By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Project Natal drops hardware Motion detection to save costs!

Project Natal, the camera thing for the Xbox 360 that tracks you every movement and lets you ‘interact’ with ‘things’ (hi, Mylo) has ‘dropped a chip’ according to GI this afternoon. The chip, responsible for managing Natal’s ‘bone system’ will be replaced by a software solution to save costs whilst still hopefully maintaining that hallowed 100ms lag. The responsibility for doing whatever the ‘bone system’ chip actually did now falls on one of the 360’s Xenon processors, taking up valuable clock cycles and other technical stuff.

Richard Leadbetter, editor of Digital Foundry said that “the full Natal hardware/sensor combo always looked like an expensive proposition in a market where Microsoft really needs to turn a profit. The notion of offloading the processing to the 360 CPU in the name of lower costs and easier upgradability makes sense. Patching up older games to run with the new hardware now looks rather unlikely unless they have the CPU time to spare.” Sounds like the move has cut costs but limited the scope of the system a little.

Source: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/01/07/natal-drops-a-chip/

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Around the Network

This is an interesting development, and one that I do not like at all.

Looks Mylo will be needing lots of help in doing his maths homework...

^^LOL. Looks like Natal games where motion detection is the main control method, are going to look like Wii games :) I would rather that not be the case, but Wii fans don't seem to mind.

WOW, if it true, this is an important point

If I m not complete crap, MILO was more about "voice recognition + voice interpretation + IA integration" and those things were perform by some device included in the camera to not depend on the 360 hardware itself (you can see it in a Peter Molyneux IT in a french gaming website just after E3 2009)

In clear, MILO was able ear your voice, recognize it as "your voice", understand what you were saying, react to it AND learn about your tonality and the type of language you use to improve his interpretation of your language input over the time.
In a way, it is really about IA software more than "body recognition". And of course, you need some power to make this software run, a power supposed to be in Natal camera itself

Perhaps, they will launch an upgraded 360 then ? a new sku a bit more powerfull to help the camera ? but then it will not save the cost .... so I m guessing they will rely on the 360 hardware and limit others things in exchange ...

cheap Natal = more sales, it makes sense.

Time to Work !

Around the Network
JaggedSac said:
^^LOL. Looks like Natal games where motion detection is the main control method, are going to look like Wii games :) I would rather that not be the case, but Wii fans don't seem to mind.

cheap price = more sales = better market penetration = higher overall success probability

Natal and Sony Wand are both VERY difficult move to do

Time to Work !

what is the bone system? are you sure its hadware motion detection?

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

If the games look like Wii Sports, then I don't see what the trouble is.

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

100ms lag? That's only 10 FPS!

That better be worse case not typical.  No air guitar at that rate of input.

Severance said:
what is the bone system? are you sure its hadware motion detection?

The bone system is what the software generates from the Natal camera output.  It consists of 48 points.  This was how developers were going to use Natal.  Most will still use it, but they can now use Natal output however they feel like.