By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Project Natal drops hardware Motion detection to save costs!

cgenerated said:
ramses01 said:

This may lend some credence to the new SKUs having increased memory.  Of course that doesn't help existing boxes.

The SDKs got the increased memory, not the devices available to the public.

I am talking about the Valhalla SKUs that will probably be released along side NATAL.

Around the Network

So, does this mean it's comparable to current motion sensing, like Eyetoy and the Ubicam that's out with MyShape? Or does it still have this massive increases in features over those systems?

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

Umm, I thought one of the reasons for doing the processing on hardware was that USB didn't have enough bandwidth to transfer the sensors' images to the 360?

Maybe they're adding some compression as well?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Raze said:
So, does this mean it's comparable to current motion sensing, like Eyetoy and the Ubicam that's out with MyShape? Or does it still have this massive increases in features over those systems?

Natal will have the exact same functionality as before, the only difference is that the 360 CPU will be doing what the Natal chip was before.  So Natal still uses IR to determine depth and location of people, which was the advantage it had over Eyetoy and Ubicam.

@Raze

It is superior to PS eye in that is uses two (or is it three) cameras to track motion and depth.

The main strength of natal was that all (or most) of the image processing would be done on a chip(s) built into the camera and therefore not using the x360 core processors.

What it also means is that Sony can simply release a new PS eye with multiple cameras and with the experience they have with the current eye tweak the software to to do the same thing.

In many ways it was the chip on the camera that give natal it's strength.

Around the Network

lol @ this being blown out of proportion

this should still be lable as firmly under rumor

jlauro said:

100ms lag? That's only 10 FPS!

That better be worse case not typical.  No air guitar at that rate of input.

ROFL

Seriously tho someone call this guy a cab

Maybe, just maybe, they're doing this because they'll add some type of controller to it, a wheel, gun, whatever, and that may already raises costs and retail price!

I'm saying this because I still can't believe that playing only with your body (no funny thoughts here, please!) is going to work all that well!. I need an instrument in my hands (DEFINETALY no funny thoughts here!!!!)

Pretty much what I expected. When they first announced Natal, they said it would be a complete package including 2 cameras, mics, and a chip to process all the information. I thought "bullshit, no way you are going to do all that for a reasonable, marketable price."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/microsoft-drops-internal-natal-chip_1

"The load previously handled by the chip now falls on one of the main three Xenon processors, but while taking a "percentage" of performance away from the system, most games don't use up 100 per cent of the available processing power anyway."

This leads me to believe that as much as a whole processor could be tied up doing all the processing for Natal. Let's face it, it's going to be very CPU intensive, much more intensive than anything the PS Eye/Gem and Wiimote are doing.