By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Dragon Quest VI Trailer - Jump Fiesta 2010

Yeah, Kenryoku, you need to chill. I mean, damn. Commenting that one orchestral arrangement resembles another is not the vicious attack that you apparently took it as.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
Actually, I love the puns and accents. Much better than the blandness of earlier translations. Only quibble I have with with the Westernizations are the new goofy nomenclature for spells and abilities.

Yeah, I think it pretty much has its roots to the translation team for Dragon Quest VIII, which wanted all the spells/abilities to be similar to Final Fantasy.  And I wonder where they'd get that idea....  Oh maybe because the head of production on the localization was the same guy who did the localization for Final Fantasy VIII.  And what's this!  That's the same Final Fantasy where we got spell names like Blizzard, Blizzara, Blizzaga....

Yeah, I blame that guy for a lot of things.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:

"Koichi Sugiyama's music was the source of the very first game-related symphonic suite, live concert, and ballet performance. His various breakthroughs influenced all game music composers, especially Nobuo Uematsu."

From the third link itself.  Also I don't need to 'prove' anything to you.  I'm just doing it now because you're being such a dick.

Please, if you just want a ego battle, go somewhere else.  I don't want to go 10 rounds of 'oh yeah, well riddle me this' to try to salvage your ego for whatever reason.  You pretty much stuffed your foot in your mouth with your first post.

Look, it's not an ego battle and never was.  I don't know anything about Koichi Sugiyama, didn't recognize the DQ song in the trailer, and commented because it heavily resembled one of the Fire Emblem songs I've heard. 

You posted information and I said it was neat but to post your sources next time (because they might actually be useful to someone not familiar with it).  You come back with your "5 second google search" comment which clearly has a nasty attitude attached to with it along the lines of "Well how dare I have to post sources to what I say."

My response is that one of your sources doesn't even seem relevant to what you said so why are you posting things that aren't even your real sources? 

And your response is to call me a dick?  Look, asking for sources may have upset you but don't take it personally and don't get nasty because someone might actually want learn from something other than your posts.

I acted the way I did because, no matter how you may have thought you were acting, short one word phrases like 'neat but post sources' and trying to call me out on said sources which clearly repeated everything I had posted before seem exactly like someone who is trying to be contradictory and start an argument.  And because this isn't exactly the first time this has happened, so I was trying to just post the 'sources' you wanted WITHOUT stating any comments so you WOULDN'T get offended and something like this would happen.  When posting those links didn't work, I thought you were just trying to start an argument.

In the end, whatever the cause, if you feel it was a misunderstanding or there's something else behind it, perhaps this should be the end of it.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

blaydcor said:
Actually, I love the puns and accents. Much better than the blandness of earlier translations. Only quibble I have with with the Westernizations are the new goofy nomenclature for spells and abilities.

Are you referring to spells such as ‘Crack’ and ‘Fizzle’? I completely agree… What are you supposed to think when your status is “fizzled”?

I have no idea what the accents on the Japanese version or fan translation are like but the official translation is a bit bewildering.

Rick1331 said:
blaydcor said:

Are you referring to spells such as ‘Crack’ and ‘Fizzle’? I completely agree… What are you supposed to think when your status is “fizzled”?

I have no idea what the accents on the Japanese version or fan translation are like but the official translation is a bit bewildering.

Well actually, after just one or two times of experimentation, its not that hard to understand the concepts such as 'Fizzled' and 'Oomphed'.  While they obviously could have given them better names (Drained and Buffed as just two ideas off the top of my head), the basic concept is still there.  Frankly, I'm probably one of the few people who think the spell names are a slight improvement over the older localaized names like 'Healmore/HealMost/HealAll' and 'Drain' and 'Confuse'.

But as for the whole accent/pun junk...that just has to go.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

cool

Around the Network

will do wonders for ds in japan when it will be released

^ I don't think that the DS does need any wonders anywhere anymore, but I will surely buy DQVI on day one of EU release (and at this time more than 1 million Japanese gamers will already own it).

This gen I fell in love with one of the oldest videogame franchises.