By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - As the market leader, do the wii get the respect it deserved?

In my opinion, you can't advance gaming technologically on the wii or ds. But socially, the wii and ds probably is the major contributors to the growth of main stream gaming.

Around the Network

I don't think corporations deserve more or less respect. They get what they deserve. If you overprice a system, blow off third parties, or have a near 100% failure rate - see what I did there - it will influence your reputation as a company.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

I will throw in that #1 sounds incredibly ridiculous, especially when nothing is innovative about the Xbox 360 or PS3 unless you count "bringing technology x or concept y that already exists to consoles".

#2 and #3 are legitimate because that is how misinformed people view the Wii.

ImJustBayuum said:

Although the Wii is the market leader, it doesnt seem to get the respect from the gaming community (industry) + media as opposed to the HD twins. The hd twins seems to be the mascot/face of gaming, and the wii is simply disregarded or ignored.

3 main reason IMO for this.

1) it lacks innovation in regards to alot of gaming aspects (graphics etc)

2) Third parties are just not selling, relative to its marketshare.

3) its has a more casual demograhic as oppose to the traditional " gaming" demograhic

Too true. Actually the Wii might be the leader of a parallel market of its own... As a matter of fact, the Wii is the FIRST "leader" (in terms of installed base, and current sales among other home consoles available) that DOES NOT have full third-party support, meaning the Wii doesn't have the major third-party franchises and the biggest sales for those franchises despite having what could be -wrongfully- appreciated as absolute market majority. It may be the highest selling videogame console since 2006, but the leader it is not. I'm not trying to belittle the Wii here, but it's perfectly clear to the naked eye. Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PSone, PS2, they were all leaders of their own generation, all of them had the top ranking third-party games on their lines. A company wanted to make a game? You can bet it would certainly be number one priority to produce it/port it to the chief console of the time.

I remember a couple years ago, Nintendo enthusiasts would say: "oh wait for next E3, you'll see the games, it's just that thrid-parties were caught off guard by the success and it's just now they've started development focused on the Wii" ....2010 is here, and that was just sweet dreaming. Nintendo is to blame for it, and it seems they don't really care. They have failed to present the exploits of the revolutionary motion-sensor interface they introduced to the masses. There may be a lot more to harness from the Wiimote, but Nintendo is the first one who has not inspired a true gaming revolution. They keep doing what they did in 2006, and people just keep buying for the same Wii Sports, Wii fit and a couple other Nintendo titles. Third parties never had a clue, and even those who went with the copy-cat strategy landed on their own asses.

For many people here who don't know this. The NES was treated the same. It didn't get great 3rd party support until the near ends of its life. Kinda've like the wii.

OT: I don't think all those points are the main reason its not respected. Those are just flaws that people try to point out all the time. I think its the fact that they were wrong. They thought this generation was going to be King Kong vs Godzilla. 2 huge monsters with nouthing but power killing each other. Than rodan comes in and beats them both. Kinda've hard to accept a underpowered monster killing 2 huge monsters

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network

How much respect does it deserve then? Is there some set measure?

@killeryoshis

The NES? are you too young or don't care to look?

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Megaman, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Commando, Double Dragon...those are ALL 1986 to 1987 games (DD is 88) and I could look for more. The NES debuted in USA at the end of 85, it was released in Japan end of 83...wth are you talking about???

gekkokamen said:
@killeryoshis

Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Megaman, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Commando, Double Dragon...those are ALL 1986 to 1987 games (DD is 88) and I could look for more. The NES debuted in USA at the end of 85, it was released in Japan end of 83...wth are you talking about???

heheh I got the comment from anthor thread. As you didn't notice all those games are from Japan. If anything you are proberly the young
one and I am too but that's not the point. The NES got great support from Japan. But games from the west wasn't so good.
In matter of fact they decided to put their big games on computers instead. The NES didn't get tons of Americain support.
Japan did because it was sucessful for a long time there. They called the NES outdated alot and predicted doom every
year up til around the early 90's. Like I said before Wii=NES reborn

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
gekkokamen said:
@killeryoshis

heheh I got the comment from anthor thread. As you didn't notice all those games are from Japan. If anything you are proberly the young
one and I am too but that's not the point. The NES got great support from Japan. But games from the west wasn't so good.
In matter of fact they decided to put their big games on computers instead. The NES didn't get tons of Americain support.
Japan did because it was sucessful for a long time there. They called the NES outdated alot and predicted doom every
year up til around the early 90's. Like I said before Wii=NES reborn

Yup, when you take into consideration the entire NES lifespan (it was released, earlier in Japan called the Famicon), NES didn't get really good 3rd party support until later in it's lifecycle.

Someone has a link to an article with a ton of similarities between the Wii and NES.  It is amazing how much we forget over the years, but NES got a lot of crap too before it became respected later (as much as a gaming console can be respected).

^the NES was a smashing success from the get-go, and it got the titles. For a system that lasted over 8 years (if taking Japan in 83 as starting point), it got plenty of support from its 2nd year from third parties. Yeah the big hitters were mostly japanese, but japanese games prevailed for like 3 generations, and even when there were notable exceptions (like Mortal Kombat) the majority of big games were mostly from japan.