By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart Wii has crossed 20 MILLLION!!!!!

CGI-Quality said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
CGI-Quality said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"I judge quality from experience, not sales OR reviews."

If it's your own experience, it is subjective. If it's the experience of others, it's still subjective to them (plus would have the same weight as sales since both are how something is received).

No shit.

But that's not what I'm saying though. Some people judge quality from Metacritic = subjective. Others from sales, which although is alos subjective, I don't agree that it tells the real tale of quality, as in it sells 1 million so it must be quality. My judge of quality comes from experience = yes, I agree that it's subjective. Difference is, I'm not waiting for the next guy to tell me how a game was, nor am I waiting to see if it goes on to sell 20 million either.

At the end of the day, the whole conversation is dealing with opinions anyway. I just don't base an opinion of a game on someone else's word, which is basically what waiting for sales and reviews is.

Okay, just as long as points are clear (leaves less room for confusion).

Read the edit.

And wouldn't you mean "leaves room FROM confusion"? Unless you're seeking confusion..... O_o

I misunderstood him the first time and re-read it.

I meant you stated your position well, and that was a good thing. And the term "leave room for confusion" means a vague point that others can mistake for something else, which you didn't, and I was complimenting you on that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

Less is more?

Why would fans care about a game that sells 20 million, when they could have multiple games and have then seem moderatley. Come to think of it, most fans dopn't care that Mario Kart Wii sold 20 million copies.

I'm not saying that sales don't matter to anybody, as obviously the devs would love them to be high. But why should any GAMER care that this game just crossed 20 million? It was a success before that so 20 million just proves that it's a monstrous success. If there are more games to play with less sales though, I don't see why the majority would care for ONE game that does this. More games = more incentive to buy a said console, thus, the industry continues forward.

The PlayStation 2 wasn't a success story because Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec sold 14mill+. It was because of the plethora of titles that graced the console, which to this day, is the highest in history.

A game which sells more is a game which is probably better than a game which sells less. A lot of movies and games seem to sell well because they sell well as people wonder what the fuss is about. Since people have limited attention/money then choosing games which are popular is a less risky way to make your purchases.

COMPLETELY subjective. So tell me then, is Call of Duty instantly better than Halo? Is Final Fantasy better than Mass Effect? If you answered yes or no you wouldn't be wrong either way. Just because something sells more, or less, than something else doesn't make that prouct "better". And it's quite subjective no matter what.

Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R, & Killzone 2 are games that sold no where near Halo-like numbers. Many people, including myself, still prefer those 3 over it. Therefore, the sales theory doesn't hold much weight.

Half-Life 2, counting all ports and Orange Box, is probably close to Halo 3.

Going by VGC numbers, its already at like 6m. Its missing Orange Box (PC) numbers and I'm sure HL2 (and Orange Box) sold a lot digitaly. I'd also say the HL2 (PC) numbers here are lower than they really are, but thats just my guess based on how VGC doesn't really track PC games much and I don't remember seeing any of them changing often. I think the same for Diablo (II/LoD) anyway

My guess is, HL2 got to like... I don't know, perhaps 8-10m? Maybe I'm overestimating OB, DD and the missing sales (like others for OB and previously mentioned HL2 PC sales )

edit: I found this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21319  
It says HL2 sold 6.5m and Orange Box 3m. That makes it 9.5m for December 2008. I'm sure its over 10m now.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Chrizum said:
Obviously, most people buy it for the wheel. That's a bundle and therefore it doesn't count as a game.

Stop "trolling", Chrizum!

CGI-Quality said:
Son1x said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:
CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

Less is more?

Why would fans care about a game that sells 20 million, when they could have multiple games and have then seem moderatley. Come to think of it, most fans dopn't care that Mario Kart Wii sold 20 million copies.

I'm not saying that sales don't matter to anybody, as obviously the devs would love them to be high. But why should any GAMER care that this game just crossed 20 million? It was a success before that so 20 million just proves that it's a monstrous success. If there are more games to play with less sales though, I don't see why the majority would care for ONE game that does this. More games = more incentive to buy a said console, thus, the industry continues forward.

The PlayStation 2 wasn't a success story because Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec sold 14mill+. It was because of the plethora of titles that graced the console, which to this day, is the highest in history.

A game which sells more is a game which is probably better than a game which sells less. A lot of movies and games seem to sell well because they sell well as people wonder what the fuss is about. Since people have limited attention/money then choosing games which are popular is a less risky way to make your purchases.

COMPLETELY subjective. So tell me then, is Call of Duty instantly better than Halo? Is Final Fantasy better than Mass Effect? If you answered yes or no you wouldn't be wrong either way. Just because something sells more, or less, than something else doesn't make that prouct "better". And it's quite subjective no matter what.

Half-Life 2, F.E.A.R, & Killzone 2 are games that sold no where near Halo-like numbers. Many people, including myself, still prefer those 3 over it. Therefore, the sales theory doesn't hold much weight.

Half-Life 2, counting all ports and Orange Box, is probably close to Halo 3.

Going by VGC numbers, its already at like 6m. Its missing Orange Box (PC) numbers and I'm sure HL2 (and Orange Box) sold a lot digitaly. I'd also say the HL2 (PC) numbers here are lower than they really are, but thats just my guess based on how VGC doesn't really track PC games much and I don't remember seeing any of them changing often. I think the same for Diablo (II/LoD) anyway

My guess is, HL2 got to like... I don't know, perhaps 8-10m? Maybe I'm overestimating OB, DD and the missing sales (like others for OB and previously mentioned HL2 PC sales )

edit: I found this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21319  
It says HL2 sold 6.5m and Orange Box 3m. That makes it 9.5m for December 2008. I'm sure its over 10m now.

Of course if we include ALL of those variations, Half-Life 2 would be close. Halo 3 did all that and then some on one platform though. Irrelevant though, Half-Life 2 is the better game IMO.

Hell yes

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

Bottom line is that sales is an objective measurement that is not subjective. Few games reach the 20 million mark and it's a monumental achievement.

On a sales site, this is something that should be cared about. This is a sales forum which makes this benchmark particularly worthy of recognition.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Around the Network

GREAT SALES

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

CGI-Quality said:
Squilliam said:

Theres no better measure of quality than sales. All other measures are subjective and not comparable and noone can agree on anything. Its nowhere near a perfect system but its better than a subjective system and its better than no system.

Again, I disagree. I don't measure quality of a game by it 's sales, but my own personal play time. There are games that don't see millions and millions that are quality. Was Flower downloaded by 20 million people? No probably not, it probably wasn't even downloaded by 2 million. Is it quality, ask the folks who gave it GOTY, Indie GOTY and such.

Sales =/= quality. This is redundant though, because you have this same argument in many threads and it's played out.

As I said, it doesn't prove 'quality' it actually depends on what information you're looking to get. If you're comparing two similar FPS games on the same system with similar reviews and one sells twice as much as the other with no other reason given then yes the quality is probably higher on the higher selling title. Like everything it depends on how you use it. You'll probably find that against the other titles in PSN that Flower is somewhere near the top on sale rates and overall LTD sales, because of the quality and word of mouth. There are no demos or massive hype or advertising campaigns to sully the comparison.

What you're saying is that its a useless metric when infact theres a strong corelation between sales, quality (reviews) and user opinion. Its a useful tool in your toolbox if you're looking at an overall big picture or wish to compare two similar games.

Tease.