By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Eidos - This holiday season crucial for future Wii third party support

Now that SSBB is out of the way (January release), third parties will do well on Wii. I mean, most gamers will surely buy SMG, but for most that won't be enough. If you buy 4-5 games this holiday season, 2-3 of them should (statistically) be 3rd party.

Around the Network

So Eidos yells DOOOOOOM even though the Wii is printing money compared to the PS3 and is comparable to the 360 right now (lower costs for lower profit.)

OK.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

i can see how it is important, but i don't think it is that big of a deal. If some big 3rd party games bomb that is bad, but if the Wii outsells the 360 this christmas I don't see how you can say that 3rd party support will drop. With that said I think the software sales will be very good this christmas and i think nintendo delayed brawl was a very good decision for 3rd parties.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

RolStoppable said:

It's always the Wii versus anything else it seems. Even though the Wii is moving enough software to be profitable for anyone putting a quality game on it, the whole platform is still in question in the eyes of some 3rd parties, in this case Eidos. It's really strange that we don't hear more complaints about Sony's console, considering that games for the PS3 are bombing left and right.

I could be wrong, but I think there are a lot of 3rd parties out there who are scared that Nintendo will dominate this generation and they would prefer it if they could continue to make the majority of their games for Microsoft's and Sony's systems. That way they wouldn't have to compete with the strongest first party in this industry for sales.

Then again, there are plenty of genres Nintendo doesn't make games for, so 3rd parties would have these segments of the market for them alone. That is, if they are willing to make quality games in these genres in the first place.

I don't think any developer enjoys going head to head against Nintendo.  That's a pretty intimidating prospect IMO.

RolStoppable said:

It's always the Wii versus anything else it seems. Even though the Wii is moving enough software to be profitable for anyone putting a quality game on it, the whole platform is still in question in the eyes of some 3rd parties, in this case Eidos. It's really strange that we don't hear more complaints about Sony's console, considering that games for the PS3 are bombing left and right.

I could be wrong, but I think there are a lot of 3rd parties out there who are scared that Nintendo will dominate this generation and they would prefer it if they could continue to make the majority of their games for Microsoft's and Sony's systems. That way they wouldn't have to compete with the strongest first party in this industry for sales.

Then again, there are plenty of genres Nintendo doesn't make games for, so 3rd parties would have these segments of the market for them alone. That is, if they are willing to make quality games in these genres in the first place.

I could be wrong but I suspect a lot of the problem is that the executives who thought the Wii would be a failure (and the PS3/XBox 360 would be a success) are to proud to admit that they may have made a mistake.

Around the Network

As long as the wii continues to outsell the other consoles, it has little to worry about this holiday season even if third party sales don't come close to 360. There isn't enough good titles out for the wii according to reviews that matter. The 360 sells more, but it has more A and AAA titles. 22 on the wii, and 128 on the 360 according to metacritic.

It's the PS3 that has to worry this Christmas. The PS3 has 49 good titles according to metacritic, so it should be selling over double the amount of software as the wii.

In summary... You have to first get support in order to loose it. The PS3 has had support and so it could loose it. The wii must first get it before it can loose it.

HappySqurriel said:
I'm going to be blunt ... If you want to see good sales on the Wii release a good game on the Wii. Third parties (for the most part) have ignored the Wii and therefore shouldn't get angry when the only company that is producing a steady stream of high quality Wii games is gaining all of the sales.

QFT.

Ubisoft learned this the hard way last year.  But they did have two games that did well.  And that was because they were of fairly decent to high quality.  EA's taking it on the chin right now, but I expect a stronger line up from them in 2008.

For all the rest who are giving us crap this year, especially you Midway with your Cruis'n crapfest, I hope your stocking is full of coal!  And if you decide not to make any more games for the Wii, I'll be fine with that.  Let your shovelware rot on the PS3 or 360 instead.

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer