By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - First Natal game possibly revealed at a holiday party for Xbox 360!

JaggedSac said:
^^I see what you were saying now, thanks. I agree with you. How do you feel about the upcoming push for 3D stuff?

It sounds kind of cool on paper  like Natal but I havent seen much of it yet. I wanna be prepared but definetly dont know what to expect. 

Around the Network

So there is no working link to the video :(

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

FreeTalkLive said:

Just type in in youtube geometrywars natal

JaggedSac said:
binary solo said:
Strategyking92 said:
why does it look like he's autistic?

Because he's not holding a controller.

That certainly isn't the game to get the viral marketing campaign into high gear, and it uses none of the features that are meant to make Natal the next gaming revolution. It is a good tech demo of how gesture based gaming can work in different gaming genres, but it doesn't necessarily show how gesture based gaming improves the gaming experience in different genres.

This is not a gesture based game. It is using the absolute positioning of the hands for everything. Shooting is along the vector perpindicular to the vector intercepting both hands. Movement is controlled by moving both hands in the direction desired. This is basically just a mapping to two analog sticks and I would not consider analog sticks to be gesture based.

If you are controlling an image on screen using the movement of your hands then that's gesture based. The fact that the same effect can be achieved using 2 analog sticks, or that your hands basically map to analog stick equivalents means it's only the most simple gesturing that is needed. If you move your hand for the purposes of conveying a meaningful signal then that's a gesture.

I can't go back and check now, but I thought he was also using a bit of finger waggle for something too, but maybe not.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
JaggedSac said:
binary solo said:
Strategyking92 said:
why does it look like he's autistic?

Because he's not holding a controller.

That certainly isn't the game to get the viral marketing campaign into high gear, and it uses none of the features that are meant to make Natal the next gaming revolution. It is a good tech demo of how gesture based gaming can work in different gaming genres, but it doesn't necessarily show how gesture based gaming improves the gaming experience in different genres.

This is not a gesture based game. It is using the absolute positioning of the hands for everything. Shooting is along the vector perpindicular to the vector intercepting both hands. Movement is controlled by moving both hands in the direction desired. This is basically just a mapping to two analog sticks and I would not consider analog sticks to be gesture based.

If you are controlling an image on screen using thple movement of your hands then that's gesture based. The fact that the same effect can be achieved using 2 analog sticks, or that your hands basically map to analog stick equivalents means it's only the most simple gesturing that is needed. If you move your hand for the purposes of conveying a meaningful signal then that's a gesture.

I can't go back and check now, but I thought he was also using a bit of finger waggle for something too, but maybe not.

Well I am going to have to disagree with your definition of a gesture based system. A gesture based system is one that uses a series of contiguous frames to correlate to a known "gesture" which then executes an in game action. This game needs only 1 frame to determine everything. If we were to use your definition of gesturing, that would include almost every game ever made. The only differences being how the movement is detected, be that an analog stick. or a button. This is far too wide for my liking.

Around the Network

Usually when someone refers to "gesture controls" they're referring to a proxy motion that stands in for a standard button press. Essentially an unnecessary input scheme beyond being more satisfying to execute, like swinging a controller to represent a clubbing strike instead of just pressing a button.

Unfortunately it also refers to any sort of wild spastic flailing that is interpreted by the software as a series of inputs, not much different from rapid button mashing.

IMO, once you start using those gestures to accurately (key word) replace the directional input of an analog (other keyword, as in velocity sensitive) stick, is when things start getting a bit more intricate and go beyond the whole "proxy" motion for button presses. Motion velocity of the player should directly control the speed of the corresponding action on screen.

But with analog stick replacement controls for something like Geometry Wars, technically all one should have to do is move their index fingers or thumbs up/down, left/right since the game itself only records motion input on the X and Y axis. You shouldn't have to pantomime with elaborate hand movements, just little subtle finger movements.

can we have an official natal thread. thank you and good night lol.

Very good to see it in development.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

Netyaroze said:
FreeTalkLive said:

Just type in in youtube geometrywars natal

It don't work.