By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Next-Gen discusses the PSP's recent turnaround.

LordTheNightKnight said:
hunter_alien said:
What was I telling you ... I could see a PSP2 comming ~ 2010 and untill than the PSP will probably pass the 60 million and I see it , if it continues to sell well , to reach lifetime even the 70 million mark ...

I'm curious, so let's do some math. I'd like to estimate what it can do. Let's assume that the PSP maintains it's current momentum until 2010. For the past few weeks, it's been selling an average of 70,000 units per region (North America, Japan, Other) per week. That's 210,000 total per week, and 840,000 per month. Since we're at the start of November, that's 26 months until 2010. 840,000 x 26 = 21,840,000. Add that to the 26,140,000 already sold, and we have 47,980,000 by January 2010. And that doesn't even include the upcoming Japan numbers.

Again, that's assuming the sales rate stays as it is. If it dropes by half (not the worst case scenario, but the most likely worst case one), that's still just over 10 million, still enough to outsell the Genesis. If it doubles, that would be just over 60 million. However, doubling that would take a major upswing, even more than the boost the Slim gave. So I would say a slight upswing is the most likely scenario. Yet that would still be a major victory to outsell the SNES and Gameboy Color.

Well I was basing my calculation on growing sales of course , and I mean really growing ... still one thing is certain the 50 million , even with not so great support , will be hit . And 70 million was lifetime expectancy ... I dont thik that the PSP will die out as soon as the PSP2 hits the market , I still think that it will sell ~ 10 million . With games like MHF2G in Japan , GOW , GT4m , KH : BBS , Dissidia and probably more exclusives to come , and most deffinatly a pricedrop somewhere in the future , I see the PSP sales only to rise and not to drop ( overall ) . 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

"...what does "blockbuster" mean? Anything the marketing department wants it to :) On the plus side, congrats to the PSP for being one of the few handheld consoles that challenged Nintendo and survived."

I wouldn't really say it "challenged" Nintendo, i would say it did better than all other handhelds in keeping afloat.

DS is still on course (technically) to become the biggest selling console/handheld of all time?

Games i'm currently playing:

Well it did make Nintendo to not make a nother GB , rtaher than try and make something different ... the PSP is basicly IMO the spirituall successor of the GBA ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

hunter_alien said:
Well it did make Nintendo to not make a nother GB , rtaher than try and make something different ... the PSP is basicly IMO the spirituall successor of the GBA ...

Agreed. Nintendo really had to change its portable design/strategy with the PSP on the horizon.

Meanwhile, the PSP took the GBA and gave it a bigger processor. 

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.

greg said:
naznatips said:
Gazz said:
AM I the only one that thinks the PSP and DS both service a different crowd? ( a small percentage of hardcore gamers aside that is) In my book the DS always seemed the more casual handheld and the PSP the more "serious" one.

Comparing sales between those 2 always seems so irrelevant to me.

As someone who has both, I can say with certainty that you are completely incorrect. The 3rd party support on the DS means it gets many more 3rd party core games than the PSP does and of many mroe genres. You don't think Sony wants Contra, Dragon Quest, tons of new Square games, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, etc. on the PSP? Of course they do, and those are "serious" games as you call them. They absolutely compete directly for the same gamers, and the DS absolutely has more of them, and because of that gets more big games.

Their games are completely different though, psp games are similar to PS2 games and they take longer to make than DS games that are similar to GBA games(with a touch screen and slightly better graphics), so it's obvious that DS gets more games, but PSP games take much longer to complete, and have much more depth, as I said before, it's like comparing a PS2 game to a GBA game, monster hunter portable takes longer time to complete than 10(if not more) of the longest DS games put together, and yes I own both handhelds.

really??? one game of ds is minimal 4 times as long as the monster hunters : PO-KE-MON

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

tbh with u i still havent seen that so called "turn around" where i work in gamestation 7 out of 10 people that ask for some its usually wii or ds the other 3 are split between the rest

Feel free to check out my 8 montages at www.youtube.co.uk/stonj 

you can also find me at myspace.com/jamiestoner47 and on facebook

XBL :: stonj

It's not about how many PSPs are sold, its about how many games are sold, and that's really where the PSP is a dissapointment for Sony. Pitiful Software Sales.

A couples things.

Selling more than the Sega Genesis does not mean a system is a blockbuster, whatever that means.

Sony did well be making the PSP. Anyway you figure, it has to be considered a success.

Saying DS games are like GBA games and PSP games are like PS2 games is silly. One of the 1st games on the DS was Super Mario 64 DS. Could this game have even been made on a PS1? What about Zelda PH?

DS seems to focus on the casual, hardcore, and kiddie crowds. PSP seems to focus on the hardcore and media crowds. There is no way PSP will ever be able to best DS when DS has more hardcore games than the PSP.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

Gazz said:
naznatips said:
Gazz said:
AM I the only one that thinks the PSP and DS both service a different crowd? ( a small percentage of hardcore gamers aside that is) In my book the DS always seemed the more casual handheld and the PSP the more "serious" one.

Comparing sales between those 2 always seems so irrelevant to me.

As someone who has both, I can say with certainty that you are completely incorrect. The 3rd party support on the DS means it gets many more 3rd party core games than the PSP does and of many mroe genres. You don't think Sony wants Contra, Dragon Quest, tons of new Square games, Call of Duty 4, Assassin's Creed, etc. on the PSP? Of course they do, and those are "serious" games as you call them. They absolutely compete directly for the same gamers, and the DS absolutely has more of them, and because of that gets more big games.

The PSP has a list of games that other companys would like too. There's an call of duty on the PSP, they have their Jax, tons of racing games, strategy and a load more of games like God of war which tons of companys would kill for. I am not denying the DS doesn't have enough games or any fanboy crap like that.

I have both the PSP and DS too, I just really think the DS adresses a completely different market then the PSP does and these handhelds don't compete with eachother, but complete one another. Both have their pros and cons and having both gives a gamer the best of two worlds. I still believe that comparing sales is irrelevant.

You are very misinformed. Monster Hunter Freedom was released in February of 2006. Monster Hunter Freedom 2nd was released in May of 2007. Assuming development began a couple months before the release date of MHF, MHF2 had a 1.5 year turn around. Dragon Quest IX was announced 2 and a half years ago on the DS, and has a 2008 release date. It's going to have a 3 year turn around.

Comparing sales (and games) between the DS and PSP is absolutely relevant. Just as it is to compare between the Wii and PS3. Also, calling it the same as comparing the GBA to the PS2 is ridiculous and ignorant. Dragon Quest VIII was a PS2 game and by all accounts Dragon Quest IX is even longer and deeper with online co-op. It completely blows Monster Hunter away in series popularity in the "serious" market, and the only hardcore RPG more popular than Dragon Quest in Japan is Pokemon, which is of course also on the DS.

The DS is not just beating up the PSP in hardware sales. It's obliterating it in Software sales. Core games are selling signifficantly better on the DS than they do on the PSP, and it's clear that there are many more core gamers who own DSes from the software sales alone. Firmware doesn't make anywhere near the difference people think it makes. The PSP is simply being purchased by people who don't buy a single game for it.

I love my PSP, but there is a gigantic difference in 3rd party support for both core and casual games between the PSP and DS. It's comparable to the difference in 3rd party support from the PS2 to the Gamecube, but the roles are reversed. Their markets are the same. The difference is the DS has a second market (casual) along with its core market. It outsells the PSP on both types of games though, so that's really irrelevant. Saying you can't compare the two is like saying you can't compare the Wii and PS3. Of course they compete with each other. That's ridiculous.

Now I just feel like an ass :P I NEVER bought my PSP for gaming xD I despise hand-held gaming, I bought it because it had a bigger screen than the DS, Played music, movies, internet browser from the get-go, I know the real money is made in the games, and I have purchased a few, and to be honest, I've been buying the PS1 titles that I can't get a hold of nowadays :P FF 1 and 2 were awesome, as were Tactics, Valkyrie profile etc etc.

I'd say Nintendo's major lead on the DS is that it ONLY caters to gamers, I honestly can't imagine anyone buying it for any other purpose, whereas the PSP caters to the Media types, does anyone know how much they make off selling a single PSP?

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.