By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-Enix to announce new project soon.

huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
Well, one will likely be revealed when KH BBS releases.

KH3 PS3 exclusive?

Oh, and almost forgot... Teh remake!

KH's biggest market (by a HUGE margin) is America.  If KH3 is HD, there's no way it won't be multiplatform (PS3+360).  

Maybe.

The same could then be said of any exclusive 3rd party PS3 game. Just because the other consoles have larger sales(WW or region) doesn't necessarily mean that they have to have the game.

There could be a deal/contract with Sony to produce the 3 main games on Sony platforms. And with Nomura directing, we know his preferable platforms are Sony platforms...

Er, exactly how many western focused PS3 exclusives have come out of Japan?  Much less multimillion selling exclusives that move 50%+ of their sales in the US alone?  I honestly can't think of anything comparable to what a PS3 only KH3 would be?

Also, I seriously doubt any pre-existing Sony deals, and FFXIII's already proven how well those hold anyway.  With Disney looming over their shoulder, seems doubly unlikely...

So? The point still stands. Just because the PS3 isn't the top seller in NA doesn't mean it can't have exclusives that go well with that market. And as it has been shown, SE's current ventures on the 360 haven't been exactly the best sellers, in Japan or America.

You can doubt them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist (it doesn't mean they do either... but there is a chance).

And as for Disney... They have a pretty good partnership with Sony. Be it ranging from Hannah Montana PSP bundles to Pirates DLC for LBP.

Well no, the point doesn't still stand.  No major JP games which are western focused have been PS3 exclusive.  And Square Enix specifically is moving more and more towards multiplatform development.  And there's no even hint of any Sony deals in place for the KH series.  All things considered, KH3 actually ending up PS3 exclusive seems like one of the least likely options for the game.  The only platform selection less likely imo is 360 exclusive.

And if you really want to bring Disney into it, why isn't Epic Mickey a PS3 exclusive then?  Hell, why isn't it on PS3 at all?

What about MGS4?

MGS4 got the near ultimate moneyhat and has been in development since before the gen even started.  And the next HD MGS has still gone multiplatform.

It is a good example though, and it did slip my mind.  I don't think Sony's going to pony up like that again for KH3 though, when they didn't for FFXIII.

If they could moneyhat Konami for MGS4 exclusivity, then how come they didn't do the same for other franchises?

Well, they're kind of losing megatons of cash constantly... maybe they couldn't afford it or justify the loss needed?

They already were losing cash at the time, and I think they'd know better than to get into a bid war with M$. There's more to it than just pure moneyhatting. From what I hear, one reason to keep it exclusive is because porting costs were too high. Another being that Kojima probably designed the engine strictly for PS3 hardware. The first reason would make sense in this regard.

At the end of the day, it's all theories at this point.

Yeah, I don't doubt conversion issues being a factor.  PS3 to 360 ports are supposed to be easier than the reverse though.  And really, I find it hard to believe the costs of porting wouldn't have been made back by a 360 release, it'd probably have done at least a million worldwide (so long as it didn't launch directly against Splinter Cell).  Maybe they didn't want to use the manpower for it though, and after MGS2S/TTS, I wouldn't blame Kojima if he didn't want to outsource.

It's all conjecture really, but it's fun to guess at.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

What about MGS4?

MGS4 got the near ultimate moneyhat and has been in development since before the gen even started.  And the next HD MGS has still gone multiplatform.

It is a good example though, and it did slip my mind.  I don't think Sony's going to pony up like that again for KH3 though, when they didn't for FFXIII.

Can you really prove that Sony moneyhatted Konami for the game?

And according to the rumors, they have actually did sign a contract with SE for FF13, it' just that MS payed SE a lot to break that contract.

And, the next MGS is going to be on PSP, there isn't any new announced MGS for HD consoles (treating rising like a new MGS is like treating DMC as a new RE).

Well no, no one can really prove that.  Kojima did give out the reasoning that their engine was PS3 only though, but Rising sort of casts doubt on any inability to reasonably do MGS4 on 360.  Likewise, Wada has stated that FFXIII 360 was due to wanting more western sales to offset the likely Japanese decline.  I don't doubt contracts were signed in both cases, or that a Microsoft cash infusion changed minds.

Peace Walker is canonically next in line from what I understand, but everything so far makes the game look more like fanservice than anything.  Rising is a promised departure, but it's still quite literally a "Metal Gear Solid" game.

I'm confused though, if there was a contract for FFXIII PS3 exclusivity, wouldn't the multiplat move be a violation, regardless of the money they were paid? Or was there a loophole?

I seriously am dubious that such a contract even existed. Probably because Sony execs thought they stole all third party support from other consoles.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

KH3 PS3 exclusive?

KH's biggest market (by a HUGE margin) is America.  If KH3 is HD, there's no way it won't be multiplatform (PS3+360).  

Maybe.

The same could then be said of any exclusive 3rd party PS3 game. Just because the other consoles have larger sales(WW or region) doesn't necessarily mean that they have to have the game.

There could be a deal/contract with Sony to produce the 3 main games on Sony platforms. And with Nomura directing, we know his preferable platforms are Sony platforms...

Er, exactly how many western focused PS3 exclusives have come out of Japan?  Much less multimillion selling exclusives that move 50%+ of their sales in the US alone?  I honestly can't think of anything comparable to what a PS3 only KH3 would be?

Also, I seriously doubt any pre-existing Sony deals, and FFXIII's already proven how well those hold anyway.  With Disney looming over their shoulder, seems doubly unlikely...

So? The point still stands. Just because the PS3 isn't the top seller in NA doesn't mean it can't have exclusives that go well with that market. And as it has been shown, SE's current ventures on the 360 haven't been exactly the best sellers, in Japan or America.

You can doubt them, but that doesn't mean they don't exist (it doesn't mean they do either... but there is a chance).

And as for Disney... They have a pretty good partnership with Sony. Be it ranging from Hannah Montana PSP bundles to Pirates DLC for LBP.

Well no, the point doesn't still stand.  No major JP games which are western focused have been PS3 exclusive.  And Square Enix specifically is moving more and more towards multiplatform development.  And there's no even hint of any Sony deals in place for the KH series.  All things considered, KH3 actually ending up PS3 exclusive seems like one of the least likely options for the game.  The only platform selection less likely imo is 360 exclusive.

And if you really want to bring Disney into it, why isn't Epic Mickey a PS3 exclusive then?  Hell, why isn't it on PS3 at all?

Like i said, "So?". That doesn't mean KH3 wont be...

And no they are not. DQIX is a DS exclusive. DQ X is a Wii exclusive. FFv13 is a PS3 Exclusive. KH BBS is a PSP exclusive. Agito13 is a PSP exclusive. SO4 was a 360 exclusive until it sold bad.

You brought Disney into it. And as for why it is a Wii exclusive? http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176633

"Well, think about it. Would you really want to tackle convincing Halo or Grand Theft Auto players that they want to be Mickey Mouse?"

"Would you really want to do that? In terms of finding a congenial audience, let's go for a platform that's known for Mario and Link and now Sonic."

"Honestly, with the unit sales on the hardware, it was kind of a lucky happenstance. We made the call to go to the Wii long before it was clear that the Wii was going to be, at least for now, the best-selling platform,"

They're moving multiplatform for HD. SO4 and FFXIII went multi.  Last Remnant and Batman AA were multi.  Supreme Commander 2, Nier, Front Mission Evolved, K&L2 and FFXIV are multi.  The only actual SE HD exclusives are (1) a Microsoft IP and (2) a FF spinoff.  Why would they ten go exclusive for their #3 series on one of the HD platforms? 

And your Disney quote really isn't exactly helping matters.  Which audience has more likely crossover with KH, Halo/GTA or Mario/Zelda/Sonic?  Going off that, where do you think Disney wants KH3?

Versus shows you that HD exclusives from them are still possible, and happening. So there is no reason why KH3 can't be.

Well i can also use that aginst you... The Wii audience isn't exactly the one for the Final Fantasy series, is it? Out of the 3 FF games released on Wii... Not one of them has broke 200k WW. These days... When people think Final Fantasy, they think PlayStation (have done for close to 10 years now). And if you like it or not, the FF characters are a big part of the game.

Disney would likely prefer the game to be on Wii, due to the audience it attracts. But then, with Nomura being the Director... He would call the shots on where he wants it, wont he? Correct me if im wrong. And PS3 has shown it can sell games well, some of them just as well(or better) as the PS2 could... Along with whatever partnership Sony and Disney have, and Nomura knowing the PS3 hardware...

I think Versus is a litmus test, and I don't doubt Normua's intent is to pave the way for KH3.  Honestly though, after FFXIII and SO4, Versus going multi wouldn't be at all surprising either.

The "Final Fantasy Series" hasn't released on Wii.  Unless you're thinking the Virtual Console.  If we're talking about low tier Final Fantasy spinoffs (and not the series) though, I seriously doubt a straight DS port, a Chocobo roguelike or a mingame focused non-RPG would've sold any better on PS3.  Meanwhile, I wonder if FFXIII could've matched PS2 sales were it a Wii game?  It's not like any PlayStation association has prevented the DS FF3-4 from being million sellers... none of the PS1 or PSP FF series rereleases managed that.

Disney (as the IP holder) would have ultimate say.  If PS3 could ensure PS2 level sales for KH3, I doubt they'd care.  That's a pretty big if though, and something that (currently) looks less likely than not.

Spinoffs are the series, but aren't the main series. Doesn't matter what excuses you have for them selling poorly, they are FF games... That sold poor. Whereas come March, the FF fanbase will mostly be on PS3. 

And we have no idea at all how it would have sold. As with FF13 being announced for Wii from the start of the gen, the main JRPG fanbase around the world would VERY likely be fully on Wii now, and we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Thanks, i didn't know they owned the KH IP. And PS3 can. It has proven itself with the big games that it is capable of moving good numbers. KH series is likely a 4m high series now... And PS3 is more than capable of moving them numbers. But if we are asking that of PS3... How about 3rd party efforts on Wii, when comparing to PS2? 

KH3? FFXV for Wii : p

huaxiong90 said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

What about MGS4?

And according to the rumors, they have actually did sign a contract with SE for FF13, it' just that MS payed SE a lot to break that contract.

And, the next MGS is going to be on PSP, there isn't any new announced MGS for HD consoles (treating rising like a new MGS is like treating DMC as a new RE).

Well no, no one can really prove that.  Kojima did give out the reasoning that their engine was PS3 only though, but Rising sort of casts doubt on any inability to reasonably do MGS4 on 360.  Likewise, Wada has stated that FFXIII 360 was due to wanting more western sales to offset the likely Japanese decline.  I don't doubt contracts were signed in both cases, or that a Microsoft cash infusion changed minds.

Peace Walker is canonically next in line from what I understand, but everything so far makes the game look more like fanservice than anything.  Rising is a promised departure, but it's still quite literally a "Metal Gear Solid" game.

I'm confused though, if there was a contract for FFXIII PS3 exclusivity, wouldn't the multiplat move be a violation, regardless of the money they were paid? Or was there a loophole?

I seriously am dubious that such a contract even existed. Probably because Sony execs thought they stole all third party support from other consoles.

Clauses or loopholes probably?  Maybe SE even paid their way out of any contract?  Maybe the JP exlcusive was a settlement?  Who knows?

Then again, JP publishers seem to just get out of exclusives so easily the past few years, maybe literal signed contracts aren't as frequent as they are in the west?

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:
jarrod said:
Carl2291 said:

KH3 PS3 exclusive?

Maybe.

Like i said, "So?". That doesn't mean KH3 wont be...

And no they are not. DQIX is a DS exclusive. DQ X is a Wii exclusive. FFv13 is a PS3 Exclusive. KH BBS is a PSP exclusive. Agito13 is a PSP exclusive. SO4 was a 360 exclusive until it sold bad.

You brought Disney into it. And as for why it is a Wii exclusive? http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176633

"Well, think about it. Would you really want to tackle convincing Halo or Grand Theft Auto players that they want to be Mickey Mouse?"

"Would you really want to do that? In terms of finding a congenial audience, let's go for a platform that's known for Mario and Link and now Sonic."

"Honestly, with the unit sales on the hardware, it was kind of a lucky happenstance. We made the call to go to the Wii long before it was clear that the Wii was going to be, at least for now, the best-selling platform,"

They're moving multiplatform for HD. SO4 and FFXIII went multi.  Last Remnant and Batman AA were multi.  Supreme Commander 2, Nier, Front Mission Evolved, K&L2 and FFXIV are multi.  The only actual SE HD exclusives are (1) a Microsoft IP and (2) a FF spinoff.  Why would they ten go exclusive for their #3 series on one of the HD platforms? 

And your Disney quote really isn't exactly helping matters.  Which audience has more likely crossover with KH, Halo/GTA or Mario/Zelda/Sonic?  Going off that, where do you think Disney wants KH3?

Versus shows you that HD exclusives from them are still possible, and happening. So there is no reason why KH3 can't be.

Well i can also use that aginst you... The Wii audience isn't exactly the one for the Final Fantasy series, is it? Out of the 3 FF games released on Wii... Not one of them has broke 200k WW. These days... When people think Final Fantasy, they think PlayStation (have done for close to 10 years now). And if you like it or not, the FF characters are a big part of the game.

Disney would likely prefer the game to be on Wii, due to the audience it attracts. But then, with Nomura being the Director... He would call the shots on where he wants it, wont he? Correct me if im wrong. And PS3 has shown it can sell games well, some of them just as well(or better) as the PS2 could... Along with whatever partnership Sony and Disney have, and Nomura knowing the PS3 hardware...

I think Versus is a litmus test, and I don't doubt Normua's intent is to pave the way for KH3.  Honestly though, after FFXIII and SO4, Versus going multi wouldn't be at all surprising either.

The "Final Fantasy Series" hasn't released on Wii.  Unless you're thinking the Virtual Console.  If we're talking about low tier Final Fantasy spinoffs (and not the series) though, I seriously doubt a straight DS port, a Chocobo roguelike or a mingame focused non-RPG would've sold any better on PS3.  Meanwhile, I wonder if FFXIII could've matched PS2 sales were it a Wii game?  It's not like any PlayStation association has prevented the DS FF3-4 from being million sellers... none of the PS1 or PSP FF series rereleases managed that.

Disney (as the IP holder) would have ultimate say.  If PS3 could ensure PS2 level sales for KH3, I doubt they'd care.  That's a pretty big if though, and something that (currently) looks less likely than not.

Spinoffs are the series, but aren't the main series. Doesn't matter what excuses you have for them selling poorly, they are FF games... That sold poor. Whereas come March, the FF fanbase will mostly be on PS3. 

And we have no idea at all how it would have sold. As with FF13 being announced for Wii from the start of the gen, the main JRPG fanbase around the world would VERY likely be fully on Wii now, and we wouldn't even be discussing this.

Thanks, i didn't know they owned the KH IP. And PS3 can. It has proven itself with the big games that it is capable of moving good numbers. KH series is likely a 4m high series now... And PS3 is more than capable of moving them numbers. But if we are asking that of PS3... How about 3rd party efforts on Wii, when comparing to PS2? 

No, they're really not.  When you say "Final Fantasy Series" stuff like Crystal Bearers or Chocobo Dungeon isn't what springs to mind.  They're part of the "Final Fantasy Franchise" but not the "Final Fantasy Series".  They sold poor, but they'd have sold poor regardless of platform.  Hell, they'd probably have sold worse as PS3 exclusives.

For Wii SE efforts compared to PS2 last gen, DQ Swords outsold all their PS2 DQ spinoffs.  Their FF spinoffs did horribly though, well below their few PS2 spinoffs but then those were all tied directly to a core FF (FFX-2, DoC).  It's a pretty mixed result, but that likely reflects SE's mixed efforts.  Had Wii gotten say Crisis Core instead of Chocobo Dungeon, I think it'd have done really really well. 

jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

What about MGS4?

...Again, why does it cast doubts?

It uses an entirely different engine, there's a completely different team working on the game (the MGS4 team works on PW), and... so what if it's, literaly, a "Metal Gear Solid" game, FFCC:TCB is, literaly, a FF game, but it isn't really a FF game right? So is Rising, a "Lightning Bolt Action" game (AKA not a Tactical Espionage Action game), and maybe not even "A Hideo Kojima game", not going to be a real MGS on HD consoles any time soon.

Bet with Dr.A.Peter.Nintendo that Super Mario Galaxy 2 won't sell 15 million copies up to six months after it's release, the winner will get Avatar control for a week and signature control for a month.

RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:
jarrod said:
RageBot said:

What about MGS4?

...Again, why does it cast doubts?

It uses an entirely different engine, there's a completely different team working on the game (the MGS4 team works on PW), and... so what if it's, literaly, a "Metal Gear Solid" game, FFCC:TCB is, literaly, a FF game, but it isn't really a FF game right? So is Rising, a "Lightning Bolt Action" game (AKA not a Tactical Espionage Action game), and maybe not even "A Hideo Kojima game", not going to be a real MGS on HD consoles any time soon.

Crystal Bearers is a "real Final Fantasy game", though it almost wasn't (Kawazu wanted to drop "Final Fantasy" from the title).  It's not in the "Final Fantasy series" though.  I guess you could make the same argument for MGS Rising, though I think we'd have to wait for more information before staking that claim.  It's still a "real Metal Gear game" though.

Soriku said:
Also, why would Versus "pave the way" for KH3? Versus and KH are completely different games in focus, story, themes, etc. and isn't run by Disney in the background.

If it does well enough, I just suspect Nomura would use it to push KH3 as a PS3 game to his bosses and Disney since it's so similar in terms of game design.  I also think it's being used to delay KH3, given it's being developed by the core KH team.

I agree with you that this isn't "KH3" though.  I suspect it'll be another FFXIII spinoff, another KH spinoff or a TWEWY sequel.

Can't we all just be friends?!?! :'(