By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Rage Against The Machine GETS Xmas Number One

highwaystar101 said:
Seece said:
highwaystar101 said:
Seece said:
Kantor said:
When did everybody start hating The X Factor, exactly?

20 million watched the X factor final, about 100k people bought RATM in protest against x factor (sold 500k or so but then some people bought about 20 copies)

So I would say the vast majority like x factor

No they didn't. UK chart rules are that if someone is found downloading or buying multiple copies of the same song then those sales are disqualified. If someone bought 5+ copies of RATM, then the copies should have been disqualified. I bought 2 and that was pushing it.

And if you want to talk ratios 20,000,000 watched the X-factor final and 450,000 copies of the climb sold, that's a ratio of (people watching to singles sold) 44.4 to 1.

RATM on the other hand had a group of 1,000,000 people and 500,000 singles sold. Let's say (rather generously) that each person in the group bought 5 copies so that those 500,000 are brought down to 100,000 people who have downloaded, that still gives a ratio of 10:1.

44.4:1 compared to 10:1*. These figures show that RATM fans are much more dedicated to their cause, RATM fans want the music industry to change, a lot of them are quite passionate about their music.

Meh, I don't care. 

(*And these figures are distorted imo because I believe the singles per person for RATM are maybe 2 or perhaps 3 at best.)

Nice math! but alas wasted on me, none of it proves people hate the X factor, yeah I was talking about the show not joe. I'm a prime example.

Then it wasn't wasted on you in that case. What I did was show that as a group RATM fans are over four times more passionate about their music that X factor viewers, if choose to see it reflected in sales figures.

The notion that they are more passionate about their music justifies this campaign to get Killing In The name to number one, to me anyway.

This whole campaign came about through RATM fans feeling as though they have been neglected by the music industry in favour of the "X factor" and "Britain's got talent" style music. What they have done this week is show that they still pack a lot of punch as an audience and they should still be respected (and not neglected) as a result.

I really don't understand the campaign, it reeks of snobby music fans wanting to shove it in others faces, pop music is just that (pop)ular music ... that's what the chart consists of because that's what people buy, why do other care whats at the top of the chart?? It's a chart I bet many RATM fans don't even give a fuck about.

Around the Network

This is all nonsense to me.

I don't like those kinds of protest groups. huh

And it's all so meaningless in this case.

Why does it all matter so much?

/rant ahah

Seece said:
highwaystar101 said:
Seece said:

Nice math! but alas wasted on me, none of it proves people hate the X factor, yeah I was talking about the show not joe. I'm a prime example.

Then it wasn't wasted on you in that case. What I did was show that as a group RATM fans are over four times more passionate about their music that X factor viewers, if choose to see it reflected in sales figures.

The notion that they are more passionate about their music justifies this campaign to get Killing In The name to number one, to me anyway.

This whole campaign came about through RATM fans feeling as though they have been neglected by the music industry in favour of the "X factor" and "Britain's got talent" style music. What they have done this week is show that they still pack a lot of punch as an audience and they should still be respected (and not neglected) as a result.

I really don't understand the campaign, it reeks of snobby music fans wanting to shove it in others faces, pop music is just that (pop)ular music ... that's what the chart consists of because that's what people buy, why do other care whats at the top of the chart?? It's a chart I bet many RATM fans don't even give a fuck about.

I don't think it's snobby music fans wanting to rub anyones nose in anything. They are music fans that feel as though the music they listen to is slowly being more and more neglected by record companies who are focused pandering to a culture which goes crazy over some singer, not because they are talented, but because they have a sellable image or have been on TV for a few weeks.

On a personal note; I think Jamie should have won X factor this year. I saw him a few times and I always felt as though he really loved all music, not just his own style (which is what I felt about Joe). To me Jamie had many of the qualities of what makes a good musician, I hope his career gets going.

I'm happy with the result tonight although I hope people don't get carried away with it and start to force a song to the top of the charts all the time as they won't be any different to Simon Cowell. Hopefully, it's at least got across a message that many people are disillusioned with the state of music today. Although some people dislike the RATM song it was the perfect song for people to rally behind for what were a number of different reasons.

Some people were sick of Christmas number 1 being decided before any singles were even released, others simply don't like how Cowell controlls much of the charts but personally I bought the song as I don't like the state modern music is in. Pop music has it's place and I'm not against it existing in the charts but I am worried at the lack of real 'artists' around, people who actually write songs about things that matter and have an effect on you. I honestly can't think of any current acts who will ever be remembered as great song writters like Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen ect.

Another thing this campaign has highlighted is the lazy journalism standards we have here. I can't count how many times it was reported that the campaign was stupid as it would make Cowell richer as both acts were owned by Sony. One, that was never the point anyway and two, I never knew Cowell was CEO of Sony Corp! The acts were both under different labels attached to Sony, Simon Cowell has nothing to do with Epic Records (RATM). I also saw numerous reports stating that RATM were the ones starting the campaign which anyone with access to the internet knows isn't true.

Sorry for the long post (if you finished reading it all )

highwaystar101 said:
Seece said:
highwaystar101 said:
Seece said:

I don't think it's snobby music fans wanting to rub anyones nose in anything. They are music fans that feel as though the music they listen to is slowly being more and more neglected by record companies who are focused pandering to a culture which goes crazy over some singer, not because they are talented, but because they have a sellable image or have been on TV for a few weeks.

On a personal note; I think Jamie should have won X factor this year. I saw him a few times and I always felt as though he really loved all music, not just his own style (which is what I felt about Joe). To me Jamie had many of the qualities of what makes a good musician, I hope his career gets going.

Completely agree with your first paragraph, that's what sold the campaign to me.

On your second paragraph, I have to disagree sir! Danyl was easily the best

Around the Network

so really then, the true no.1 is the no.3 as it had no campaign or TV show to back it

SciFiBoy said:
so really then, the true no.1 is the no.3 as it had no campaign or TV show to back it

well the #3 hit #1 last week

mM

Tbh I prefer Lady Gaga over both Rage and Joe -_-

leo-j said:
SciFiBoy said:

well the #3 hit #1 last week

on merit, its also this weeks no.1, thats my point, the charts should be about what people listen to, not about TV shows or Facebook campaigns

its true, ill still hate the charts, but at least theyre honest and reflect some measure of what people are listening to.

Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:
Seece said:
Carl2291 said:

It was good, that's what it was.

You've been very defensive of him since this entire thing came onto the forums...

But hey, the majority would rather have Rage at number 1.
Hopefully Xfactor gets screwed over again next year too, but that time... With an actual Christmas song

So it was a digg and you proved my point, thanks.

I was in camp RATM when this thing started, then I actually listened to the song and realised how hostile the people (fans) behind it were and became neutral.

in reality, the UK did not stick its fingers up at simon and joe (20 million people watched the final, 1/3 of this entire country.) less than 0.1% of people bought RATM, even then it was multiple purchases from people, I doubt many that bought joes single was because they wanted to beat RATM.

Last line, totally agree, I would love for a true christmas song to be number 1, be it from a unknown band or x factor, not some soppy crap ballad or some angry slitty wrist shite.

So what? All that matters is, he won... And he can gloat about it just as Joe and definately Simon would have done. And it's not like it was a personaly attack at Joe... I mean, the group was together before he was announced the winner.

20m people watched the final, and his single sold ~450k copies... Goes to show you the quality of it is rubbish, again... Just like the past few years (baring Leona, the only talented one from the lot) and Killing isn't exactly what i would call a top quality song either, but id rather listen to it than yet another ballad from some pop star.

Plus, the RatM group has raised over 60k for charity. Can't argue with that!

Simon would have gloated yes, but then simon is an annoying twit. Joe I believe would have been a good man. You're right, I'm one of those people that watches X Factor, but I've never enjoyed any of the winners songs. They flat out suck. Unfortunately though you have to listen to BOTH X factor and RATM.

I'm glad RATM won (ignoring the bitter fans) because maybe next year someone will come out with a great christmas tune and campaign for it to get to #1, I'll be fully behind that.

It's also great all that money went to charity.

Agreed!

and hell froze over

stop quoting so much.

ewww.

<3

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.