By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart Wii has crossed 20 MILLLION!!!!!

theprof00 said:
Squilliam said:

Theres no better measure of quality than sales. All other measures are subjective and not comparable and noone can agree on anything. Its nowhere near a perfect system but its better than a subjective system and its better than no system.

Well, in that same vain Islam is the only true religion, right?

Maybe it's not quite the same, but the highest quality book of all time (in America) is certainly not the Bible.

The Bible was bundled!

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
theprof00 said:
Squilliam said:

Theres no better measure of quality than sales. All other measures are subjective and not comparable and noone can agree on anything. Its nowhere near a perfect system but its better than a subjective system and its better than no system.

Well, in that same vain Islam is the only true religion, right?

Maybe it's not quite the same, but the highest quality book of all time (in America) is certainly not the Bible.

The Bible was bundled!

Ah shit ur right.

Plus, all those pagan groups that ordered thousands and thousands of Bibles to burn must have skewed the numbers too.

Congrats, I really wish I played you more. You deserve it.

lol, at the comments that the wheel sold the game,

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

metalmonstar said:

haha that's pretty funny actually

theprof00 said:
metalmonstar said:

haha that's pretty funny actually

I was hesitant about the game at first but when they came out with the two wheel bundle, that was a deal breaker.

95% of gamers don't know they are noobs, the 5% who do won't be noobs for long

Check out my kickstarter project: http://kck.st/15CEuUT

Check out my blog: http://www.metropolisgaming.com

Around the Network

sales dont equal quality, they just equal popularity

congrats MKWii

Monster Hunter Tri

Name: Silver

ID: 94BRVX

It's also important to note that the game is still (freaking) full price.

I almost got it for $40 on boxing day but resisted due to a huge pile of unopened games.

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

Since no-one can agree on what makes a quality game or movie as it comes down to taste its probably pointless even talking about whether or not a game has quality if theres no real definition on what quality means. Since quality doesn't really have an overall definition when related to games and the quantity of sales is a quality of a commercial release then just as you argued that Uncharted 2 sold systems I can argue that more sales = more quality as its about one of the only objective and comparable metrics for game quality.

The fact that HL2, FEAR and Killzone 2 sold over a million each indicates that they aren't bad games.

I'm sorry, I will always be against your theory that sales = quality. Many quality games don't see 1 million, doesn't mean they aren't quality experiences. It's subjective, yes, but sales =/= quality.

How can you define a game which sells <1M as quality? It probably has some flaw which keeps it from selling more. If so few people actually thought it was worthwhile to buy a game then how can it have much quality?

Quite simple: sales =/= quality.

subjective opinion =/= quality

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

"I judge quality from experience, not sales OR reviews."

If it's your own experience, it is subjective. If it's the experience of others, it's still subjective to them (plus would have the same weight as sales since both are how something is received).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

CGI-Quality said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I judge quality from experience, not sales OR reviews."

If it's your own experience, it is subjective. If it's the experience of others, it's still subjective to them (plus would have the same weight as sales since both are how something is received).

No shit.

But that's not what I'm saying though. Some people judge quality from Metacritic = subjective. Others from sales, which although is alos subjective, I don't agree that it tells the real tale of quality, as in it sells 1 million so it must be quality. My judge of quality comes from experience = yes, I agree that it's subjective. Difference is, I'm not waiting for the next guy to tell me how a game was, nor am I waiting to see if it goes on to sell 20 million either.

At the end of the day, the whole conversation is dealing with opinions anyway. I just don't base an opinion of a game on someone else's word, which is basically what waiting for sales and reviews is.

Okay, just as long as points are clear (leaves less room for confusion).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs