By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamespot Review: 9.5

RolStoppable said:

Some games simply don't need (much of) a story. It would be stupid to force some sort of story into a game, just for the lack of having a story.

Do racing games need a story? Apparently they do, according to Konami's Pocket Racers on the PSP:

An evil magician comes to your house one evening and turns you and all your party-going friends into a bunch of miniature cars. To combat this wicked wizard's nefarious deeds, you'll have to race through the various areas of your house. Only by crossing the finish line first will you win back the souls of your transformed pals.

wow, that story sounds sooooo cool. Scary yet total fantasy and magic - is there also a she-car? must buy game.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

About stories in games. If the story sucks and they beat you over the head with it, that's annoying. If they story sucks but it takes up little to no screen time, no problem. (assuming the actual game is fun to play)

Like Tony Hawk American Wasteland, which had plenty of terrible cut scenes that kept shoe horning me into stupid challenges. It was annoying as hell and just kept pulling me away from actually trying to skate. In skate. there’s almost no story to speak of, which is good. I can just freaking skate, it’s a damn sports game, I don’t want a story.

This is one the reason’s I didn’t like Super Mario Sunshine. Tried too hard to have a story with crummy plot twists and bad cutscenes. In Super Mario 64, they give you the whole story when you start. Bowser took over the castle and has the princess, get cracking. All the motivation I need to play a Mario game.

Faxanadu said:
Really? Better than WarioWare??? OMG!!!

Bah, you beat me by a country mile, but I won't let that stop me!

Warioware dethroned!!!

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

RolStoppable said:
BrainBoxLtd said:

About stories in games. If the story sucks and they beat you over the head with it, that's annoying. If they story sucks but it takes up little to no screen time, no problem. (assuming the actual game is fun to play)

Like Tony Hawk American Wasteland, which had plenty of terrible cut scenes that kept shoe horning me into stupid challenges. It was annoying as hell and just kept pulling me away from actually trying to skate. In skate. there’s almost no story to speak of, which is good. I can just freaking skate, it’s a damn sports game, I don’t want a story.

This is one the reason’s I didn’t like Super Mario Sunshine. Tried too hard to have a story with crummy plot twists and bad cutscenes. In Super Mario 64, they give you the whole story when you start. Bowser took over the castle and has the princess, get cracking. All the motivation I need to play a Mario game.

I don't know how long you played it, but Sunshine starts with several long cutscenes, which is sort of annoying. After those there is another one in which Bowser Jr. tells you why he kidnapped Peach, accessible after you earned 10 shine sprites. Until the end of the game there isn't any other cutscene.

So basically Sunshine gives you a lot of story in the first 10 % of the game, but after that your play time won't be interrupted anymore by cutscenes. I agree though, that it wouldn't have needed so long cutscenes.

I got 120 shines, that is I why I said ONE of the reasons I didn't like Sunshine. (I have a lot =P) They subject you to that crap just to go back to default story anyways. Admittedly the game seems to realize it’s story is pointless an abandons not long in. But the whole ending with Bowser talking to Bowser Jr. just seemed weird, creepy, out of place, and unneeded. Still fairly minor complaint of why I personally didn’t like Sunshine though to be honest. I was just trying to give an example of where a Mario platformer game’s story can detract when you spend more than the first few minutes with it. 

My feeling about stories as well.

Good story? Alright, keep mixing it into the game.

Bad story? Put it in the manual, maybe some text at the end credits.

Example: Final Fantasy X-2. I really want to play the game, but OMG the story keeps punching me!

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

Around the Network

yeah i cant believe even gamespot gave this game such a high score,totally awesome game

Agree with Rol, NSMB had all the story it needed.
Sunshine had annoying story at it's start and still the game didn't even need one, even less when it wasn't driven through the gameplay.
I think MGS is a good example how you can spoil a perfectly good game with having (too much) story.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.