By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Seems like I'm the only person who doesn't think SMB3 is GOD

rocketpig said:
NintendoTogepi said:
rocketpig said:
If you think SMB3 is too hard, let me introduce you to a few wrist-slitting games called TMNT, Battletoads, Kid Icarus, and Contra. There were many games harder than SMB3 on NES, by comparison its difficulty level is rather moderate.

Kids now have it too easy.

What? Actually having fun while playing games because they don't make your brain explode, cause your thumbs to fall off, and don't cause mortal harm to your TV, is too easy?

No, it was just a poke at NES games during a time when most developers had two options for difficulty levels:

1. Coma-inducing easy

2. Wrist-slitting hard

If you wanted to play most games, you learned to adapt to one of those modes of difficulty.

What was worse, was if you were like me and rented most of your games, because they never would give you the manual.  Usually no in-game tutorials so half the time is spent just figuring out what the heck was going on.

Also, I had to walk uphill both ways to the rental store in the pouring rain 

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

Around the Network

Seems like I'm the only person who doesn't think SMB3 is GOD

Yep, you pretty much are. 

Entroper said:

2) Wuss. :P OK, to be honest, if you didn't grow up in the 1980s or earlier, yes, SMB3 is going to rape you. But it's not too hard by any stretch of the imagination, and most importantly, it's "challenging-hard" as opposed to "stupid-hard." There are no impossible situations or automatic-hit situations, there are just challenging situations.

Actually, it is pretty much stupid hard. The game puts you in spots that requires inhuman reflexes.

3) You replay the levels by starting a new game. Seriously, what kind of complaint is this? There's no reason to go back to an old level because the levels aren't like they were in SM64. There are no multiple challenges, your challenge is just to reach the end of the level. It's a perfectly valid complaint. I enjoy replaying levels in SMW and NSMB all of the time. There were some levels I really liked in SMB3 but I didn't want to have to replay the whole get back to them to play them once.

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Miyamoto...

SMB3 made your fingers fall off? What in the hell? Well don't use the whistles so early. Collect some items on the earlier levels, and maybe pick up some P-Wings if you need them, then warp to world 8 and use the P-Wings on the level that you're stuck on.

You gotta beat the game man.

New SMB was so stupidly easy it was a joke. It was fun, but way too short and way too easy.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network

Your concept of stupid hard is strange and foreign to me. Can you name some other NES or SNES-era games that you find stupid hard and some that you find challenging hard?

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I really had no problems with this game.

1) Like the most games on that time, you could say the same about Zelda.

2) Hahaha, uhm.....HAHAHAHA XD....To hard? ....Sorry can't stop laughing..HAHA XD.

Serious you should try games like battletoads (still only finished the game one time).

3) Hmmm that is the same for a LOT of games on that time.

Super Mario World pissed all over SMB3 IMHO

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

NintendoTogepi said:

Actually, it is pretty much stupid hard. The game puts you in spots that requires inhuman reflexes.

Apparently, you've never played a game that actually requires inhuman reflexes before.

My brother and I played through it, completing every level in every world when I was probably 7 and he was around 10. Its not all that hard compared to some other games, most mentioned above.

Levels COULD be replayed, though under very specific circumstances (player dies, completely, all their levels turn to unbeaten)

I think SMB 3 was a much greater gaming Feat on the NES than SMW was on the SNES.

Plus, come on, with out SMB3 we would never have the line "I love the power glove, it's so bad"

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X