By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - what if the next nintendo console was NOT in hd?

There would be NO third party games. Developers already use that as an excuse, they would really use it next time around (and rightfully so because by the time the next generation of consoles come out, HD will be ubiquitous).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Around the Network

It'll go beyond HD..... UHD (the U is for Ultra, fulfilling what they wanted to call the N64 ~14 years ago)

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

couchmonkey said:
Dr.Grass said:
EL_PATRAS said:
Joelcool7 said:
EL_PATRAS said:
i think the real question here is: What if the next nintendo console is yet again technically inferior to the competition?

I don't think thats the real question. Nintendo fans don't mind being a little inferior to the competition. But we do expect that Nintendo will at least beat PS3. I'd pay another 300$ for a PS3 power console next gen from Nintendo, I don't care if it is a little inferior to the PS4/NexBox as long as the console isn't drastically inferior. I was fine with the Wii being 2x the X-Box and would be fine with the next console being the same power as PS3.

Ask any other Nintendo fan whether they care if Nintendo is graphically inferior to PS4/NexBox and I bet most won't really care that much. Then again third parties will most definatly care! But I don't buy Nintendo consoles for third party games so I could give a flying crap what they think lol!

That's the problem right there.  Do you want to lag behind the other consoles playing only ports and half-assed excuses for games, or do you want to play some MGS, GTA and other awesome franchises.  The wii being technically inferior to the competition this gen has condemned unintendo fans to playing a cart load of sub-par games.  I'll buy the next nintendo console even if it's just 2 wiis taped together(wink, wink), because the reason i play games is to play nintendo games.  Be this as it may, the gap between nintendo and its competition this generation is too abyssmal to be over looked, and I for one most definetly hope next gen will be diferent.

I agree.

Even though Nintendo is #1 for me, I think they could've at least tried to put a powerful processor in there. The gap, as you say,  is too large. Next gen I want to see some quality 3rd party games and not just shovelware.

I hate to say it, but graphics matter. It's not everything, but it does matter.

But why should we assume that more power would equal higher-quality third party games?  That wasn't really the case for GameCube which didn't get MGS or GTA.  It got better multi-platform releases than Wii, but that's not saying much.

Gonna have to agree there. The fact that the Gamecube had pretty much the same install base as the Xbox, and we didn't get GTA, is pitiful. I mean, yeah let's try to get 3rd party support....but we can't rely on them (outside Japanese 3rd parties). We're going to need to have more software diversification outside of the core franchises so that we're self-sustaining.

Then they'll lose market share.

Sempuukyaku said:
couchmonkey said:
Dr.Grass said:
EL_PATRAS said:
Joelcool7 said:
EL_PATRAS said:
i think the real question here is: What if the next nintendo console is yet again technically inferior to the competition?

I don't think thats the real question. Nintendo fans don't mind being a little inferior to the competition. But we do expect that Nintendo will at least beat PS3. I'd pay another 300$ for a PS3 power console next gen from Nintendo, I don't care if it is a little inferior to the PS4/NexBox as long as the console isn't drastically inferior. I was fine with the Wii being 2x the X-Box and would be fine with the next console being the same power as PS3.

Ask any other Nintendo fan whether they care if Nintendo is graphically inferior to PS4/NexBox and I bet most won't really care that much. Then again third parties will most definatly care! But I don't buy Nintendo consoles for third party games so I could give a flying crap what they think lol!

That's the problem right there.  Do you want to lag behind the other consoles playing only ports and half-assed excuses for games, or do you want to play some MGS, GTA and other awesome franchises.  The wii being technically inferior to the competition this gen has condemned unintendo fans to playing a cart load of sub-par games.  I'll buy the next nintendo console even if it's just 2 wiis taped together(wink, wink), because the reason i play games is to play nintendo games.  Be this as it may, the gap between nintendo and its competition this generation is too abyssmal to be over looked, and I for one most definetly hope next gen will be diferent.

I agree.

Even though Nintendo is #1 for me, I think they could've at least tried to put a powerful processor in there. The gap, as you say,  is too large. Next gen I want to see some quality 3rd party games and not just shovelware.

But why should we assume that more power would equal higher-quality third party games?  That wasn't really the case for GameCube which didn't get MGS or GTA.  It got better multi-platform releases than Wii, but that's not saying much.

Gonna have to agree there. The fact that the Gamecube had pretty much the same install base as the Xbox, and we didn't get GTA, is pitiful. I mean, yeah let's try to get 3rd party support....but we can't rely on them (outside Japanese 3rd parties). We're going to need to have more software diversification outside of the core franchises so that we're self-sustaining.

There were no multiplats last gen people.  Sony had there games, Nintendo had theirs and so did Microsoft.  MS got some third party franchises, such as prince of persia, GTA, the EA sports games, ect... exclusivley because they coughed up a serious amount of cash for them.  This gen is the multiplat gen.  Sony has lost its vice grip on the industry and is trailing behind Ninty and MS.  So what happens?  the third parties start developing for MS aswell instead of developing exclusivley for Sony.  Be this as it may, ninty gets left out due to its inferior software.When the Wii came out, there was no way of knowing this would happen.  MS gambled, and went head on against Sony, and Xbox owners are now enjoying that success.  I can't blame nintendo for what they did, nor is it exclusivley thier fault.  There are too many factors involved to go around pointing fingers, but i think that a Nintendo console with better hardware will definetly lead to better software.  Nintendos war with third parties has been going on for over a decade now anyway.

Around the Network
Sempuukyaku said:
couchmonkey said:
Dr.Grass said:
EL_PATRAS said:
Joelcool7 said:
EL_PATRAS said:

I agree.

If Wii was capable of outputting 720P then it sure as hell would've got more ports from PS360.

Gamecube was in a unique situation. Oh, and MGS did turn up on GC (sort of).

I see the next console going HD, and also something truly unique that separates itself from Sony and Microsoft. That where I believe Nintendo will go next. The vitality sensor might be that next step. They want the player to feel the game. I cant wait to see where they go next.

There is noway in hell that Nintendo's next console won't at least do 720P, they are not idiots.

HDVR glasses > HD

Head tracking FTW!!!

Gaming make me feel GOOD!

sad to say it, but this is probably the most popular topic i ever started.

it's interesting reading all the opinions, keep em coming!

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.