By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - The Gaming PC Building/Upgrade Thread

Garcian Smith said:

You really should consider upgrading your entire PC if you can spare the cash. Even the "hobo box" in the OP will blow a P4 2.6 GHz box out of the water. For reference, you're probably sporting an old "Northwood" P4 with only 512 KB L2 cache, an ancient Socket 478 mobo with no PCI-E slots (so you'll have to upgrade into an equally outdated and overpriced AGP card, probably from the secondary market) and MAYBE a max of 4 GB slow DDR2 667 RAM if you're lucky and got a high-end-for-the-time mobo. Also, with that setup you're probably still running Win XP, which you shouldn't be if you're at all serious about PC gaming.

You'll have trouble running on minimum settings even if you upgrade to the best AGP card, Socket 478 CPU, and RAM that you can find.

Hey! good guess! it is a Northwood P4 with 512KB L2 cache, Socket 478 mPGA, and no PCI-E slots (i checked, i just remembered i have cpu-z installed plus, the cpu is 2.8Ghz, was thinking of the shit of a pc my brother-in-law has lol). ram's just 1GB and just DDR HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I like XP, better than vista i'm even thinking of going linux just to make my head hurt, plus i hate MS! only  reason i'm  running xp is i don't have the slightest idea on how to run linux. I'd go Mac but the damn shit is stupidly expensive.

Lastly, the only pc games i'm currently really interested in are starcraf2 and diablo3. though i have been considering in getting an xbox360 but looking at their exclusive list, i can play most of them on a decent pc. hence why i'm looking at building a bit better gaming pc (well, bettern than this piece of trash i'm typing on )

Around the Network

I might as well contribute something here:

Nvidia overclocking.

For those of you with Nvidia video cards, there's a great app out there called RivaTuner. I highly recommend downloading it if you want to get even a little more out of your video card.

For the sake of providing an example, here's my video card, at stock frequencies, in RivaTuner.

My 8800gs is clocked like that from the factory. Have you ever seen those "overclocked" cards being sold for a little more than the regular card? They are usually just the best cards they produce clocked higher than regular cards like mine. Most nvidia cards can be overclocked quite easily. Do a quick google search to see what sort of results people are getting from whatever particular card you have or are thinking of buying. Below is the result I run very stably. As in - no crashing, graphics glitches or other problems.

Which is very good considering my card was $50 AR in late 2008, and still runs most new games on high settings when o/cd.

Just for reference, again using my card as an example..

The 8800GS TOP - The premium version of my card 

"The core comes in clocked at 600MHz which gives us a 1700MHz shader clock. 900MHz memory clock."

My 8800 GS 384mb - The regular version

"The core comes in clocked at 550Mhz which gives us a 1375Mz shader clock. 800MHz memory clock"

While the TOP performs slightly better than my card, as you can see as a premium product there is extremely little difference performance wise between the two cards once the regular version is pushed in RivaTuner. Of course both are outdated now, but this was just for example's sake. For that reason, it would be my suggestion to avoid pre-overclocked cards when shopping for a video card and instead look at what sort of results people are getting from overclocking regular versions of that particular card if you are interested in overclocking.

Overclocking notes (thanks Soleron): Manual overclocking voids the warranty and increases the power consumption of the GPU. So if people want to do that they should bear that in mind. My Note: Your GPU will run hotter than one that isn't overclocked so pay attention to temps when running an overclocked card.

If anyone notices factual errors or things that need to be added, please let me know.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

@ameratsu

I'll just add that manual overclocking voids the warranty and increases the power consumption of the GPU. So if people want to do that they should bear that in mind.

ameratsu said:

I might as well contribute something here:

Nvidia overclocking.

Alternatively if you're using an 8 Series or higher card you can just use the nVidia control panel, which is accessed by right-clicking on the desktop and clicking "nVidia Control Panel".

Once it comes up, click the toolbar button "View" then select advanced, then select "Performance - Device Settings". If you have a motherboard with an nVidia chipset in it you can also OC your CPU, RAM and PCI-e slot.

Soleron said:
@ameratsu

I'll just add that manual overclocking voids the warranty and increases the power consumption of the GPU. So if people want to do that they should bear that in mind.

As far as I have experienced, soft-modding done with software tools like these tend to be ok, however hard-modding, over-voltaging and board firmware flashes do invalidate warranties. Ive pushed my card well above stable several times while testing it and it's still working fine, it's very hard to kill a board nowadays.

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64

Thanks Soleron, added a note.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

Around the Network

Thanks for the tips on overclocking! Is there a similar utility that works with ATI cards, by chance?

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Wraith, i turned on advanced and I don't see that option in my Nvidia control panel. I'm guessing my card is too old.

I have a 9800gt and I don't see anything special in the control panel either.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Garcian Smith said:
Thanks for the tips on overclocking! Is there a similar utility that works with ATI cards, by chance?

ATiTool IIRC.

Regarding nVidia Control Panel:

I forgot you need to install nVidias system tools....woops lol. The following article is for the GT240 but the instruictions for overclcoking/using the control panel are the same for any 8-Series or higher.

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=653&pgno=1

"Everything I tell you is a lie. Every question I ask you is a trick. You will find no truth in me."

WraithPriests PC:                
QX6850@3.6GHZ

4GB OCZ Reaper X PC8000
GTX470 (774/1548/3900)    
nForce 780i MoBo
1.25TB HDD (1x1TB, 1x250GB)
A+ El Diablo 2 Case
Vista x64
Soleron said:
WilliamWatts said:
Soleron said:

He wanted an Nvidia card and I gave him information about the one he should be looking at given his budget, type of CPU and motherboard for his given applications. I've read that same article before (twice) and I agree its probably pretty close to the mark factually but may be spun a little too negatively. It'll be expensive, but so are 2x GTX 265s... So it was the best card to suggest out of a poor range with limited $ vs performance all around.

OK, I agree with that.

and thank you =)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO