By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
totalwar23 said:
Kasz, how do you expect a talk show that's on for 5 nights a week to score on average 10 million viewers a night? Leno ain't Oprah and everyone, including NBC expected the ratings he got. They planned around it so that the show would be profitable.

And by what you're saying, you expect viewers to watch through the news and carry on to O'Brien's show? And that O'Brien isn't attracting viewers on his own? This is the blame Leno approach everyone seems to be taking. The fact remains that Leno is more popular than O'Brien and attracts a wider audience. NBC knows that which is why they don't want Leno on another network.

Leno wasn't attarcting viewers on his own.

Leno had help from great NBC dramas.  That's what Lead ins at 10:00 do.

That's why Leno was getting canned by the affiliates.  He was a downright shitty lead-in people are sick of Leno and used the shift as excuse to finally break from the show, due to no good lead ins and nobody aaring.

Also, O'brian attracts something Leno doesn't.  The 18-40 male demographic.  Conan actually wins that demographic.

I think your also forgetting the fact that the ratings for Leno's show SUCKED at first as well... Leno's first year numbers were way worse then Conans.

The whole thing IS Jay Leno's fault.  Everyone is blaming him for a reason.

Even the insiders.

The only people on Jay Leno's side are Jay Leno, the NBC execs, and then Jerry Seinfeld.  Who is Jay Leno's friend and also shopping a sitcom to NBC.

Around the Network

Can you link to where Leno was getting 6s for ratings with the Jay Leno Show? That isn't what I heard.

I agree, they are messing up bad. And it's unfair to judge Conan's rating this early in the show. When Leno started he was getting his ass kicked by Letterman, but eventually he found his groove and brought in an audience.

Also, despite how low Conan's ratings were, he always won the 28-49 demographic, which is the most valuable.

That said, I wouldn't mind if they found a solution to keep both on the air, same network or not.

jaggedsac - http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/11/04/how-did-nbc-do-at-10pm-weekdays-before-the-jay-leno-show/32641

Kasz-

Great Dramas? These are the shows that come on before TJLS:

Heroes
Biggest Loser
Law and Order: SVU
30 Rock
Dateline NBC

Their highest rated show is SVU and it's topping out at 10 million viewers
Heroes, 30 Rock have poor ratings - they be lucky if they can get 7.5 million viewers
biggest loser no is better than SVU at all and I won't continue for Dateline. What you're saying is that Jay Leno's ratings suck but is getting good ratings from all of the terrific lead ins? Here's the fact: NBC is picking Leno over O'Brien because THEY know that Leno would attract more viewers than O'Brien.

Also, Conan is not winning the 18-49 demographic. He is tying with Dave, which is why NBC is willing to do this. Thirdly, I know Jay Leno couldn't beat Dave when he was starting but Dave was an already established host. Jay was not. What's Conan excuse? He's been hosting Late Night for 17 years. Is everyone hoping that Conan will get another Hugh Grant? Lightning striking twice? I also like to see numbers before you start describing Jay's ratings as "sucked". Not to mention that if everyone is saying give Conan more time, then why isn't Leno given more time?

Also, again - It was Conan O'Brien who didn't wait for Jay to willfully retire and forced him out. It's also O'Brien who refused to compromise by moving the show back half an hour.

Here's a paragraph from the New York times-

And yet, after waiting all these years for “The Tonight Show” to be his, O’Brien was surprised when Zucker told him in December that Leno would be back on the network at 10 p.m. “My first reaction was to calculate my self-interest,” O’Brien said a month later, over dinner at a restaurant near his apartment on the Upper West Side. “It took me about 45 minutes of, ‘Really?’ I think, realistically, that Jay will be doing the same show he’s doing now. I knew that there was this thing that was starting to brew that poor Jay was being pushed out by Conan. Jay was clearly becoming unhappy, and it had the makings of a situation that would make me unhappy. I like Jay. I don’t want to be an unpleasant chapter in his life. Or he in mine.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24Conan-t.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1

lol, I hope letterman and jay both go away for ever.

But I mostly just dislike letterman, because he's a stupid unfunny hypocritical douche.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network

On the question "Why don’t people watch good TV?" the answer is that people do watch good TV, but the overhead and costs associated with TV on major networks means that they need amazingly high ratings to stay afloat. Channels like AMC and Showtime have such low costs that they can be profitable with slightly more viewer-ship than a local TV station, and they can focus on developing low-budget high quality TV shows (Dexter, Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and if they find an audience they can adjust the budget to ensure that everyone working on the show is happy.

Conan did not force Jay out. He said he wanted to be on earlier no matter where he was working. NBC did not want to let him go so they made a deal. None of this would have happened if NBC would have just let him go. Which is exactly where they are now. I do not blame Jay for anything. I don't like his show, but this isn't his fault. He was merely someone steam rolled by the inept management of NBC. Mainly, Zucker. NBC is doing so terrible now that the other networks actually have sympathy for them.

And do you have any more recent ratings. The ones in that link are skewed from the premier week.

Letterman and Ferguson are funnier anyway so I really don't care. Leno should have retired simple as that. And Jimmy Fallon is plain terrible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

totalwar23 said:

jaggedsac - http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/11/04/how-did-nbc-do-at-10pm-weekdays-before-the-jay-leno-show/32641

Kasz-

Great Dramas? These are the shows that come on before TJLS:

Heroes
Biggest Loser
Law and Order: SVU
30 Rock
Dateline NBC

Their highest rated show is SVU and it's topping out at 10 million viewers
Heroes, 30 Rock have poor ratings - they be lucky if they can get 7.5 million viewers
biggest loser no is better than SVU at all and I won't continue for Dateline. What you're saying is that Jay Leno's ratings suck but is getting good ratings from all of the terrific lead ins? Here's the fact: NBC is picking Leno over O'Brien because THEY know that Leno would attract more viewers than O'Brien.

Also, Conan is not winning the 18-49 demographic. He is tying with Dave, which is why NBC is willing to do this. Thirdly, I know Jay Leno couldn't beat Dave when he was starting but Dave was an already established host. Jay was not. What's Conan excuse? He's been hosting Late Night for 17 years. Is everyone hoping that Conan will get another Hugh Grant? Lightning striking twice? I also like to see numbers before you start describing Jay's ratings as "sucked". Not to mention that if everyone is saying give Conan more time, then why isn't Leno given more time?

Also, again - It was Conan O'Brien who didn't wait for Jay to willfully retire and forced him out. It's also O'Brien who refused to compromise by moving the show back half an hour.

Here's a paragraph from the New York times-

And yet, after waiting all these years for “The Tonight Show” to be his, O’Brien was surprised when Zucker told him in December that Leno would be back on the network at 10 p.m. “My first reaction was to calculate my self-interest,” O’Brien said a month later, over dinner at a restaurant near his apartment on the Upper West Side. “It took me about 45 minutes of, ‘Really?’ I think, realistically, that Jay will be doing the same show he’s doing now. I knew that there was this thing that was starting to brew that poor Jay was being pushed out by Conan. Jay was clearly becoming unhappy, and it had the makings of a situation that would make me unhappy. I like Jay. I don’t want to be an unpleasant chapter in his life. Or he in mine.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24Conan-t.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1

The shows that led in to the tonight show is the shows i'm talking about.

I mean... don't you understand why the affiliates want Jay Leno out?  It's because his ratings were lower the old 10 o'clock shows... The Jay Leno show sucks and wasn't a good lead in to the News.

Leno is drawing well below those shows.

JaggedSac said:
Conan did not force Jay out. He said he wanted to be on earlier no matter where he was working. NBC did not want to let him go so they made a deal. None of this would have happened if NBC would have just let him go. Which is exactly where they are now. I do not blame Jay for anything. I don't like his show, but this isn't his fault. He was merely someone steam rolled by the inept management of NBC. Mainly, Zucker. NBC is doing so terrible now that the other networks actually have sympathy for them.

And do you have any more recent ratings. The ones in that link are skewed from the premier week.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/01/jay-leno-show-ratings-drop-despite-cancellation-talk.html

People won't even come out to hear Leno talk about the mismanagement... WHEN EVERYONE ELSE IS RUNNING A RERUN.

vs say Conan who's ratings have gone up since the controversy.