By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Genres you wish would just die off

Is there any genres you wish would die off? Why would you wish that?

My list:

1. Jrpg:s

They are so boring and always just the same. Same story, same boring cliches. Can't stand them.

2. Platformers

I don't understand how some people could actually enjoy this genre. All you do is jump and collect some lame coins/stars. Boring.

3. Minigames

These are so shallow and boring. Can't stand them at all.

Around the Network

Rhythm Games. Bullshit coated in plastic instruments for 15-year olds to think they can play guitar. These games are so pointless and annoying.

Ah, OP maker, your taste in games sucks ;)

Xen said:
Rhythm Games. Bullshit coated in plastic instruments for 15-year olds to think they can play guitar. These games are so pointless and annoying.

That would be my fourth pick. Damn.

Xen said:

Well I hope DDR isn't included in your list -_-

For me, and I don't believe it's a genre, but movie based games gotta fucking go.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

My list:

1. WRPGs:

They are so boring and always just the same. Same story, same boring cliches. Can't stand them.

2. FPSs

I don't understand how some people could actually enjoy this genre. All you do is run and shoot some lame bad guy/other player online. Boring.

3. Mini games

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

Around the Network
hatmoza said:
Xen said:

Well I hope DDR isn't included in your list -_-

For me, and I don't believe it's a genre, but movie based games gotta fucking go.

DDR? Nah. At least it's useful.

MRFENIX said:

Is there any genres you wish would die off? Why would you wish that?

My list:

1. Jrpg:s

2. Platformers

I don't understand how some people could actually enjoy this genre. All you do is jump and collect some lame coins/stars. Boring.

3. Minigames

I don't wish for any to die off because even if I do not care for a specific genre I know there are people who enjoy them. I love JRPGs and Platformers for example.

I would however like some genres to slow down, like shooters. We are getting too many and it is annoying me.

At least it seems like 2010 is the Year of the RPG.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

RageBot said:
My list:

1. WRPGs:

2. FPSs

I don't understand how some people could actually enjoy this genre. All you do is run and shoot some lame bad guy/other player online. Boring.

3. Mini games

I get your point but could you at least make up your own reasons. :)

I dunno about the JRPG thing man. Sure alot of the crap we've gotten has been horrible but there were lots that also broke away from the average storyline. You should try playing Valkyrie Profile 1 and 2 as it deals with Norse mythology. Ar Tonelico is also another unique game with unique storyline and gameplay, not the old school turn based at all. Demon's Souls is another JRPG with western flavor that doesn't hold your hand and is very niche with a more unique way of telling a story. Even Final Fantasy 8 was different from traditional final fantasies, the whole academy training you to be a mercenary part was appealing.
Platformers, hmm Ratchet and Clank actually fall into the platformer category except you shoot with some amazingly crazy weapons, loads of action and no, it's not collecting stupid coins and stars, you are probably singling out Nintendo's super milked Mario franchise, or Sega's Sonic.
I agree with Xen on the Rhythm games though. I am also getting sick of FPS', this gen has been more than saturated by them. ODST=ripoff for the consumer. Halo 3, MW1, MW2, Haze, KZ2, COD:WAW, BF:BC, Resistance 1, resistance 2, bioshock, etc, etc, etc,etc
And plz define minigames, because I see those as 85% of the games the Wii has gotten.

halo