By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - I'm about a year late but, MGS4 is one of the best games ever!

disolitude said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
disolitude said:
^
lol...nanobots.

I think its nanomachines. But great point about the story sucking Vlad.

I remember when Liquid Sankes arm took over the whole body of Ocelot and he jsut asumes his personality from that point on. I was like...wtf is this shit?

Id say that story would have been a lot more amusing to watch if it was presented campy or with some humour. But its so damn serious...
Why does Otagon keep crying every 2 minutes? You'd think a guy that has been involved with warfare for god knows how long would actually toughen up and not be such a panzy.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that there was no humour.

What about the smoking, soda drinking, bald, diaper wearing monkey that appears regularly throughout the game? That ridicolous J-pop song on the iPod you can have playing while slitting throats and shooting people in the face. The beauties posing for you when you equip the camera. Otacon telling you to change discs. The whole Pscho Mantis cameo. Shaking the the controller during Rose's codec conversations to jiggle her boobs. The resistance member stopping to take a piss in the fountain while you were tailing him. Planting Playboys to distract guards. Crunching a guys balls after patting him down for items.

I could go on and on. You should really give the game another chance because it sounds like you haven't come close to experiencing all it has to offer.

I dont know...very few of those I found amusing.

The Jpop part was awesome. I liked the little things like that guy having an exclamation mark haircut...but a lot of that stuff, like the bluray shameless plug was not amusing at all. 

I'm aware that I prolly missed some funny story parts as the game is 10 freekin hours long story wise and it was really hard to pay attention to it all...but I don't think I find the gameplay enticing enough to give it another go.  Ima play the PSP one soon though...

I think you just had a bad experience. You couldn't get into the story, you didn't really explore the gameplay in depth. Things like that. I find that sometimes I hate a game the first time round and it takes me a second playthrough to appreciate it. When your opinion differs so greatly to the vast majority it's more likely your fault than the game's.

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:

I think you just had a bad experience. You couldn't get into the story, you didn't really explore the gameplay in depth. Things like that. I find that sometimes I hate a game the first time round and it takes me a second playthrough to appreciate it. When your opinion differs so greatly to the vast majority it's more likely your fault than the game's.

Nah. Differing quality metrics, etc.

I also got into this game late. It was a pretty fun game. I was more impressed by the gameplay than with anything else about it.

disolitude said:
richardhutnik said:
disolitude said:
mario64 said:
@disolitude : then maybe you should go back to Halo 3.

Im sorry...I wasn't aware that only people that liked are allowed to post in this thread.

That is appearing to be the rule at this point.  Only those who claim that MGS4 is one of the best games EVA need to post in here, and criticisms of it are not welcome.  Don't even bring up other games either.

Indeed.

Not even bringing other game series in to the mix...compared to MGS franchis itself. There is no way people would claim MGS4 is the best game eva if they played MGS1,2,3 in that order. If all you played is MGS4 and then you went back to play MGS1...which is 10 years old...then yeah, I could see people going ga-ga over MGS4.

For the rest of us that have played them in order...MGS4 was just a repetition of old gameplay, with unnecessary long cinematics and an emo story that is written for Twilight part 3.

not really i played them in order.

on Ps1 then bought a PS2 and Zone of the Enders (it had MGS2 demo) then got MGS2 , then substance then MGS3 , and yes i played all of them more than enough to understand the whole storyline.

and i LOVED MGS4 it was a very emotional ride, everything i remember from the old games got to an ending , snake got old. .....ect it was just a beautiful game

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

sabby_e17 said:
dahuman said:
I don't really get it, I've had it awhile, but never found it to be the best game ever, don't like cheezy Japanese emo stuff in general I guess, but the game has a lot of the good funny moments and cool flash back stuff from the previous games. B&B is hot.

Actually its far away from the usual japanese type RPG characters if that is what you mean.

in a dramatic sense, not so much character or story, made it worse for me, well, more like funny, but I still have the game so I obviously don't think it's a bad game, just far from the best ever.

Severance said:
dahuman said:
I don't really get it, I've had it awhile, but never found it to be the best game ever, don't like cheezy Japanese emo stuff in general I guess, but the game has a lot of the good funny moments and cool flash back stuff from the previous games. B&B is hot.

its very different from the usual japanese thing. MGS story is very patriotic.

not refering to the story, not the greatest story ever either but it's definitely decent, it's the dramatic part of it, pure JP emoness, if you've ever watched their drama or things as such on TV, they usually give me good laughs. I don't think it's a bad game, it's in my collection.

Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
disolitude said:
^
lol...nanobots.

I remember when Liquid Sankes arm took over the whole body of Ocelot and he jsut asumes his personality from that point on. I was like...wtf is this shit?

Id say that story would have been a lot more amusing to watch if it was presented campy or with some humour. But its so damn serious...
Why does Otagon keep crying every 2 minutes? You'd think a guy that has been involved with warfare for god knows how long would actually toughen up and not be such a panzy.

What about the smoking, soda drinking, bald, diaper wearing monkey that appears regularly throughout the game? That ridicolous J-pop song on the iPod you can have playing while slitting throats and shooting people in the face. The beauties posing for you when you equip the camera. Otacon telling you to change discs. The whole Pscho Mantis cameo. Shaking the the controller during Rose's codec conversations to jiggle her boobs. The resistance member stopping to take a piss in the fountain while you were tailing him. Planting Playboys to distract guards. Crunching a guys balls after patting him down for items.

I could go on and on. You should really give the game another chance because it sounds like you haven't come close to experiencing all it has to offer.

Ok, I will now understand Kojima was doing a spoof of big-budget action films, fitting along the lines of Team America World Police, whose objective is actually to do spoof and satire regarding what it is doing.  It isn't meant to be a serious piece that looks at the nature of war, but has the war economy as a reason to blow stuff up.  It wants to feel like it is great storytelling, and make you feel like you are playing a big budget movie.  And it uses internal logic that is seen as brilliant to those who are fans of the Metal Gear universe, because it is how they want the world to be.  And all the inside jokes are seen as brilliant. 

It is this very uneven tone that has it suspect as great storytelling.  I guess it is a throw back to the game side of things.

By the way, don't pick on Drebin's monkey.  Him and Drebin were two of the best new characters in the game.

Good game, probably in my top 15 or so this gen. It is also the 3rd best MGS game, after 1 and then 2, but better than 3.

CGI-Quality said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
disolitude said:
^
lol...nanobots.

That's usually what I find when people say they didn't like the game, some of them didn't experience it to the fullest.

But see, here's where I think that the game falls down. I usually go through games fairly quickly, and don't dawdle, particularly a game with great cutscenes. I want to get to those cutscenes, I'm a reward kind of guy. If I have to go out of my way to experience a game to it's fullest, then that is a fail in the gameplay department. You shouldn't have to have some kind of inner understanding of the games mechanics to really enjoy it. The game should wrap you in it's mechanics and suck you in and force you to experience it. Really it should. There should always be an option to skip cutscenes, make the game easier for lower skill gamers, but there should never be an option to miss out on the core gameplay experience, which this game does.

disolitude said:
^
lol...nanobots.

He is a techie who likes to hide in a lab somewhere and not get shot at.

CGI-Quality said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
disolitude said:
^
lol...nanobots.

That's usually what I find when people say they didn't like the game, some of them didn't experience it to the fullest.

people won't get that stuff unless they've played 1-3, and a lot of people haven't, and won't be able to experience the MGS inside jokes as much, my favorite one remains the shadow moses MGS 1 flash back, that was pure awesome when I first got to that part and I was like "WTF!?!?! NOWAY!" best game ever though..... I don't even think it's the best MGS, so I can't promote that at all.