By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why does the Playstation 3 continue to receive poor ports?

1) The console is the hardest to develop for. This doesn't mean the software has to suck, but it does mean developers need to put in more effort than the minimum amount possible.

2) It isn't the lead console, so developers may not feel that they should invest as much money into making the game up to standards (see point 1, they need to do more work than absolute minimum)

3) developers are lazy and/or running out of money. With all the losses being posted, they may be under strict orders not to go over budget. This would prevent them from fixing problems that go above and beyond point 1.

@question tacked on end

It is best to design first on the most limited system and then port to the more capable system. This however is very hard to figure out in this situation. You have less cores (therfore less threading) on the X360, so from that standpoint, it makes sense to develope on the system with less threads, and less complexity and then port up. However, the X360 is more advanced in other areas (flexible memory) so it would make sense to start on the PS3. Obviously I don't know enough about both peices of hardware to make an educated decision, but the general rule of thumb is start on the limited hardware and port up. Also, there may be other factors like dev software quality that factors into which system to start on.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
Severance said:
CommonMan said:
I challenged the "lazy developers" credo in another thread, and was summarily ripped to shreds. I will not go against the "common knowledge" of VGChartz again. Therefore, developers are lazy and VALVe is not a good developer.

but the orange box is a good port! shocking right?

i have it and i don't see whats bad about it.

but gabe newell is still FAT

but THE ORANGE BOX wasn't ported by valve.. they refused to port it, and called the ps3 a waste of time.

mM
leo-j said:
Severance said:
CommonMan said:
I challenged the "lazy developers" credo in another thread, and was summarily ripped to shreds. I will not go against the "common knowledge" of VGChartz again. Therefore, developers are lazy and VALVe is not a good developer.

but THE ORANGE BOX wasn't ported by valve.. they refused to port it, and called the ps3 a waste of time.

i know but that doesn't make it a bad port , EA did a good job porting it. even though the online in TM2 is laggy most of the time. but even that because of my crappy connection.

Edit : Gabe was too fat to get the PS3 Dev kit that is 6 inchs away from him.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:
CommonMan said:

I have it aswell, I didn't seem to have a problem with it at first (it was one of the first games I owned) but after I beat Half Life 2 I didn't bother playing episode 1 or 2. A couple years later (after playing many well made games) I never realized how f*cked up the Orange Box port was, it was horrible. I started Episode 1 a few weeks ago and it had extremely unresponsive controls, so bad it effects how you play the game, I'll move the stick or push a button and literally more then 1 second later I'll move or shoot, jump etc, can you imagine how tough it is to make a precise jump? And lets not forget the horrible load times, the freezing, the glitches, bugs etc

It's one of the worst ports I've played this gen.

Edit: How come a lot of the times I make a thread it turns into the Gabe Newell is fat thread? lol

3 years in its pretty sad to see bad ports still popping up. I mean the first year it made sense because the PS3 was hard to develop for; but not 3 years in.

And its not like Sega doesn't know how to make games on PS3. They did a nice job with Valkyrie Chronicles.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:
Severance said:
CommonMan said:

I have it aswell, I didn't seem to have a problem with it at first (it was one of the first games I owned) but after I beat Half Life 2 I didn't bother playing episode 1 or 2. A couple years later (after playing many well made games) I never realized how f*cked up the Orange Box port was, it was horrible. I started Episode 1 a few weeks ago and it had extremely unresponsive controls, so bad it effects how you play the game, I'll move the stick or push a button and literally more then 1 second later I'll move or shoot, jump etc, can you imagine how tough it is to make a precise jump? And lets not forget the horrible load times, the freezing, the glitches, bugs etc

It's one of the worst ports I've played this gen.

Edit: How come a lot of the times I make a thread it turns into the Gabe Newell is fat thread? lol

he is so fat he is all over the place(s)

everyone knows by now that microsoft deals a little bit of cash under the table to companies so they will butcher up the ps3 version a tad

(troll)

Pock3R said:
everyone knows by now that microsoft deals a little bit of cash under the table to companies so they will butcher up the ps3 version a tad

(troll)

actually they do it using valves not tables

(jk)

Burnout Paradise is superior on the ps3.

gurglesletch said:
Burnout Paradise is superior on the ps3.

yeah every once in awhile a company will reject microsofts offer