By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy - on track for "2nd Best Game Ever"

It just got another 10/10 from
http://www.gamesradar.com/us/wii/game/reviews/article.jsp?articleId=20071108143452325061&releaseId=2006050920347184001&sectionId=1000&pageId=20071108144018279091

EDIT: whoops.. sorry.. i probably should have had a look at the last post before posting
<double post>

Around the Network

Speaking of reviews, the scores for Zack & Wiki are pretty interesting to look at. It seems like the game is too fresh and fun for anyone to give it less than 80, but too different to what people are used to that nobody dares to give it more than 90 either.

Of course nobody is holding back with a classic like Mario, and almost half of the scores that it's got are full. Game reviews just ain't fair. =/

This would be a real hard accomplishment. I'm just hoping it'll stay in the top 10. And hoping those Orange Box games will dissappear haha.

I'd drop 2/3rds of orange box, and leave portal :P

This thread comes up for every big game that gets early top review, and every time we point out that the "not as good" reviews always come out weeks later and drag it down. There's just too many more review sources for all of them to agree on a high score these days, and reviewers are in general more critical on top of that.

OoT's score is based off of 22 reviews. Bioshock currently has 75 reviews. Statistically speaking top metacritic scores are a whole lot harder to get these days.

Around the Network

Given the number of reviews for the various games in the top ten one cannot even conclude statistically that one game is better than another. The "Rankings" really have very little value.

Debating with fanboys, its not
all that dissimilar to banging ones
head against a wall 

If it stays at 97/100, which it might since the evil GameSpot's already out of the way... then it's the top-rated game of the last 5 years. Nothing's stayed at 97 since Metroid Prime in 2002.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Sorry to burst the happy bubble but given the kind of scores we've seen of recent big titles at this time (Halo 3, Bioshock) it's safe to say the game won't end in the top 10 of all time. Nothing on it's quality. It will be an awesome game and I'm almost positive after the time I've spent with the demo it will be in my personal top 10 of all time, and most likely surpass Mario 64 as my favorite Mario game ever.

Still, early reviews are the strongest. Gamespot is hardly the only reviewer out there who can hurt it. There are dozens of tiny little sites who just love the opportunity to slam a harsh score on a big game to increase their site traffic and "make it big." My prediction for it's lifetime average is a 95% (+ or - .5%).

Actually, game companies send review sites early copies of their games. In return, review sites usually will post a review early if it is good. If it is bad, they will wait until the game comes out. I think its just out of courtesy for the makers.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

I honestly don't think there is much of a chance it will drop out of the top 10 at this point. I think the lowest score you could give the game and still have a legit claim to being impartial is probably an 85 and you would have to justify the hell out of it. Not many sites are going to go that route and even an 85 doesn't bring it below a 96 average.

The more reviews that come in the harder it is for rogue outfits to impact the score. And when you think about the way Mario has been impressing people I think a lot of people who might otherwise go into it thinking they should give it a low score to get traffic could actually be pursuaded, hell look at the guys over at destructoid. They were hardcore xbots and after their first hands on they came out giddy and smiling.

The game is hardly a shoe in for first place at this point, but I think it has a very solid chance to take 2nd and I also think you guys are putting a bit too much stock into the idea that people are constantly looking for a way to make a name for themselves. Look at the orange box, the 360 version has 37 reviews right now and it still at a 96 which is only a half point lower than the PC version at 28 reviews. I think that half-point is probably quite accurate since the general consensus is that the PC version has a slight edge. So where is the extra review bias there?

My point is that its hard to keep a good game down. And who knows maybe folks who were pissed about Halo 3 scores will get their jollies by smashing SMG, but how many of those sites are actually going to be recognized by Gamerankings as legit reviwers?

Anyways, I have gone on way too much on this issue, so I'll leave it here.

To Each Man, Responsibility