By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Official I was wrong about SMG in Japan thread

I'll admit it. It thought SMG would do much better in Japan the first week. I make no excuses and I place no blame. I thought it would sell better and it didn't.

I'm not angry or upset. I'm somewhat humbled that I don't understand the Japanese market as much as I would like.

I urge other Nintendo fans not to make excuses when sales aren't very good. Just admit things didn't go as you expected and move on. 

Around the Network

Well said, we are all wrong though, no need for a whole thread about it... But you do speak the truth. If you're wrong about something, don't defend it or grasp at straws, just be wrong. It's happened to the best of us. I thought that the PS3 was the best buy last year, obviously I'm incorrect, and actually, I am for the 360 now so...

dont beat yourself up. It's a very unusual occurence. I was off too. I predicited 300 - 350k by sunday and 600k by tommorow (11/7). It's not gonna happen.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

but but...it was raining!

@senseinobaka: What was so unusual? That game sold less than half million?

Around the Network

Oops wrong thread.

I think FishyJoe is just putting this out there to show that Nintendo fans are willing to eat our crow.

I was wrong too! I didn't think it was going to sell out all 700K, but 250,000 is still 35-50% less than I figured, and I also figured the console sales would go back to 60K per week.

kamil said:
@senseinobaka: What was so unusual? That game sold less than half million?

It's unusual because big games generally have huge openings. I'm not saying it's terrible, just not what was predicited. The reatailers themselves prepared for 700k, and they arent ususally that far off.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

I definitely thought it would sell better as well. At least I can have confidence that it will sell well for a long time. I don't think that'll change.

Smash Bros: 2363-5325-6342 

yeah I was wrong too! I thought first week sales would be around 450-550k.
well what can you do? the japanese market has changed a lot, thats a fact.