By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gamestop pressuring to buy used?

I never really noticed this before but the last few times I went to Gamestop everytime I want to buy new they stop me and try to argue with me to buy used. They swindled me into buying a card with them last month because they told me my sales total for that day would be lower but it wasn't.

I bought Uncharted 1 today and picked up the new copy.The guy behind the desk said they have a used copy, not only is it cheaper but you can also turn it back in for a full refund under 7 days and the gamestop card makes it even cheaper. I said I would still like to get it new. He went off on some tangent that new isn't better.

Should I just buy used games? I usually feel guilty buying used but I can't avoid Gamestops and don't want to argue with them everytime I buy a game.

Around the Network

buy them new
usually used games cost $5 less ad trust me is not worth it
plus they ripped off the poor customers u trade in they're games
so dont give em ur money

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

Yes, they do. Which is why I will feast on Gamestop's corpse when digital distribution takes over.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

It gives Gamestop money, new copies profits go to things such as developers and publishers and because it's used the money goes straight to Gamestop because it's already been "sold". That's why used games hurt developers because the store makes money while they don't.

19:44:34 Skeezer METAL GEAR ONLINE
19:44:36 Skeezer FAILURE
19:44:51 ABadClown You're right!
19:44:55 ABadClown Hur hur hur
19:45:01 Skeezer i meant
19:45:04 Skeezer YOU ARE A FAILKURE
19:45:08 Skeezer FAILURE*

u shouldn't let anyone tell u how to spend ur money

Around the Network

Don't let them make you feel bad.  Just tell them something like, "The consumer is always right and I don't want to buy used."  If that doesn't work, tell them you'll complain to their manager or take your business elsewhere.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

If you buy used Gamestop is getting full profit. When you bought Uncharted new that means Sony and Naughty Dog got profit. Would you rather support Gamestop or Naughty Dog?

Tell them you'd rather support the developer that worked hard to get you this game instead of the giant corporation that ripped someone else off to make big bucks off of it.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Just take your business elsewhere

I buy games I really want new and all other games second hand usually as a 2 for offer to get an even greater saving.

I like this approach it saves me money and rewards the Devs who produce the quality games I want to play.

For Instance Batman AA and Dead Space bought both new ( I like these games)
Mirrors Edge and Assasins Creed bought Preowned 2 for 30 GBP (Not so fussed but fun to play)

They also want to push used games because a used game sitting on their shelves has no security and is losing value. A New game sitting on the shelve they could possibly return for a refund or a credit from the distributor/manufacturer. Also used games generally have a better profit margin than New games for Gamestop, but the only downside for them is if the game sits on the shelf for too long then it will lose value over time. Hence why they are so urgent to sell used games.