By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Should we let guests post (limited), to increase traffic?

I think it's a good idea, most of the trolls simply make a new account when they get banned so I doubt we'll see a huge increase in trolling.

edit: VG Chartz has always struck me as an odd site since the number of guest users online always seems to be much greater than the number of members. Encouraging these guest to interact with the community more or at least visit longer would be useful.

Around the Network

Let's not and say we never had this conversation! You want to make this site into the next Gamespot or IGN? You sell outs! ;)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

I don't think it's that hard to sign up to post comments. I think the news and editorial section could stand out more. Make the headlines larger, remove the avatars, and place a single date for news articles released on the day.

shams said:

One idea I had recently:

Maybe we should let guests post comments? Maybe only in the news/chart threads? Mods can still remove comments that are inappropriate. Might need one of those security / anti-bot "enter this word" pages to validate the content, before it appears? (i.e. appears after each post is entered, and before it appears - one attempt and the post is lost?)

(they definitely should not be able to post in the forum...)

I think this will not only attract more people to this site, but increase the "average time" they spend on the site. This in turn could boost the number of concurrent users online past 1500 or higher.

If it turns into a right royal mess, maybe have a dedicated section of the site where anyone can post anything? Or course illegal/anti-social comments can still be nuked.

Thoughts?

I don't think it would be a good idea for two reasons. The first one is that it will likely be used by disruptors and banned users to try to spread hatred and such.

The second reason (and I'm not flaming.. This is by far my favorite gaming-related site!) is that the site runs pretty slowly at times and is almost inaccessable. During the evening hours, I've noticed that I can't even view it. Wouldn't increased traffic slow it down even more?

No that wouldn't be a great idea at all! Banned people like Hus, GballZack and others can easily post as well as guests and I see at other websites how guests can be very offensive to others without having an identity.

So not a good idea, don't do it, if you want to post, just register, we know then who you are and if you are being offensive, you can be banned easier.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Around the Network

Wow so anyways I bought a new computer cause my old one was fried. It's an Acer q6600 intel core2 quad. It improved the speed but this site still loaded way too slow. Often it failed to load at all. Then I installed Firefox and wham! VGChartz works for me again. Has anyone else had this experience with Internet Explorer. Seeing as the majority of people use IE, maybe you should guys could get the site to run smoother on IE. Easier than getting people to switch to Firefox anyways. Also wanted to add I deleted the free 3 month trial membership to Norton that I got with it and I am trying out Avast, a free antivirus program. Norton was slowing my computer major.

PS3 RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Anonymous) 10:01 pm

YOU RA ALL GAY Go HOME F*CK YOURSELF (Anonymous) 10:02 pm

We happily announce to you the draw of the Euro - Afro Asian Sweepstake
Lottery International programs held on the 1st of May 2004 in Dakar
Senegal.Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 564 75600545 188 with Serial number 5388/02 drew the lucky numbers: 31-6-26-13-35-7
Contact Person:Mr Peter Moyo
Foundmoney Int.
Email:pmoyo@lycos.co.uk (Anonymous) 10:03 pm

PS3 RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Anonymous) 10:04 pm

The data is fake, the Admin is a fanboy! (Anonymous) 10:05 pm

stclam you need to fix that sig

stclam said:
PS3 RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Anonymous) 10:01 pm

YOU RA ALL GAY Go HOME F*CK YOURSELF (Anonymous) 10:02 pm

We happily announce to you the draw of the Euro - Afro Asian Sweepstake
Lottery International programs held on the 1st of May 2004 in Dakar
Senegal.Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 564 75600545 188 with Serial number 5388/02 drew the lucky numbers: 31-6-26-13-35-7
Contact Person:Mr Peter Moyo
Foundmoney Int.
Email:pmoyo@lycos.co.uk (Anonymous) 10:03 pm

PS3 RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ (Anonymous) 10:04 pm

The data is fake, the Admin is a fanboy! (Anonymous) 10:05 pm

Was that to show what would happen if we did this or what you have found on another site?

Games i'm currently playing:

ioi said:
Personally I feel that it is easy enough to sign up (one form and an email confirmation) that I'm not sure how popular it would be? Is an interesting idea though.

On the subject of bots and firewalls - everytime the site goes down it is because we are getting attacked. It is happening a lot at the moment but I am putting measures in place to stop it. We already have a firewall but people are obviously getting through. It doesn't help that the server is not set up properly yet as well but this will all be sorted out soon and things will be very very fast.

Thanks

ioi

I think that the outages are your biggest impediment to increased traffic.  It turns people off to see multiple minute page loads and page failures.  You fix that and site traffic will increase drastically.