By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who's still getting FInal Fantasy XIII on Xbox 360?

Why do people in this thread keep saying the PS3 version has uncompressed video? It has LESS compressed, but in no way is it UNCOMPRESSED. Even an hour of uncompressed 720p video would take up almost 200 gigs of space, that's 4 dual layer Blu-rays not even including the game! If it's using 1080p video it would need over 400 gigs of space.

OT - I have both a PS3 and Xbox but I'll be buying it on the 360 because I prefer the controller and I only use my PS3 for exclusives and Blu-ray.

Around the Network
daroamer said:
Why do people in this thread keep saying the PS3 version has uncompressed video? It has LESS compressed, but in no way is it UNCOMPRESSED. Even an hour of uncompressed 720p video would take up almost 200 gigs of space, that's 4 dual layer Blu-rays not even including the game! If it's using 1080p video it would need over 400 gigs of space.

OT - I have both a PS3 and Xbox but I'll be buying it on the 360 because I prefer the controller and I only use my PS3 for exclusives and Blu-ray.

I have an extremely hard time believing that.

no...never planned on getting for my 360, but to whoever does.....YOU SUCK!!!(jk) but really whoever gets it the 360:(or PS3) ENJOY!

yo_john117 said:
daroamer said:

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp?width=1280&height=720&fps=29.97&space=yuv422&depth=8

Most likely PS3, but I might wait a day or so to see if there is any major difference between the two

Around the Network
daroamer said:
yo_john117 said:
daroamer said:

http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp?width=1280&height=720&fps=29.97&space=yuv422&depth=8

Wow I had no idea they compressed video that much!!!  So that means even blu-ray discs are super compressed too!  Does the same go for audio?

yo_john117 said:
daroamer said:
yo_john117 said:
daroamer said:

Wow I had no idea they compressed video that much!!!  So that means even blu-ray discs are super compressed too!  Does the same go for audio?

Neither did I,after he mentioned it I googled and it led to some MS page explaining it using a chart while showing different types of codecs and stuff.Even then the required size was still huge.Pretty suprising stuff.

Natal and Sony's flashing Ice cream cone

yo_john117 said:
daroamer said:
yo_john117 said:
daroamer said:

Well, audio does not contain nearly as much information as video.  An hour of uncompressed 16 bit audio is about 660 megs (about what a CD holds) but you can compress that down to about 60 megs (mp3 quality) without most people hearing the difference.  An hour of 7 channel surround would be about 2.3 gigs so they can easily include uncompressed audio.

I'm just using an hour as an example, I have no idea how long the CG cutscenes are.

It's no surprising i will also buy the PS3 version, PS3 is the JRPG Kingdoms now..

loves2splooge said:
dahuman said:
loves2splooge said:
DragonLord said:

After the dreadful experience of having to disc swap Star Ocean 4 over 300 times (literally--because of item creation ingredients and traveling to get them), I will definitely be getting the ps3 version.

Plus, I don't have many Trophies so this will give me a chance to get some for my ps3.

The vast majority of multi-disc jrpgs don`t require disc swapping for backtracking. They put all the areas you can backtrack to on the last disc in Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Infinite Undiscovery, all the PS1 FFs (unless the last disc was the point of no return. I can`t remember now), DQ7 (and most other PS1 jrpgs if I remember correctly) etc. So in LO, FF8 and FF9 you only swapped a grand total of 3 times, Blue Dragon and FF7 two swaps, and in Infinite Undiscovery and DQ7 just one swap.

If Square-Enix puts all the areas you can backtrack to on Disc 3 as is the norm, you will only have to swap twice during your entire 50+ hour experience. Star Ocean 4 is the exception to the rule when it comes to multi-disc jrpgs. Tri-Ace were being lazy bastards with how they handled the multi-disc situation in SO4. When Lost Odyssey, a four disc jrpg with like freakin 6 language audio tracks (or however much it was) and loads of FMV never requires you to swap discs to backtrack, Tri-Ace doesn`t have a bloody excuse. Just 3 discs of content and only one language audio track.

Why is it that everyone makes a big deal about multi-discs when situations like Star Ocean 4 (poor handling of the multi-disc issue) are an exception to the rule?

I'm fucking lazy, I'd much prefer popping in the disc once or double click on a game on steam and up I go. I don't spent 9 hours out of the house(8 hours work, half hour lunch, half hour driving to and back) so I can come home and disc swap these days, I just pop in one blu ray or buy terabytes of HDD space, DVD is just not enough these days.

Dude it's just TWO swaps out of an entire 50+ hours. TWO. Haven't you played FF7 on PS1 before? It's like that. No biggie.

I played the PC version first, everything installed on the computer, 0 swaps, 100% completion at lvl 99 with All Material loads( and still got that huge PC box ^^b.) I also played a little of 7 on an emulator somewhere down the line, no swaps, just direct to another CD image and done, had to do the same thing with Chrono Cross where I had to make ISOs out of the CDs(and Tales of Eternia, and a lot of other games,) that's how much I don't like to do physical disc swapping during game play.