wears an eye-patch... GO!

Breakthorugh Technology: Please, dear god don't tell me saving your replay is considered "breakthrough." I was doing this on N64.

Best Wii Game: How is Twilight Princess up for an award?

Best PC Game: If they can reach into the future elsewhere for nominations, why can't Unreal Tournament III come along?

Dodece said:
Super Mario 64 was a revolutionary title. I would rather not go into the specifics, but the game was not only genre defining, but genre generating. Until Nintendo did it nobody knew how it was supposed to be done. That game has a serious impact on gaming not just in its genre. So many of the mechanics have found their way into games in drastically different genres. Super Mario 64 changed gaming.

I find it shameful that any site would rank SMG higher then SM64. They really should know better then to do that. Given the impact of the originator, and the relative imitation of the latter. A unoriginal knock off should never triumph over the brilliant original. The only explanation for this is the ranking systems are pathetic if they are not highlighting the difference.

I highly recommend that anyone who has not played Halo 3, and given all the advanced features a real spin. Take the time to do so. There are a myriad of innovative features. Then you can't ignore the presentation and packaging of those innovations. Those features will be entertaining for years on end. Thats reason enough for Halo 3 to be on the list.

Lol, so you think US Nintendo fans are stupid and should see why Mario Galaxy isn't revolutionary and on a 'handicap' systsem, and that's why it shouldn't be on the list?!

THIS IS THE FU"NN""IËST THINNNN' EVER!

Halo 3... The most hyped crapgame ever... Halo 2 with HD graphics!... That it sells well to people like you doesn't garantuee it INOVATIVE! As you seem to claim! Tweakin of balance between guns aint INOVATIION!

Platformers a dying genre?! Lol... New super mario bros: above 10 mil sold. Mario sunshine: 5.5 mil sold.

Who are u tryin to kid?!

Eerhm... And last time i checked: Spheres with gravitation weren't in games... So i think one could call that REVOLUTIONARY!!!

So i think im gonna give u: THE MOST STUPID POSTER OF THE YEAR AWARD.

And btw: Mario Galaxy, deserves in EVERY way, to be the GoTY!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network

Was that post sarcastic Starcraft? I really couldn't tell. It seemed so stupid.

The bottom line is anyone who actually believes that SMG doesn't deserve to be at least nominated for GoTY shouldn't even be on an internet forum posting their opinions.

Wow these nominees suck.

Who knew in order to win game of the year the game had to be a shooter. Forget variety that just complicates things right? smh......

Dodece said:
Super Mario 64 was a revolutionary title. I would rather not go into the specifics, but the game was not only genre defining, but genre generating. Until Nintendo did it nobody knew how it was supposed to be done. That game has a serious impact on gaming not just in its genre. So many of the mechanics have found their way into games in drastically different genres. Super Mario 64 changed gaming.

I find it shameful that any site would rank SMG higher then SM64. They really should know better then to do that. Given the impact of the originator, and the relative imitation of the latter. A unoriginal knock off should never triumph over the brilliant original. The only explanation for this is the ranking systems are pathetic if they are not highlighting the difference.

I highly recommend that anyone who has not played Halo 3, and given all the advanced features a real spin. Take the time to do so. There are a myriad of innovative features. Then you can't ignore the presentation and packaging of those innovations. Those features will be entertaining for years on end. Thats reason enough for Halo 3 to be on the list.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you haven't even played SMG. And 10 minutes at Gamestop doesn't count.

If that is the case, the only thing shameful going on around here is your allowing your bias to overshadow your judgment. And further your willingness to supplant your own uneducated uninformed opinion about a game in place of opinions that are informed and are educated on the matter.

If you don't want to trust the reviewers about SMG that is one thing, but the absolutely overwhelming nonstop positive buzz about the game from gamers from all walks of life should have established for anyone actually paying attention that the game really is something special & at the bare minimum most people are finding it prudent to reserve judgment. The idea that you would hold this opinion that SMG simply cannot be better than SM64 without having played it and in spite of the reactions to the game by not just every reviewer but every one who has played it is truly a monument to selective ignorance..fanboy style~

The sad part is that now that you have publically made the statement I doubt you could let yourself enjoy the game because in the back of your mind is always going to be not wanting to be wrong. I truly hope you give yourself a chance to fully enjoy the game and I will admit that while you are generally fairly biased in your views (but then who isn't) you are one of the few people on this site I think is capable of looking past it. I hope you can, I would hate for anyone to miss out on a game with reviews like this over something so minor and petty.

@main topic,

It is spike TV, this should shock nobody.

To Each Man, Responsibility

@sqrl

Are you saying I am like the dozens of people in this thread who whined about Mario not being included even though they have yet to play the game themselves, or have played all the other games for that matter. Thats not my gripe however I have read the reviews for the game, and you know what I am reading. Not a single comment to the effect that the game is revolutionary.

Does that mean the game is bad hell no. Will I play it probably. Will I enjoy it probably. I generally love a good platformer. What I am talking about is the fact that one game changed gaming, and the other by its own reviews is not. Yet you want to say the imitation is greater then the master. Now if you do not understand how that is wrong then I really cannot help you.