By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games don't need stories.

Soriku said:
Pyro as Bill said:
Replayability > Music >>>>>> Graphics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Story

Who plays a game for it's story? The stories in games make horror B-movies look like Oscar nominees.

Are you sure it's because you haven't played a game with a good story?

For me story is important, but not always absolutely necessary. A good story helps me gets sucked into the game, the characters, the music that goes along with it, and the gameplay (because beating the crap out of characters that are dicks in story is nice when you have good gameplay to go along.)

I don't play RPGs so that may be why.

Half Life 2, kill the enemies, save the world. Zelda OoT-TP, kill Ganon, save Hyrule. I played Prototype earlier this year, horrible story. In some cases the heavy focus on story hurts the game, Prototype. In others it seemed to help a mediocre game, Bioshock. Advance Wars, I hated all the story crap but it's still a great game.

My most played game this gen has no background story whatsoever, Team Fortress 2. I still don't know why Red team fights Blu so much and I don't care.

TF2, Portal, any fighting game, NSMB, Mario Kart, Wii Sports, Braid, Plants v Zombies, Left 4 Dead, World of Goo, the list is endless.

Games do not need stories. Text adventures and their modern day CGI versions do.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Portal and Braid both had fantastic stories that helped make them great games. Just because they don't sit you down and force you to read the story doesn't mean it doesn't exist and both of these games are helped immensely by their stories.

@Pyro

Sounds to me like you're losing a lot by dismissing the narrative in games like HL2 and Portal.

Even every great book can be stripped down to a ridiculous skeleton of a plot. The Odyssey is about a guy having nautical adventures to get back home. The Road is about a guy surviving with his son in a post-apocalyptic world. Pale Fire is (probably) about a mad man stalking a writer. Moby Dick is about a mutilated man wanting his revenge on a whale. How silly is that?

That's not all there is to narrative in books and the same happens in games. A lot of it is how exposition, immersion, interactivity is handled as it intertwines with the gameplay - and great games can do it wonderfully. Again, look at HL2, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Portal.

Not all games require a story. Not all games require music, or colour, or voice acting, or 3d graphics. Saying that no game needs any of these things sounds off, and very limiting.

PS: text adventures are games, exactly like textual MUDs that predated graphical MMORPGs. They are interactive experiences with goals, rules, an outcome. Why exactly shouldn't they be considered a game?

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

The humour in Portal definitely added to the game. GLADOS was hilarious as is every character in Team Fortress 2. Still doesn't need a story though.

I've only played a couple of hours of Braid but I can't say I've even noticed a story, just some dinosaur who tells me the princess is in another castle. Awesome music though, nice artstyle too.

Story might make a good game great but I've yet to see it happen. I see cutscenes and dialogue hurt games more often than help them.

@werekitten

Haha, you're not far wrong. I missed the boring monolog in HL2 that ended with the instructions for the rocket launcher because I didn't want to stand around for 5 minutes listening to someone bleat on about stuff I didn't care about. I worked it out for myself eventually though.

Around the Network

Yes or else they get very boring.

Crystalchild said:
As for me: No Story, no Motivation to play a game.
(At least i want to know why i do what i do in Games).

^This for the most part.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Pristine20 said:
Crystalchild said:

^This for the most part.

This makes me cry.

Sounds to me like you need to start drinking decaf.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Crystalchild said:

The same here