By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - With NPDs decision, more traffic... and that means a few more needed things

Yes, I agree, stability does need to come first. At times the website completely times out, times it is pretty quick, and times it is fairly responsive. The only thing I can figure is that VG Chartz is getting DOS (denial of service) attacks from that knucklehead that figured out how to bypass (albeit temporarily) the ban feature.

DOS applications are out there and pretty easy to find. It could be him or any other person banned in the near or far past.

It could be technical issues with MySQL I suspect as well.

Regardless of the reasons, VGC needs to be able to handle the load when an outside website -- such as tech.co.uk -- references VGC sales data. For a few hours following that article, you know traffic is going to spike in a big way. If they come here and get a timeout, it discredits the site in a rather alarming way...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network
takkxyz said:
A lot of these suggestions, while sound, can probably wait until we actually get that large a traffic?

Haven't you noticed this site already has server problems?

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

I think an "ignore user" function would be a very bad idea. The fanboyish nature of video game discussion (especially) on the internet would result in us very quickly having three different groups of users who can't see each other.