By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Project Natal drops hardware Motion detection to save costs!

libellule said:
JaggedSac said:
^^LOL. Looks like Natal games where motion detection is the main control method, are going to look like Wii games :) I would rather that not be the case, but Wii fans don't seem to mind.

cheap price = more sales = better market penetration = higher overall success probability

Natal and Sony Wand are both VERY difficult move to do

It may have been a very difficult move to do back in the Wii launch day...

Nowadays they are just following what Nintendo did so successfully. And this chip drop, if saves costs and mantains the performance,the consumers are the ones gainning with that.

cheaper Natal is on the way. Who's sad?

P.S - And I'll take the "hallowed 100ms lag" with a grain of salt, we saw much more than that in the E3 demo... but it was a demo, so...

Around the Network

^^Yeah, and that was 1.5 years away from release as well. They are still hiring Natal firmware employees so Natal development is still not complete.

Bamboleo said:
libellule said:
JaggedSac said:
^^LOL. Looks like Natal games where motion detection is the main control method, are going to look like Wii games :) I would rather that not be the case, but Wii fans don't seem to mind.

cheap price = more sales = better market penetration = higher overall success probability

Natal and Sony Wand are both VERY difficult move to do

It may have been a very difficult move to do back in the Wii launch day...

Nowadays they are just following what Nintendo did so successfully. And this chip drop, if saves costs and mantains the performance,the consumers are the ones gainning with that.

cheaper Natal is on the way. Who's sad?

P.S - And I'll take the "hallowed 100ms lag" with a grain of salt, we saw much more than that in the E3 demo... but it was a demo, so...

it is not about sad or not

it is just that people will not buy something they already have

attacking iphone on iphone ground is dangerous withOUT a disturbing weapon

same go for the wii

Time to Work !

@ libellule

I don't get it. They drop a chip from Natal and it turns into a regular camera?

Do we actually know how much processing power Natal will use? Or are we all just prematurely ejaculating? (note to the readers and mods, here I use ejaculating in the old english sense, where it is synonymous with exclaiming)

Not that processing power even really matters to the PS360, if Natal uses up much RAM, then it is a bigger deal.

This is probably a good decision tbh, with bringing in such a high tech system at this stage, they need to cost cut as much as they can in order to sell as many as they can. If the hardware is expensive, no-one will buy it thus no-one will make games for it

Around the Network

If it's true, I'm no longer interested.

scottie said:
Do we actually know how much processing power Natal will use? Or are we all just prematurely ejaculating? (note to the readers and mods, here I use ejaculating in the old english sense, where it is synonymous with exclaiming)

Not that processing power even really matters to the PS360, if Natal uses up much RAM, then it is a bigger deal.

This is probably a good decision tbh, with bringing in such a high tech system at this stage, they need to cost cut as much as they can in order to sell as many as they can. If the hardware is expensive, no-one will buy it thus no-one will make games for it

Yeah, I agree.  Hardware chip would have been ideal, but if it brings down costs and gets a bigger userbase, it is a win win for anyone looking to use the technology.

And to the person who asked if this decrease's Natal's capabilities.  No it does not.  It just decreases the performance of the 360 when it is used.

jlauro said:

100ms lag? That's only 6FPS!

That better be worse case not typical.  No air guitar at that rate of input.

You are mistaking lag for FPS.  NATAL provides 30 FPS, each with 100 ms of lag.  For comparison, controller lag in Kill Zone has been reported to be 166 ms.  100 ms seems to be in the ballbark of wireless controllers so not much to complain about.

Bamboleo said:
@ libellule

actually i believe it turns into TWO regular cameras

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Bamboleo said:
@ libellule

huh, no, i dont think

it is a very specific camera with motion recognition of your body/deepth etc ...

but, at first, there was some piece of hardware inside to make it run.

now, it seems the hardware will be the 360 itslef meaning a part (5% ? 1% ? 0.001% ?) of 360 processing will be used to make Natal "run"

that is what I get

Time to Work !