By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The difference between the Wii and a Furbie

I keep hearing comparisons of the Wii to other Christmas Crazes. I some ways, they are right. The Wii is riding on a crest of immense popularity and demand. But the fundamental difference between the Wii and a Tickle Me Elmo or Furbie or Tamagotchi is that the Wii is a piece of hardware, that is enjoyed (for the most part) by using additional software. So, the Wii is much more adaptable; if the public appeal dies down for Wii Sports by the end of the year, it is still quite likely Nintendo can come up with another game with just as much mass appeal (like Wii-Nintendogs). I'm not saying Nintendo can sustain the numbers they've been posting, but likening the Wii to one of those other toys doesn't really seem accurate to me. A furbie didn't have the possibility to do anything more than it was designed to do.

Around the Network

I agree, but I think this discussion would be better suited in the "Insomniac's Brian Hastings" thread.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said: I agree, but I think this discussion would be better suited in the "Insomniac's Brian Hastings" thread.
I don't think so. That thread is about Hasting's reasons why PS3 will suceed; 90% of his discussion pertains to the PS3, not the Wii. If I posted my topic in that thread, it could derail the entire thread from it's original topic (something I see happen frequently).

All my Wii does is takes a dump whenever I touch its tummy. It's such a fad. I remember when videogames were considered a fad. I am still waiting for it to fade into obscurity.

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

Then you're going to be waiting an awfully long time mancandy.

Around the Network

nustang70 said: I keep hearing comparisons of the Wii to other Christmas Crazes. I some ways, they are right. The Wii is riding on a crest of immense popularity and demand. But the fundamental difference between the Wii and a Tickle Me Elmo or Furbie or Tamagotchi is that the Wii is a piece of hardware, that is enjoyed (for the most part) by using additional software. So, the Wii is much more adaptable; if the public appeal dies down for Wii Sports by the end of the year, it is still quite likely Nintendo can come up with another game with just as much mass appeal (like Wii-Nintendogs). I'm not saying Nintendo can sustain the numbers they've been posting, but likening the Wii to one of those other toys doesn't really seem accurate to me. A furbie didn't have the possibility to do anything more than it was designed to do.
we all know that Wii is a competitor as well as a complement this gen. You would have atleast 50% of ps3 and x360 owners purchasing a Wii . It might not be graphically impressive but it gives you sheer fun which is the potion that drives sales

RolStoppable said: baxter said: we all know that Wii is a competitor as well as a complement this gen. You would have atleast 50% of ps3 and x360 owners purchasing a Wii . It might not be graphically impressive but it gives you sheer fun which is the potion that drives sales Nice try, baxter. But you will be banned soon. Better luck next time(s). I know you will come back.
Uhm... what did he say there that was so wrong? Am I missing something?

Nobody is crazy enough to accuse me of being sane.

RolStoppable said: vanguardian1 said: RolStoppable said: baxter said: we all know that Wii is a competitor as well as a complement this gen. You would have atleast 50% of ps3 and x360 owners purchasing a Wii . It might not be graphically impressive but it gives you sheer fun which is the potion that drives sales Nice try, baxter. But you will be banned soon. Better luck next time(s). I know you will come back. Uhm... what did he say there that was so wrong? Am I missing something? Indeed you missed something on another thread. Baxter posts in the same way washimul did, someone took notice and since then baxter is trying to make some posts to bring evidence that he isn't the same person as washimul. It's up to the mods to read through the posts of baxter and compare them to washimul's and do the necessary steps. But for me it's clear that baxter is washimul.
yay at last...

Wii = elmo

Can you chop people in half like in No More Heroes or shoot stuff with Elmo? No. So yeah...not the same, but I understand what you mean. Even if people think Nintendo's new controller is gimmicky, it has many uses for all the many games that are coming out...it'll last.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )