By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why did X360 Borderlands outsell PS3 version 3:1 ?

I've got a 360 but I don't like FPS's that much, did I pick the wrong console? I'm more into TPS like GeOW. As for Borderlans, I may want to give a try one day.

Around the Network

^^^ LOL...a little game called Mass Effect 2 might make you reconsider.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

ima go with too busy playing uncharted 2, and call of duty

"even a dead god still dreams"

Miguel_Zorro said:
heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Two reasons:

1. Borderlands is primarily a North American game, based on sales.  It wasn't even released in Japan.  Games that are big in the U.S. but not big elsewhere always have a massive sales difference between consoles. (Since the box has a 2-1 advantage on the PS3 in the 'States). Conversely, games that are big in Japan sell better on the PS3 (Street Fighter 4).

2. Borderlands came out within a week of Uncharted 2.  I follow the industry, and I hadn't even really heard about Borderlands until just before release.  PS3 owners weren't looking at games outside of the Uncharted 2 shadow during that week.  I didn't buy Borderlands, but I'll probably pick it up later.  I was too busy playing Uncharted 2, followed by Modern Warfare 2 a few weeks later.  Borderlands was caught in the middle.  To be honest, I wonder if Borderlands would have received more press and sold better if it were released at the start of December.

Interesting...considering that what's been released this holiday season.

Huh?

1. SFIV was pretty even WW on both consoles. 

2. Both Forza 3 and ODST were on the market for the 360, when this game launched. 

My point is 360 has been psuhing TONS of software this holiday season, so somehow, competition of titles has been a problem.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Two reasons:

1. Borderlands is primarily a North American game, based on sales.  It wasn't even released in Japan.  Games that are big in the U.S. but not big elsewhere always have a massive sales difference between consoles. (Since the box has a 2-1 advantage on the PS3 in the 'States). Conversely, games that are big in Japan sell better on the PS3 (Street Fighter 4).

2. Borderlands came out within a week of Uncharted 2.  I follow the industry, and I hadn't even really heard about Borderlands until just before release.  PS3 owners weren't looking at games outside of the Uncharted 2 shadow during that week.  I didn't buy Borderlands, but I'll probably pick it up later.  I was too busy playing Uncharted 2, followed by Modern Warfare 2 a few weeks later.  Borderlands was caught in the middle.  To be honest, I wonder if Borderlands would have received more press and sold better if it were released at the start of December.

Huh?

2. Both Forza 3 and ODST were on the market for the 360, when this game launched. 

My point is 360 has been psuhing TONS of software this holiday season, so somehow, competition of titles has been a problem.

1/ if you consider the ratio user baser, it goes in favor of Miguel

2/ FM3 is not shooter and ODST/FM3 didnt launch 1 week away from the GOTY U2 ... 

Time to Work !

Around the Network

dunno why ppl havent picked up borderlands on ps3, i have it and its a blast in coop, very good single player also

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Uncharted 2 pretty much killed any hopes of Borderlands having a strong launch on the PS3.

I see Inferno ending up in the exact same boat compared to the Xbox version since PS3 owners will all be buying GoWIII instead.

The only reason I picked up Borderlands for the PS3 a couple weeks back (which was in the shrink wrap until this weekend) was that it was on sale at the time even though I had no intention of immediately playing it (Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2).

libellule said:
heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Two reasons:

Huh?

2/ FM3 is not shooter and ODST/FM3 didnt launch 1 week away from the GOTY U2 ... 

1/ Yeah, if you look at a title in absolute terms on a global basis, but certian games do better in certian regions...oh like Borderlands selling 3-to-1 on the 360, even tho it doesn't have a 3-to-1 ratio WW.  But Even if this game was released in Japan, it wouldn' effect the ratio much, given that Japanese aren't into FPS.

2/ You're right, Forza didn't launch 1 week away...it launched the SAME week.  As for ODST, it launched 5 weeks earlier, but was still a major seller on the 360 when Borderlands launched.  Even looking at the current charts, you've also got L4D2 doing gangbuster on the 360, so one can hardly point to UC2 competition, given all the titles selling so well on the 360. 

heruamon said:
libellule said:
heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:
heruamon said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

Two reasons:

Huh?

1/ Yeah, if you look at a title in absolute terms on a global basis, but certian games do better in certian regions...oh like Borderlands selling 3-to-1 on the 360, even tho it doesn't have a 3-to-1 ratio WW.  But Even if this game was released in Japan, it wouldn' effect the ratio much, given that Japanese aren't into FPS.

2/ You're right, Forza didn't launch 1 week away...it launched the SAME week.  As for ODST, it launched 5 weeks earlier, but was still a major seller on the 360 when Borderlands launched.  Even looking at the current charts, you've also got L4D2 doing gangbuster on the 360, so one can hardly point to UC2 competition, given all the titles selling so well on the 360. 

yeah, my argue are not that grea.

Neverthless, I stick with the post1 of Miguel that I was supporting

Borderland : online + shooter : 360 crowd loving shooter living in NA

/thread

Time to Work !

tedsteriscool said:
Because they didn't get Uncharted 2.

One Uncharted 2 vs Forza 3, ODST and Left 4 Dead 2 and they all sell great...

Uncharted 2 isn't an excuse.