By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Upcoming M-Rated Golden Axe - exclusive or not?

This game looks really badass. I was checking out the screenshots in the Play magazine at Starbucks. Its morphed from a multiplayer hack and slash to a solo God of War/Heavenly Sword type deal.
The dwarf and male fighter have been removed, leaving the hot barbarian chick solo although the former characters still make an appearance.

Conflicting reports about platform availability on the internet, most say 360 exclusive, however there are rumors of a PS3 version in the works.

Play says this game was designed with an M rating from the beginning, so lots of gore and possible nudity, lol.

Either way, this game will probably get major hype (and controversy) as it approaches completion.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network

I love game nudity, really gets me going.

No multiplayer? Both other characters removed? Well that killed my interest in this completely... Co-op is what made the original Golden Axe so great. I hate when developers use an established franchise name to sell a new game that has absolutely nothing to do with the style of the original. Screw you Sega. Stop killing every good thing you did in the 90s.

naznatips said:
No multiplayer? Both other characters removed? Well that killed my interest in this completely... Co-op is what made the original Golden Axe so great. I hate when developers use an established franchise name to sell a new game that has absolutely nothing to do with the style of the original. Screw you Sega. Stop killing every good thing you did in the 90s.

still not as bad as what they did to shining force.

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Nazna, dont be so quick to screw Sega. Looks like they are putting some good work into this game.

I agree, the original Golden Axe had its multiplayer charm, but has that type of game really flourished lately? Sadly it seems to be a dying breed. Im thinking the likes of Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, even Ninja Turtles (which went solo and seemed to be the best candidate for multi). The last game I played along those lines was Gauntlet on PS2, which was good fun but nothing spectacular.

I guess the genre is dead...and probably could use a revival in next-gen form.

PS360 ftw!

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network
friedtofu said:

Hey Nazna, dont be so quick to screw Sega. Looks like they are putting some good work into this game.

I agree, the original Golden Axe had its multiplayer charm, but has that type of game really flourished lately? Sadly it seems to be a dying breed. Im thinking the likes of Double Dragon, Streets of Rage, even Ninja Turtles (which went solo and seemed to be the best candidate for multi). The last game I played along those lines was Gauntlet on PS2, which was good fun but nothing spectacular.

I guess the genre is dead...and probably could use a revival in next-gen form.

I know it's a dying breed, and that's why I was so excited about it.  I love the original Golden Axe (and Golden Axe 2), but my fond memories of them are all in multiplayer with friends.  Co-op play as I hack people away at the knees as the dwarf or killing each other over which one of us gets to use the dragon haha.  And yeah, Gauntlet Legends (N64) and Gauntlet Dark Legacy (PS2, GC, Xbox) are really the last games of the style that come to mind. 

There are plenty of single-player hack and slash games.  That's not what made the original Golden Axe awesome to me though.  So, this is basically Sega raising my hopes sky high and then slamming them into the ground.  It may be a decent game in its own right, but I'll have difficulty playing it because of it taking my hopes of a new co-op 3D arcade adventure and crushing them.

naznatips said:

Gaming companies are largely taking a page from movie companies these days.  Digging out long forgotten franchises and resurrecting them.  In some cases, the outcome is pleasant but in others, not so much.  Unless the style of the game lends itself perfectly to moving into today's era of gaming, I would not hold my breath for any such game. Games like the up-and-coming Golden Axe need to be  treated as entirely new games/series until they actually show their roots.

I, for one, love co-op games.  Even games like RBO and Dynasty Warriors have their play lifespans significantly increased simply by being co-op.  It's not a dead genre, not yet anyway.

I'm with Naznatips on this one. I am sick and tired of Sega desecrating their old IPs. Don't call it Golden Axe if its not a multiplayer action title. They started this scrap with Shining Force and I see the trend is continuing.

The Shining series has always crossed genres but you used to be able to tell the type of game by the title. Shining In the...were turned based first person RPGs. Shining Force was a tactical RPG with a max of 12 players in you party. Shining Soul were the action RPG of the Shining IPs. Now Sega just slaps Shining Force on everything.

I am sad to see the same thing occur with Golden Axe. I am not saying it won't be a good game, it just won't be a true Golden Axe. I haven't been this disappointed since Dodge made the Charger a four door sedan.

Im pretty sure a Sega spokesman confirmed a PS3 version , but I'm too lazy to digg for the links now *yawn*. There was a news on n4g or kotaku about that.

Darc Requiem said:
. I haven't been this disappointed since Dodge made the Charger a four door sedan.

Hahaha. Im with you on that one!

PS360 ftw!