By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who is completely sick of first person shooters?

Isn't this the 3rd of these threads in as many months? Sounds like you're not alone.

Around the Network

I was many years ago, along with most other games that are repackaged, renamed or are just set in a different location.
I've said for a long time people are just playing the same game over and over again.

It's a bit like X-factor, every year the same kind of act with the same kind of song release a single and album of covers and for some reason people lap the shit up as if it's something different, exciting and new.

and so the circle comes around again. FPS really are devoid of meaningful gameplay, lets bring back 2D where there's nowhere for lazy devlopers to hide with their gameplay!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Nope not alone the last FPS I played was borderlands I could care less about CODMW2. I,m burned out on them. There all starting to blur together to me now. I,m taking a break.

lol I guess this thread does get made a lot (I made one the exact same maybe 2 weeks ago.)

But I know what you mean, I was playing FFVIII (nice breath of fresh air compare to genres I've been playing this gen) then on Christmas I got Killzone 2. Other then the graphics it was just another shooter, I sped through it as fast as I could so I could get back to FFVIII.

Killzone 2 is going to be my LAST shooter this gen (I'll try to make it my last).

BRING ON THE JRPGS!!!

Around the Network

Same here.There are way too many fps that don't really bring anything new to the genre.

At least 2010 seems to have a lot of my favorite genre coming.God Of War III,Darksiders,Dante's Inferno,Bayonetta and the rumored Devil May Cry 5.

About the only type of game I never get bored with are racing games anymore. I had my FPS burnout around 2004 after too much Counter-Strike: Source. To be honest that burnout doesn't really go away, at least it hasn't for me. The lone exception for shooters has been the original Gears of War.

Other genres I can pick up and play later, but shooters need some massive innovation and reinvention before I find myself all over one again.

Well I only buy on average: 1 f them a year so I'm not sick of them yet. However, I'd have to agree that it's pretty annoying that most blockbuster games (atleast on the HD consoles) fall into that genre. I don't blame the devs though. After MW2 sales, I expect a lot more FPS games to be in development. Gamers vote with their wallets and they've voted a collective "YES" for more FPS games.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

I haven't gotten tired of them. I do only buy maybe one a year, so that might be the reason.

360 Games Now Playing   360 Games unopened:  Resonance of Fate  Last 360 Game I Beat: Resident Evil 5

DS Games Now Playing: Dragon Quest VI  DS Games unopened Knights in the Nightmare, Etrian Odyssey III, Okamiden, Dragon Quest IX Last DS Game I beat: Radiant Historia

Wii Games Now Playing  Super Mario Galaxy 2, Arc Rise Fantasia  Wii  Games unopened  Little King's Story, Sonic Colors, Silent Hill Shattered Memories Last Wii Game I beat: Sin & Punishment 2

Yeah CODMW2 was pretty boring i recently sold my copy, because its so life draining and too many campers w/ heartbeat monitors. Currently playing uncharted 2, its pretty fun for now.

I Hate the fact that all these pillows are contaminated by retard!!