By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - SONY: Motion Device will become PS3's "DE FACTO" Controller - YAY or nay?!

Can one of the mods please change the title because it's misleading.

Around the Network

ZOMFG! Now, with the dildo, Sony pwns female gamers!!! Providing it has vibration, obviously.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

pterodactyl said:
supercat said:
At least Natal has hype going for it.

This.

Arc (or Gem, or whatever they want to call it) is just a cheap, desperate knockoff of Natal and the Wii. If Sony plans on making this their "de facto" controller, then I'm looking forward to watching the ensuing trainwreck.

Natal is just a cheap desperate knockoff of the Eye Toy/PS Eye. And the fact that both companies are going for motion controls this late in the generation is a cheap, desperate knockoff of the Wii. 

Get off your high horse

Soriku said:
Carl2291 said:
llewdebkram said:
It's funny listening to them promoting something you know wouldn't have existed without Nintendo and the Wii.

It's funny knowing that 3rd parties are already backing the PS3 Remote with blockbuster hardcore games

Such as?

Trying to switch the focus this late in the game doesn't work. Hasn't worked for any other peripherals that change things up radically from what the system was going for to begin with, nor revisions like the PSP Go that is also a switch in focus (download only vs. UMD discs).

BMaker11 said:
JerCotter7 said:
Well I along with probably 75%+ other PS3 owners will not buy an arc/gem/wand/pos. I hate motion controller. I play games to relax so if I wanna get "exercise" I'll go outside and play a sport.

Been saying that since Wii Sports/Fit came out. 

The funny thing is that many good Wii games use either no or minimal motion controls (which means you can relax just fine...like I do).

And I like those games. I like playing Brawl with the traditional controls. I'd hate it if I were forced to actually swing if I wanted to hit someone

dunno001 said:
gekkokamen said:
dunno001 said:
Sorry, but I don't think the wands will become a defacto, even if that's what Sony wants. In order for them to take off, they would need to bundle them with all systems, AND not include the DualShock3. Even if they include both, the thing that developers will see is that only 1 device, the DS3, is owned by almost (because of Sixaxis, but the main input is the same) 100% of system owners. Of course, dropping the DS3 from systems would be an incredibly bad move, as it would make no older games playable out of the box.

So, no, it's just not going to happen.

Right. But what if they do what I said in my previous post in this thread? Make a special PS3 SKU, call it the "PS3 Waggle" (or something else :P), and pack in the PS Eye, the wand and some kind of casual games collection for mass-appealing price tag. Market it just as Microsoft markets the Arcade sku or their upcoming Natal SKU, same thing.

Hmm... but I don't see them doing this. To get the "mass appealing" price, they need to match the Wii and 360 Arcade at $200. And with the EyeToy and wands costing more than the DS3, I don't see them raising their costs to drop another $100 in price.

True, although I don't see MS or N going down with their price anytime this year (I expect the Arcade SKU to disappear once Natal launches and probably a $50 discount for the Elite). So Sony instead of going the price-cut way, they could release a $250 bundle aimed at the casual market introducing a new PS3 (in my example, PS3 Waggle with 120GB) and also offer the core PS3 SKU (console and DS3 and 250GB) for $300. Microsoft said themselves they will be releasing a Natal bundle, I doubt such a bundle will be cheaper than the current Arcade SKU ($200), it's very likely it'll be $200 ($250 for Elite SKU). I don't see Nintendo cutting prices any further, they won't have to and they'd better focus on a stronger software lineup this year because the competition will be strong. Both "Natal" and "PSwaggle" will definitely sink their teeth into their casual market.

Around the Network

Oh man is it going to be interesting to see the backlash of the hardcore PS3 gamers if this turns out to be true... Fasten your seatbelts folks, Gonna be one hell of a next couple of years.

JerCotter7 said:
Well I along with probably 75%+ other PS3 owners will not buy an arc/gem/wand/pos. I hate motion controller. I play games to relax so if I wanna get "exercise" I'll go outside and play a sport.

Aiming with a motion control is not what I would call exercise. It is called a more intuitive experience.

I think I would prefer the controller, but I will not really know til it comes out so I can see how it really works.

Alterego-X said:

This will be interesting...

I don't care about Sony's games, I don't have a PS3, but for observing the Industry, it will be a lot more exciting path if it's true, wether it will be a huge success or failure.

I agree.

Sony should bundle PS3's with the Arc (or whatever it's called), a great motion based game... and a Blu-ray copy of The Titanic.

Carl2291 said:
llewdebkram said:
It's funny listening to them promoting something you know wouldn't have existed without Nintendo and the Wii.

It's funny knowing that 3rd parties are already backing the PS3 Remote with blockbuster hardcore games

So its a confirmed failure then? The Hardcore aren't really interested in the Sony arc, and if they are putting lots of focus in trying to get the hardcore, well, they wont see even a fraction of the Wii's success

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)