By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Visceral Games (Dante's Inferno) could learn from Vigil games (Darksiders)

As some of you may know, I despise Dante's Inferno for ripping-off God of War. (made a rant about it)

Read the highlighted part. Thats what Dante's Inferno should have. I was looking forward to the game until I played the demo and realized it was a watered down, rip-off with next to no originality.

In a recent interview with Eurogamer, Joe Madureira from Vigil games (Darksiders devs) said this :

Q : Lots has been made of how Darksiders borrows ideas, particularly from God of War and Zelda - and to good effect. But how much influence did those games actually have?

A : I think it's impossible not to be influenced by something that you've enjoyed, or that's made an impact on you or the genre. It's funny, because most of the time we would fire up God of War it would be to make sure we WEREN'T doing something that was too close. Trying to make sure that we were differentiating ourselves enough. If anything we took pains to move away from these games.

Full interview : http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/darksiders-joe-madureira-live-q-and-a

Btw, Darksiders looks like a brilliant game and its getting rave reviews.(there is no hype for it though) PS3 version is at 87 in Metacritic and 360 version is at 86 in Metacritic. However 360 version is supposed to have more tearing than the PS3 version (very rarely a multiplat is better on PS3, not 100% sure if this is true or not, based on another forum post)

Around the Network

Visceral games doesn't need to learn from anyone anymore. They need to come up with their own original ideas.

disolitude said:
Visceral games doesn't need to learn from anyone anymore. They need to come up with their own original ideas.

Yes, Darksiders is inspired by GoW+Zelda though it has some originality.

DI is inspired by GoW with next to know originality.

See ? 

MetalGearSolid_4ever said:
disolitude said:

Yes, Darksiders is inspired by GoW+Zelda though it has some originality.

DI is inspired by GoW with next to know originality.

See ? 

Dead Space was a rip off too...but it had some originality in exectution.

These guys seem to be making games based on commitie decisions. Copy what sells the most and yields most profits for each genre...etc.

Isn't Darksiders a open world RPG, whereas Dante's Inferno is a linear hack n' slash?

Around the Network

Dunno if the screen tearing part is true, but the reason why the 360 version has a lower score is because of the Official Xbox Magazine UK review.

dsister44 said:
Isn't Darksiders a open world RPG, whereas Dante's Inferno is a linear hack n' slash?

It's actually Action Adventure with a few elements from Sandbox and RPG games.

Looks really interesting though. I plan to give it a try. 

4 ≈ One

dsister44 said:

I'm talking about borrowing from certain AAA games but having your own originality. DI borrows from GoW with next to no originality.

And Darksiders has puzzle elements + hack 'n slash ... not 100% sure about it being open world.

The main character in Dante's Inferno is so lame.

But war... war never changes