By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Any place for intelligent discussion?

stof said:
If there were such a place, RVDondaPC, would you get invited? I was just looking at the "The Videogame industry is dying" thread, in which you admit you didn't read most of the article, and then go on to argue a point that the guy didn't make (he actually said the opposite).

Perhaps instead of looking for greener pastures, we should green up our own space a bit. It's something everyone can do.

You're right I didn't read the second half of the article. But the first half that I read was mirrored by the million other "the industry is doomed" articles so I just assumed the second half would follow suit instead of wasting another 10 minutes reading it. I admit I misspoke as it did not exactly mirror the point of view of others, however the article still is rather off on its analysis of the industry and I still hold that position. Also there is a difference in misspeaking about a subject because of a misinterpretation compared to the complete ignorance that people try to pass of as truth or just the complete retardation that people spam the forums with. 

The reason I said a VIP section as opposed to cleaning the current forums is because in order to clean these forums most people would have to be banned and I don't want the forums to lose the traffic. However having a separate section for serious discussion would be nice. 

Thanks for the NeoGAF link. I'm checking it out right now. So far it seems to be almost all related to playing video games rather than the business side of the industry but I'll have to check out more of it. 

Around the Network
RVDondaPC said:
stof said:
If there were such a place, RVDondaPC, would you get invited? I was just looking at the "The Videogame industry is dying" thread, in which you admit you didn't read most of the article, and then go on to argue a point that the guy didn't make (he actually said the opposite).

Perhaps instead of looking for greener pastures, we should green up our own space a bit. It's something everyone can do.

You're right I didn't read the second half of the article. But the first half that I read was mirrored by the million other "the industry is doomed" articles so I just assumed the second half would follow suit instead of wasting another 10 minutes reading it. I admit I misspoke as it did not exactly mirror the point of view of others, however the article still is rather off on its analysis of the industry and I still hold that position. Also there is a difference in misspeaking about a subject because of a misinterpretation compared to the complete ignorance that people try to pass of as truth or just the complete retardation that people spam the forums with. 

The reason I said a VIP section as opposed to cleaning the current forums is because in order to clean these forums most people would have to be banned and I don't want the forums to lose the traffic. However having a separate section for serious discussion would be nice. 

Thanks for the NeoGAF link. I'm checking it out right now. So far it seems to be almost all related to playing video games rather than the business side of the industry but I'll have to check out more of it. 

No fighting, this is supposed to be an intelligent thread.

I thought you meant on the internet in general. That would be no.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

kowenicki said:
Just make a thread around the topic you want and see what happens. you can always ignore anyone that annoys you.

There are plenty of good and detailed discussions that take place here.

I await your first thread with interest.

I've made many threads before, I don't particularly have a subject to discuss at the moment but hopefully soon I will post something. I did start a discussion about why the PS3 doesn't have many 5 million seller franchises of their own which led to a thread being made by Saicho based on my posts. However the majority of responses in that thread didn't even address the issue. Most posts were trying to defend Sony or attacking MS to make Sony look good rather than objectively addressing the reasons behind why most of their highly touted franchises are not as commercially successful.  And eve when someone did address the question the responses go about as deep in thought as toilet bowl. Granted there were a few responses that tried to actually put some thought into it but that was maybe 5 or 6 posts out of 100. That's an awful lot of crap to sift through in order to have a discussion. 

That thread exemplifies almost all threads in the forums here. Ask why Sony doesn't have many big franchises, instead of getting answers about theories of why the first responses will be "MS only has Halo!" and then the next response is they have "Gears," "Sony has MGS4," "MGS4 doesn't count!." "Gears doesn't count." And so on and so on, which has absolutely nothing to do with addressing the thread's question. Here is a link to the thread I am referring to and look how many posts it takes before anyone actually posts anything of relevance to the actual question of the OP. http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=98478&page=1

RVDondaPC said:

These forums seem to be infested with uneducated kids that flood every decent conversation, discussion, or debate about the industry with their pointless defensive fanboy drivel. However there seems to be a small lot of people scattered through out the forums that seemed to genuinely be interested in learning about the business side of the industry or already have some knowledge about it, but any discussion they try to have is usually quickly derailed. I was wondering if there are any other forums or an invite only VIP type section that can be created for people that want to really discuss business strategies or industry trends without turning it into a "defend my favorite console" free-for-all. Is this at all possible? 

I have to disagree, there are a lot of uneducated adults on this forum too. All the good posts with data and analysis seem to have dissappeared.

I would like a forum like that as well.