By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Should we let guests post (limited), to increase traffic?

Just so you guys know, mods CAN delete comments out of the news section. So if you are worried about trolling don't. We would delete any blatant insults and trolling.

Around the Network

It's not that hard to make an account. Anybody who wants to comment more than once can take the time to do it. This tiny little hurdle keeps the lazy riff-raff out.

Maybe you mods are getting bored without enough trolls to bust, but I enjoy this tidy little community. :)

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

We will have a lot of comments like ' VG SUCKS' Neo gaf rules bla bla..

But it is okay for me, you guys have to delete it not me.

thetonestarr said:
I didn't read through this entire thread, but I think allowing guests to post would be a great idea. Just make sure they can only post replies, and not start new topics.

HOWEVER

I believe they should have to be approved first. As in, a moderator or administrator would have to log into the control panel (or however it is on these boards), and read through the posts to deem them acceptable.

That would be a heck of a lot of work, I know. That's where my next concept comes into play.

We'd probably have to appoint a few new moderators to help handle the extra load. I believe we'd get a pretty heavy mess of guest posts and it'd be too much of a workload for the current staff. I'd say, before enabling guest posts, we'd want to go with two new moderators to start with. Then, if it turns out we need more help, ioi can easily just appoint another moderator or two. Or three, however many it takes.

Sure, that means we'd have quite the staff here. However, think about it. Many people don't want to bother to register just to say something that happens to be on their mind. But, they still want to say something. Well, they see they've gotta register, and they decide, "Eh, it's no big deal. I don't need to say it." Then they never say it, they leave the site, and they never come back.

However, let's take it down Road B. This time around, that person comes in and wants to say something. They see that they can say it without bothering to register. So, they say it. Then, a day or two later, they get curious about what others may have said about their post. They come back, and they see that there were a few replies to what they said - including one reply that refuted the point they'd made. So, they decide to post again. This time, they decide maybe they actually SHOULD register, since they're coming back and all and getting involved in a fairly detailed discussion. Oh, and they click on a few ads and ioi gets paid big bucks for it too.

*cough.*

Point is, yes, it'll be a hassle. However, we can filter out all of the troll/spam posts by making all guest posts approval-only. And the extra hassle of doing that will be worth it because it ends up generating a greater degree of activity and traffic, which causes the site to grow even larger and more popular. Boiled down, there are a lot of things to be wary of when enabling guest posting, but done the right way, it can be a great blessing.

Maybe instead of having full on moderators, just have a few extra people who are created to help sift through these extra posts? I think there'd be fewer claims about moderator abuse and bias if the only extra power these people had was to help get through these comments. That way you could appoint more of them and there would be less of a potential uproar over who was appointed. Sometimes I swear this is like a political forum and not a videogame forum with how passionate people can be towards their choice of circuits and plastic.

Very much not in favor, we'd just have Hus/Gball/everyone who's ever been banned constantly trolling the news section. IMO the news comments need to be made more like the regular forum threads, not less like them.

Around the Network

Not a good idea. If we really wanted to increase hits, there are 2 far better ways:

1. Make the site more accessible to Spanish speakers.

2. Make the site work more than half the time.

Of course, both of those are unrealistic expectations.

takeru51 said:
thetonestarr said:
I didn't read through this entire thread, but I think allowing guests to post would be a great idea. Just make sure they can only post replies, and not start new topics.

HOWEVER

I believe they should have to be approved first. As in, a moderator or administrator would have to log into the control panel (or however it is on these boards), and read through the posts to deem them acceptable.

That would be a heck of a lot of work, I know. That's where my next concept comes into play.

We'd probably have to appoint a few new moderators to help handle the extra load. I believe we'd get a pretty heavy mess of guest posts and it'd be too much of a workload for the current staff. I'd say, before enabling guest posts, we'd want to go with two new moderators to start with. Then, if it turns out we need more help, ioi can easily just appoint another moderator or two. Or three, however many it takes.

Sure, that means we'd have quite the staff here. However, think about it. Many people don't want to bother to register just to say something that happens to be on their mind. But, they still want to say something. Well, they see they've gotta register, and they decide, "Eh, it's no big deal. I don't need to say it." Then they never say it, they leave the site, and they never come back.

However, let's take it down Road B. This time around, that person comes in and wants to say something. They see that they can say it without bothering to register. So, they say it. Then, a day or two later, they get curious about what others may have said about their post. They come back, and they see that there were a few replies to what they said - including one reply that refuted the point they'd made. So, they decide to post again. This time, they decide maybe they actually SHOULD register, since they're coming back and all and getting involved in a fairly detailed discussion. Oh, and they click on a few ads and ioi gets paid big bucks for it too.

*cough.*

Point is, yes, it'll be a hassle. However, we can filter out all of the troll/spam posts by making all guest posts approval-only. And the extra hassle of doing that will be worth it because it ends up generating a greater degree of activity and traffic, which causes the site to grow even larger and more popular. Boiled down, there are a lot of things to be wary of when enabling guest posting, but done the right way, it can be a great blessing.

Maybe instead of having full on moderators, just have a few extra people who are created to help sift through these extra posts? I think there'd be fewer claims about moderator abuse and bias if the only extra power these people had was to help get through these comments. That way you could appoint more of them and there would be less of a potential uproar over who was appointed. Sometimes I swear this is like a political forum and not a videogame forum with how passionate people can be towards their choice of circuits and plastic.

I like your style, sir. If ioi has the option of doing that (some forums don't), then he certainly should.

Really, so far, what everybody's had to say about why they dislike the idea of allowing guests to post... it all would be fixed by implementing this concept. There are no negatives. 

SW-5120-1900-6153

NO

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

If you want to get a LOT more users on the site, you basically *have* to put up with more trolling/flaming/fanboyism. That *is* the public (anyone visit the IGN forums recently?).

However - with mods constantly deleting posts, people will get sick of their flaming game soon enough. It might take a month or two to settle down, but I think it eventually would.

It would increase traffic massively though - maybe 10x as much. Whether this is the sort of place we want VGChartz to become - I don't know. It might suit ioi's short term goal of getting a lot more users on the site - but it could ruin the site as well.

(as long as the main forum threads are protected - I personally wouldn't be too fussed - freedom always comes at a price :P).

Sorry to hear about the site being attacked - doesn't really surprise me though :P
Hope the protection/site keeps improving over the coming months, can't wait until its rock-solid...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

But shams, the difference is that you can punish members who get out of hand. You can't punish guests; you can't even tell who they are.