By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - With NPDs decision, more traffic... and that means a few more needed things

More trolls, more idiots, more multiple accounts, more traffic and so on.  Here are a few things I think need to be done (since the analysis stuff has come so far)

Implement email verification for new users (and existing!).  That will elimiate a lot of the crap that goes on.

The search feature needs to be "enhanced".  I have a hard time finding anything... search by keywords with "and/or" functionality as well as search a specific board, search by user name, date range, etc.  That will cut down on duplicate threads.

Disable the search function for people that aren't registered users.

Limit the amount of "analysis" that can be done if they aren't registered.

Put in a "multiple posts in X seconds" -- i.e. no more than 1 per minute to avoid spamming

Give mods (if they don't already have it) the ability to both ban a user AND delete a post and/or complete thread rather than just editing it.

Give users ability to edit their own thread AND the title of their own post.

Feel free to add more, but with traffic most certainly on the rise, these things will help keep the site orderly. 

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
kn said:

More trolls, more idiots, more multiple accounts, more traffic and so on. Here are a few things I think need to be done (since the analysis stuff has come so far)

Implement email verification for new users (and existing!).  That will elimiate a lot of the crap that goes on. Maybe yes, as long as we just get the one email.

The search feature needs to be "enhanced".  I have a hard time finding anything... search by keywords with "and/or" functionality as well as search a specific board, search by user name, date range, etc.  That will cut down on duplicate threads.  yep.

Disable the search function for people that aren't registered users. Why?

Limit the amount of "analysis" that can be done if they aren't registered. seems a bit restricting but maybe.

Put in a "multiple posts in X seconds" -- i.e. no more than 1 per minute to avoid spamming if that would stop double posts then yes.....as long as it isn't more than one minute, lots of people can type fast.

Give mods (if they don't already have it) the ability to both ban a user AND delete a post and/or complete thread rather than just editing it. yep

Give users ability to edit their own thread AND the title of their own post. definately, very definately, and incredibly definately.

Feel free to add more, but with traffic most certainly on the rise, these things will help keep the site orderly. 

An "ignore user" feature would be nice. :)

TWRoO said:
kn said:

More trolls, more idiots, more multiple accounts, more traffic and so on. Here are a few things I think need to be done (since the analysis stuff has come so far)

Implement email verification for new users (and existing!). That will elimiate a lot of the crap that goes on. Maybe yes, as long as we just get the one email.

The search feature needs to be "enhanced". I have a hard time finding anything... search by keywords with "and/or" functionality as well as search a specific board, search by user name, date range, etc. That will cut down on duplicate threads. yep.

Disable the search function for people that aren't registered users. Why?

Limit the amount of "analysis" that can be done if they aren't registered. seems a bit restricting but maybe.

Put in a "multiple posts in X seconds" -- i.e. no more than 1 per minute to avoid spamming if that would stop double posts then yes.....as long as it isn't more than one minute, lots of people can type fast.

Give mods (if they don't already have it) the ability to both ban a user AND delete a post and/or complete thread rather than just editing it. yep

Give users ability to edit their own thread AND the title of their own post. definately, very definately, and incredibly definately.

TWRoO, server strain is why. The number of guest far out number the logged in users. Disabling the ability of guests to search and limiting their ability to use the analyze functions will reduce the strain on the server. With the NPD pulling back the server is going take a beating if the guests make heavy use of those two features. Especially since the number of registered users is likely to baloon over the next couple of months. 

A lot of these suggestions, while sound, can probably wait until we actually get that large a traffic?

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

@ requiem, well yes, but the new server can take a lot more (supposed 5000 users) so that wouldn't matter once ioi stops these 'attacks' that are currently making the site yoyo betwen fast and dead....why anyone would want to attack a video game sales tracking site i don't know (unless it is some kind of automatic thing)

I agree with your requests.

I wonder if I am the only one though having a lot of connection issues ever since the move. Every time I come to this site now it is very slow, and many times doesn't even work. I can't be traffic related as the traffic count is the same or lower than what it was prior to the move. In fact it is moving similar to how it did on really big traffic days of 2000+ users.

Am I the only one seeing this issue? Is it firefox? At this rate if it had 2000 users like when Wii passed 360 and we got big numbers due to digg readers, it would be useless. This is the same for me at home and work.

I think the focus should be on stability. The site has been published on N4G a lot lately and everytime new numbers come out or an article hits N4G I don't even both visiting until late at night because the site won't be available until then.

I agree, stability should be on the top of the list.

Superchunk..I have definitely noticed the slowdown. I have my fingers crossed.

Personally I don't want a mod to have the ability to make a thread disappear. I've noticed a mod or two (maybe just one) lock his own thread just because it wasn't going in his favor. That's already an abuse and I think that all we as users have to go by as far as mod credibility is the ability to see exactly why it was they banned someone or what prompted a thread closure. The key to fairness on this site is openness and consistency.

I think priority one is to get the site in its current state to be functioning smoothly. The last thing we need is a bunch of people chewing up this site on other forums because it doesn't load up or always freezes. Then we can work on new features to make it a more pleasant experience for posters.