By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - SEGA says they probably won’t create more mature games for Wii, talks sales

jarrod said:
famousringo said:

It was a pretty fun thread, then you had to go and murder it.

Well, I hope you're pleased with yourself.

lol.  Here, I'll make it even easier on the HD twins by combining them...

The House of the Dead 2 &3 Return (Wii) 1,130,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS360) 780,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS360) 690,000
The House of the Dead Overkill (Wii) 480,000
Yakuza 3 (PS3) 480,000
Condemned: Criminal Origins (360) 460,000
The Club (PS360) 390,000
MadWorld (Wii) 370,000
Bayonetta (PS360) 290,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS360) 200,000
Stormrise (PS360) 100,000

Average sales per console...

Wii: 660,000
PS360: 424,000

This thread just got owned. Now everyone can move on.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
demonfox13 said:
PhantomLink said:
Vanillaware titles are not exactly mainstream, so I think that bashing Muramasa sales is completely wrong.

Doesn't change the fact that given the install base of the Wii and that alot of action/rpg lovers have the system it should have sold considerably more. I am not bashing Muramasa as far as quality because as I said, I would buy a Wii for that game and that game only (something Zelda will never make me do unless they do an Ocarina of Time remake). Look at Demon's Souls. How much more niche can you get than that and no euro release either with an even smaller install base to the Wii. Care to explain that one to me? You can also look at VC. Point that I am trying to make is wtf are Wii owners buying? A second copy of Wii sports? Another gimmick fitness game? You guys have some amazing titles that don't translate to sales when it easily can. Top seller is what Wii sports? lol. My "bash" is more of a frustration at seeing such quality titles go to "waste" when anyone who has a clue about gaming regardless of what system they own would pick up Muramasa in a heartbeat. Perhaps since I haven't owned a Ninty system since SNES, I am not blinded by JUST focusing on mario, metroid and zelda and that's why I could appreciate titles on YOUR system that break away from the typical franchises and that stay away from gimmicks. This isn't a bash on the Wii, on the contrary, it's a praise for being able to bring something different to the table. I also liked madworld as much as I liked Wet (both good games).

You can cherrypick on every system.  Why did Folklore and 3D Dot Game Heroes bomb on PS3 if action RPGs sell so well there.  Hell, the 3 best selling Japanese Action RPGs this gen (Zelda TP, MH3, Super Paper Mario) are all Wii games.

Muramasa is doing okay, comparably to the last similar game from this developer on PS2.  I'm not sure how you can really spin that?

until versus show up :p

Kage848 said:
jarrod said:
famousringo said:

It was a pretty fun thread, then you had to go and murder it.

Well, I hope you're pleased with yourself.

lol.  Here, I'll make it even easier on the HD twins by combining them...

The House of the Dead 2 &3 Return (Wii) 1,130,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS360) 780,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS360) 690,000
The House of the Dead Overkill (Wii) 480,000
Yakuza 3 (PS3) 480,000
The Club (PS360) 390,000
MadWorld (Wii) 370,000
Bayonetta (PS360) 290,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS360) 200,000
Stormrise (PS360) 100,000

Wii: 660,000
PS360: 424,000

This thread just got owned. Now everyone can move on.

I approve of this message.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

^ thats a lot of cherry picking.

Xoj said:

What do you mean? It's a straight across comparison. M-rated SEGA PS3 and/or 360 games vs. M-rated SEGA Wii games.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:
Xoj said:

What do you mean? It's a straight across comparison. M-rated SEGA PS3 and/or 360 games vs. M-rated SEGA Wii games.

I think he miss the M-rated part.

This thread is probably dead but I can't believe that people do not understand that not all the games are mainstream.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

PhantomLink said:
Mr Khan said:
Xoj said:

This thread is probably dead but I can't believe that people do not understand that not all the games are mainstream.

No. It's just that some of the bigger games in his list have't released in NA or Others, while the biggest Wii Mature seller, has released in JP, NA and Others. So it's obvious it will have more sales. For example, Bayonetta and Yakuza have not released in NA or Others, I expect a good 300k copies sold for each. 

Since there are only two high selling Wii games in Jarrods list, it's obvious the "average" or "mean" will be high! It's basic math.

The list will be much more interesting when all games are released on all territories.  

DaBuddahN said:
PhantomLink said:
Mr Khan said:
Xoj said:

No. It's just that some of the bigger games in his list have't released in NA or Others, while the biggest Wii Mature seller, has released in JP, NA and Others. So it's obvious it will have more sales. For example, Bayonetta and Yakuza have not released in NA or Others, I expect a good 300k copies sold for each. 

Since there are only two high selling Wii games in Jarrods list, it's obvious the "average" or "mean" will be high! It's basic math.

The list will be much more interesting when all games are released on all territories.

When all games are released on all territories I think the average for ps360 will be higher than the Wii average. But the difference will not be that much. And the argument that Sega's mature games doesn't sell on the Wii will be as wrong as is now.

Why don't you make like a tree and get out of here?

Xoj said:
jarrod said:
demonfox13 said:
PhantomLink said:
Vanillaware titles are not exactly mainstream, so I think that bashing Muramasa sales is completely wrong.

Doesn't change the fact that given the install base of the Wii and that alot of action/rpg lovers have the system it should have sold considerably more. I am not bashing Muramasa as far as quality because as I said, I would buy a Wii for that game and that game only (something Zelda will never make me do unless they do an Ocarina of Time remake). Look at Demon's Souls. How much more niche can you get than that and no euro release either with an even smaller install base to the Wii. Care to explain that one to me? You can also look at VC. Point that I am trying to make is wtf are Wii owners buying? A second copy of Wii sports? Another gimmick fitness game? You guys have some amazing titles that don't translate to sales when it easily can. Top seller is what Wii sports? lol. My "bash" is more of a frustration at seeing such quality titles go to "waste" when anyone who has a clue about gaming regardless of what system they own would pick up Muramasa in a heartbeat. Perhaps since I haven't owned a Ninty system since SNES, I am not blinded by JUST focusing on mario, metroid and zelda and that's why I could appreciate titles on YOUR system that break away from the typical franchises and that stay away from gimmicks. This isn't a bash on the Wii, on the contrary, it's a praise for being able to bring something different to the table. I also liked madworld as much as I liked Wet (both good games).

You can cherrypick on every system.  Why did Folklore and 3D Dot Game Heroes bomb on PS3 if action RPGs sell so well there.  Hell, the 3 best selling Japanese Action RPGs this gen (Zelda TP, MH3, Super Paper Mario) are all Wii games.

Muramasa is doing okay, comparably to the last similar game from this developer on PS2.  I'm not sure how you can really spin that?

until versus show up :p

Versus will probably outsell MH3.  It's a toss up between it and SPM.  No chance in hell it'll come close to Zelda though.

DaBuddahN said:
PhantomLink said:
Mr Khan said:
Xoj said:

Yakuza 3 won't come even close to 300k in western territories.  Bayonetta will do better than 300k imo, but still move less than a million worldwide.

In fairness though, here's the number of markets released so far for each of the games...

3 territories

• Condemned: Criminal Origins (360)
  • The House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return (Wii)
  • The House of the Dead Overkill (Wii)

2 territories

• Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS360)
  • Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS360)
  • MadWorld (Wii)
  • Stormrise (PS360)
  • The Club (PS360)
  • Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS360)

1 territory

• Bayonetta (PS360)
  • Yakuza 3 (PS3)

...going off this idea, if we look at only sales for NA/EU (which I guess makes more sense given this producer is making games for pretty much just those markets)...

The House of the Dead 2 &3 Return (Wii) 1,100,000
The House of the Dead Overkill (Wii) 470,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (360) 470,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (360) 410,000
MadWorld (Wii) 370,000
Condemned 2: Bloodshot (PS3) 310,000
Viking: Battle for Asgard (PS3) 280,000
The Club (360) 240,000
The Club (PS3) 150,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (360) 120,000
Golden Axe: Beast Rider (PS3) 80,000
Stormrise (360) 50,000
Stormrise (PS3) 50,000

Wii: 647,000
360: 292,000
PS3: 174,000

...wow.  That extra market sure was the tipping point, huh? ;)