By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sega thinks Nintendo should help with mature content on Wii.

Snesboy said:
nordlead said:
morenoingrato said:
what mature games from nintendo?
they've never done 1

Nintendo has published a handful, and owns the rights to Eternal Darkness' Sanity Effect (I'm not sure if they actually own the entire IP or not though). Sort of like Next Level Games developing Punch-Out!! it is still a Nintendo game.

I'm pretty sure Silicon Knights owns the game.

Nope, Nintendo owns the IP 100%.  In fact, late in GC's lifecycle there were rumors about Darkworks developing ED2 for Nintendo.

Around the Network
mike_intellivision said:
Is Sega making the same request of Sony and Microsoft since it has not sold 1M with any mature game (on a single platform this generation). (Its only non-Wii million-seller was the Sega Superstar Tennis Xbox 360 pack-in).

Mike from Morgantown

I'm guessing they don't need to as Sony and MS are probably already helping in some way. Sony often sends people out to companies to act as consultants and MS loves to throw around money and is already very good at offering software suppot for 3rd parties. But yeah, even with help the sales of M games are lacklustre.

Scoobes said:
mike_intellivision said:
Is Sega making the same request of Sony and Microsoft since it has not sold 1M with any mature game (on a single platform this generation). (Its only non-Wii million-seller was the Sega Superstar Tennis Xbox 360 pack-in).

Mike from Morgantown

I'm guessing they don't need to as Sony and MS are probably already helping in some way. Sony often sends people out to companies to act as consultants and MS loves to throw around money and is already very good at offering software suppot for 3rd parties. But yeah, even with help the sales of M games are lacklustre.

Nintendo and Microsoft both also loan out R&D and support staff for big 3rd party games.  That's not at all unique to Sony.

jarrod said:
Scoobes said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Nintendo and Microsoft both also loan out R&D and support staff for big 3rd party games.  That's not at all unique to Sony.

I think my point is being missed.

It is that Sega sales are not that outstanding this generation for any M-rated game (on a single platform) -- so why is it only calling out Nintendo.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Chairman-Mao said:
griffinA said:
Chairman-Mao said:
Scoobes said:

It might not be there job but as platform holders they do have some responsibility when it comes to content on there system. If were desperate for 3rd party core material than they would do what Sony or MS do and negotiate and consult with 3rd parties to bring core games to there system.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Since Nintendo is easily outselling PS3 and 360 on a regular basis there is no need for them to make deals with third party publishers to get more games; but you would think Nintendo owes it to its consumers to get all the best games on their system. I know Nintendo is doing all they can to make great games but they still need to do something about this lack of good third party support.

Whatever Nintendo does is never enough for these industry types. With the N64 and Gamecube they were told that their userbase was too small to develop exclusive games for them. Now that the Wii userbase is huge, developers either say the system is too "weak" or that they can't understand the Wii market. Even during the SNES and NES eras western devs tried as hard as they could to not develop for Nintendo systems.

As for the "power" excuse, when Nintendo tried to develop tech-heavy systems that didn't get them anywhere.

Yeah that's true; I don't know why devs are so against the Wii. I understand not wanting to make a "gimped" version of your game which is in SD, but this gen there is no excuse not to make a game for the Wii. It has the biggest userbase and it must be cheaper to develop for.

I've thought about this myself, and I can't believe that the entire industry is bias against Nintendo. If I remember rightly Gamecube did receive some 3rd-party support (more than N64 I think), it was just that MS with there software background found it easy to get PC devs onto their console and Sony had ridiculous marketshare.

Combined with this comment from Sega and the annoyance at Sony at the beggining of the gen (partly to do with dev support, and difficult hardware) the only thing I can think of is that MS and Sony offer a lot more support to developers than Nintendo. I think the question we have to ask is how often do Nintendo send out consultants or help out with development of 3rd party games and how does it compare to the other platform holders? If the answer is "not-a-lot" then that must be why we don't see more core games on Wii. If not, then 3rd-parties must really be idiots (which I don't think is true).

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Scoobes said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

Yes, but I think it was more important for Sony this gen due to the complicated hardware architecture. Plus Sony devs boast about being sent out as consultants more, lol.

mike_intellivision said:
jarrod said:
Scoobes said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

I think my point is being missed.

It is that Sega sales are not that outstanding this generation for any M-rated game (on a single platform) -- so why is it only calling out Nintendo.

Mike from Morgantown

Oh sure, and I did a comparison before.  Basically, Sega's M-rated Wii games have on average outsold their M-rated 360 or PS3 games by nearly 3 to 1.

^ I remember that. So yeah, most of Sega's M-rated games have sold crap. But I'm pretty sure Sega will continue to bring out M-rated games on Wii for a while anyway.

Scoobes said:
^ I remember that. So yeah, most of Sega's M-rated games have sold crap. But I'm pretty sure Sega will continue to bring out M-rated games on Wii for a while anyway.

I agree.  Hope we at least get Virtua Cop 3 and HOTD4 (for $29 each).