By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy Japan Sale Confusion

Thats what I'm saying cringer8. Not sure who that was addressed to, but you are correct.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network
loadedstatement said:

For reference, Sunshine sold 280,000 in its first week on sale back on the system that has now only just sold over four million. Now, with the Wii at about 3.7 million, Super Mario Galaxy has sold about 130,000 on its first day! New Super Mario Bros. whipped through 900,000 units in its first week on DS last year though.

@shams If this is true, then I am completely wrong. And everyone can go back to being just as disappointed in the sales figures. But these predictions are for the week ending november 4 (which only includes 3 days of SMG). They are not looking forward to this week's sales. See what I mean?

Oh sure - my apologies, I see what you mean now.

I still don't think it matters - most games launch around the same point of the week, and have similar sales curves. If they were different, you would see more games selling as much in week#2 as they do in week#1 - and that never happens.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Shams, another good point. That is also very true. Truthfully, Im not sure what is correct. Maybe we need ioi or TheSource to come sort things out for us. Whether it is projected week one sales (extending through Nov 4 despite the title, or just up until Nov 4th).

Digg VGChartz!

I personally think this 300k doesn't tell us anything, just a tried and tested formula of games normally sell 200 - 250% of first day sales in it's first week so they've applied it here.

Those people that think they're perfect give a bad reputation to us who are... 

"With the DS, it's fair to say that Nintendo stepped out of the technical race and went for a feature differentiation with the touch screen, but I fear that it won't have a lasting impact beyond that of a gimmick - so the long-lasting appeal of the platform is at peril as a direct result of that." - Phil Harrison, Sony

preliminary sales aren't based on data as far as i know, they are guesses based on sales trends and extrapolating data. Many times the prelim numbers are way off to be honest. I think it's gonna be similar to that data though, it's gonna have a similar curve to a game like MP8. Many games will sell 75% of first week sales in the first day, but mario is gonna be different. If you remember that Crisis Core outsold pokemon on first day, then pokemon outsold Crisis core by something like 150k on first week sales. A game selling 130k then ending the week at 300k doesn't happen with many games. If you expect something more than 350k you're gonna be dissapointed.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

Check the numbers I put up in this thread. 

Thanks for clearing all of that up, ioi. I understand now.

Digg VGChartz!

"1. Japanese sales run from Monday - Sunday. This is the "week" of sales. New games normally launch on a Thursday so every week all the new titles tend to have FOUR (not 3) days of sales compared to 7 days for the old games. This is normal every week."

does the thursday release mean shipping date like with the USA games thing (official release is usually the day before shops put it on shelves) or is it different in Japan.

Every game comes out on thursdays in Japan, it's like Tuesdays in America. When we do the preliminary Japanese sales and the official Japanese sales for the week, they are the same for all games. Every game that comes out on thursday has three (or four) days until the data is complete. So I don't see the point in this thread because this is the same for all games.

every single game in Japan comes out on a thursday, making it FOUR days of sales. So we take this as first week sales just like every other game so we can make comparisons between games.